• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who has the highest upside?

Who has the highest upside?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the highest upside (in order of highest to lowest)?

• Canning, Sandoval, Suarez
    • Canning, Suarez, Sandoval
    • Sandoval, Canning, Suarez
    • Sandoval, Suarez, Canning
    • Suarez, Canning, Sandoval
    • Suarez, Sandoval, Canning
    • All about the same/I can't decide

I voted Suarez, Sandoval, Canning, but it is very close - we're talking about #2-3 upside, or #4-5 floor. Suarez's stuff impresses me the most, but I might be getting carried away with "recency bias." I've liked Sandoval a hair better than Canning for awhile. Maybe Canning has the highest floor, though, but I don't like his overall repertoire and mound presence as much.

I voted Canning, Suarez, Sandoval but they are all very very close. Canning has, in my opinion, the best stuff among the three which is why it is so frustrating when he struggles. People also forget that Suarez dominated through the minors despite being probably around 2 years younger than the average age of the competition. Before his call-up, he was receiving a number of high reports of him having the potential to be a 2-3 guy. I always felt the criticism he got was the most unfair among the rest of the group when he first struggled in the majors.

Highest to lowest

1.Canning, 4 pitches that grade average and up, where two of them are plus, and a third that shows flashes of being plus;

Personal Scouting report

fastball: 60

Slider (60) (can flash 65)

Change: 55 ( Flashes 60)

Curve: 50 

Canning has the stuff to be a 2/3, but lack the command/control. He just needs to improve his command/contorl, which i Would grade as average. 

2. Sandoval, 2 plus pitches, a slider that I think can be plus, but would like to see it being used more. I would say that Sandoval and Cannning both have similar upside thos of solid 2/3.

Fastball: 60 

Change: 65 (yup. When it's on, it's unhitable)

Slider: 55 (60)

Similar to Canning, Command/control at time's are issues. I've always compared Sady's stuff to that of Robbie ray and Duffy, who in there primes were solid 3, that had 2 like years. 

3. Suarez; I think we'll get a better idea of what type of pitcher he is as he gets the the chance to start.I don't think he has the stuff to be anything more than 3/4, but it will be his pitchability that determine's if he's a 3 or a 4. 

Fastball: 55

Change: 60

Curve: 50 (55). i'm still iffy on the slider, for me it's either 50 or 55.  

On ething he has over Canning and Sandy, is his ability to Command/control his pitches. 

1. Sandoval's elite two-way change-up puts him just a better fastball away from being a good 2-3 starter that can strike his way out of jams; 2. Canning is just a mental breakthrough away from being similar, but it seems to be a big breakthrough for him to make (Heaney 2.0?); 3. Suarez has nice stuff, but not trust it in the post-season quality stuff. It's still fairly early days in all their careers though, even Canning's only had 40 starts, plenty of time for them all to take another step forwards or to fall back. All part of the fun of following young up and coming players I think, and isn't it nice to be discussing several Angels pitching prospects all with a chance of being good at the MLB level? 

7 minutes ago, WicketMaiden said:

1. Sandoval's elite two-way change-up puts him just a better fastball away from being a good 2-3 starter that can strike his way out of jams; 2. Canning is just a mental breakthrough away from being similar, but it seems to be a big breakthrough for him to make (Heaney 2.0?); 3. Suarez has nice stuff, but not trust it in the post-season quality stuff. It's still fairly early days in all their careers though, even Canning's only had 40 starts, plenty of time for them all to take another step forwards or to fall back. All part of the fun of following young up and coming players I think, and isn't it nice to be discussing several Angels pitching prospects all with a chance of being good at the MLB level? 

All of which is why the best answer is the last one, to which we could add "It is too soon to say." We'll know when we know, and I wouldn't be surprised with any ranking of the three, when all is said and done.

I think the reason I voted on an option that put Canning last is that the other two have done something that he hasn't: taken a noticeable step forward at the major league level. I'm not saying that Canning won't, but he has essentially had the same results over the last three seasons and 200+ IP. Sandoval and Suarez have both taken a big step forward this year, and in 85-90 fewer innings pitched.

1 hour ago, WicketMaiden said:

I agree. Sand, Can, Rez 

The guy performing the worst likely has the highest upside.  I touched on how I feel about Canning in the prospects thread -- I think he's tinkered himself into a complete mess. 

Sandoval is possibly the surest bet simple because he has two legit weapons, one to attack everyone, the other to attack RHBs.  Dude has the FB to succeed but has struggled with it -- I'm betting that's something he improves on with time, experience.

I have always liked Suarez, always believed people were wrong to have punted on him after the way he was rushed.   I'm glad he's seen success thus far this year, he's not as good as his ERA but he's better than he's been in the past.  His FB seems to have played up a bit this year, likely because he's been coming out of the pen and asked to pitch fewer innings.  Don't think he really needs a plus FB to succeed, but he's got the weakest FB of the three and that likely limits his upside.

Mostly I'm glad all three are still here.  I wish Barria was too, but he's behind the others when it comes to upside and IMO unlike these three, he's pretty much a finished product.

On 7/3/2021 at 9:34 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Alas, a pitcher can’t succeed on talent alone.

Canning is lacking that certain something.

Voted for Suarez, Sandoval, and Canning.

I think the issue is in his head and I genuinely believe he needs someone to force him to work on ONE thing instead of tinkering on all his pitches simultaneously.  I have always been leery of guys looking to reinvent themselves.  I said as much with Harvey, Bundy, and Teheran...  I remember getting a bad feeling when I saw a tweet talking about how Canning had changed all his pitches and they were being re-classified as something else.

He's a mess, and I'm glad whoever it is decided to send him down to work on his FB made that decision.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

These three have a really good chance at being the core of an Angel starting rotation that continues to be not good enough to get to the postseason.

Or they could be the second half of a really good rotation that also includes Ohtani, Detmers, and C-Rod.

17 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Or they could be the second half of a really good rotation that also includes Ohtani, Detmers, and C-Rod.

Unfortunately that's now how luck works when it comes to Angels baseball.