• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Mariners @ Angels (6/4/2021): Ohtani starting, hitting 2nd

10 hours ago, Ender said:

The hell he gonna do? He's easily the biggest disappointment the Mariners have ever had so far. 

10 hours ago, Ender said:

Maybe next year after they demote his cocky ass back to AAA soon.

Kelenic for Adell...straight up.

15 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Kelenic for Adell...straight up.

As an Angel fan I’d probably do that.  OBP 100 points higher than his batting average and he plays at the very least a passable centerfield.  They are the same age.  He is left handed.  Yea, I would probably take a chance on a trade like that.  

38 minutes ago, Stradling said:

statcast disagrees.  

and regardless of that, I hate this for a couple other reasons.  

first, a little less Ohtani is still better than Mayers (at some point or anyone else out of the pen maybe sans Iglesias)

second, at some point Ohtani can be totally babied and taken out at the first sign of a slight slip in stuff (even though by the metrics that was totally bullshit).  

and btw, the first two batters that Mayers faced were LHed and Watson was still in the game after a decently efficient 7th.  

18 minutes ago, Stradling said:

As an Angel fan I’d probably do that.  OBP 100 points higher than his batting average and he plays at the very least a passable centerfield.  They are the same age.  He is left handed.  Yea, I would probably take a chance on a trade like that.  

I wouldn't.  Kelenic has the makings of being a problem child.  Adell is cocky but I find him likable.  Maybe Kelenic ends up the better player but I think I'd still rather have Adell.  

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

statcast disagrees.  

and regardless of that, I hate this for a couple other reasons.  

first, a little less Ohtani is still better than Mayers (at some point or anyone else out of the pen maybe sans Iglesias)

second, at some point Ohtani can be totally babied and taken out at the first sign of a slight slip in stuff (even though by the metrics that was totally bullshit).  

and btw, the first two batters that Mayers faced were LHed and Watson was still in the game after a decently efficient 7th.  

Not saying I agree, but what I liked was Ohtani’s humility or at the very least his team first persona to the media.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I wouldn't.  Kelenic has the makings of being a problem child.  Adell is cocky but I find him likable.  Maybe Kelenic ends up the better player but I think I'd still rather have Adell.  

I get all that, but when we talk about Adell there are a couple of things that we mention, defense and working the count, seeing more pitches, plate discipline.  I don’t see those as issues with Kelenic.  They both strike out a ton. I personally have no idea what kind of dude Kelenic is, so if he is a pain in the ass, I could be swayed to change my opinion.  I thought all of the stuff about him was rooted in the part owner admitting they take advantage of the service time aspect and so there was a court of public opinion that he deserved to be in the bigs.  

I don't know it the scouting report or lack of command, but Mayer's pitch usage is different from last year, when he actually had succes. last year he threw his slider really 40% of the time, While this year he is throwing his cutter close to 50%. Well it hasn't worked, time for Mayer's to go back to throwing that slidder more, it still a solid pitch than the cutter. 

If Ohtani himself is saying he felt his stuff was failing off.  I can accept that.  I think Ohtani just is what he is and in some ways you take the good with the bad.   Maybe he just shouldn’t be relied on to start consistently even once a week.  Maybe you expect that typically the pitch threshold is 80-90 pitches.  The Angels have to be able to build around him as he is.  Not try and force a square peg into a round hole so to speak.  I know we all want an “ace” and we all sort of have an idea of what that is.  Maybe. Probably even, he’s just not that.  He’s still an awesome weapon.  The Angels problem seems plainly to be constantly doing a miserable job fielding good teams around the many talented individuals that they have. 

47 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not saying I agree, but what I liked was Ohtani’s humility or at the very least his team first persona to the media.  

maybe I'm wrong but he didn't look happy about coming out.  And I think Ohtani is just a really good guy so his spin to the media will support the team's decision even if he didn't agree.  

2 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

He's bitter he's not the Angels GM. Joe has lots of flaws this year, but carefulness with Ohtani has been handled well. I don't know about others but Ohtani has already pitched more innings than I thought he would this year. 

I don’t know if I think he has pitched more innings, but he has pitched better than I expected.  I also agree that he has been given quite a bit of leeway with how he is being used.  

14 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It seems odd that he went that hard.  Ah well. 

He seemed to forget that he's a GM and not a radio/social media personality.  People can hang onto his nuts here, but it really was unprofessional. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

He seemed to forget that he's a GM and not a radio/social media personality.  People can hang onto his nuts here, but it really was unprofessional. 

So GM's and people in the game of baseball can't share their opinions on baseball moves? That's news to me. 

I don't see anything wrong with the opinion he made. There wasn't anything unprofessional about it. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

There’s nothing unprofessional about what he said. He’s passionate about the team, and like any fan here, has every right to voice his opinion.

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So GM's and people in the game of baseball can't share their opinions on baseball moves? That's news to me. 

I don't see anything wrong with the opinion he made. There wasn't anything unprofessional about it. 

Sure they can, it's just unprofessional to blast a manager of another organization. When have you ever seen that happen before? 

2 minutes ago, failos said:

There’s nothing unprofessional about what he said. He’s passionate about the team, and like any fan here, has every right to voice his opinion.

Passionate about what team? He's a GM in a different organization, not ours. Also, he's not just a fan.