• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout placed on 10 day IL with right calf strain, estimated to miss 6-8 weeks

mmc

9 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

You don't know if he will or won't and what Angels would do. He also has a no trade contract, I just think he might ask someday. He wants to win and halos are in 6th straight losing season. So maybe Angels will want to get out of the contract since year after year after year play under 500. Thanks for all the knowledge that he is getting paid while injured and that he is under contract. So halos pay his medical bills?

Yawn!

He just signed an extension.  If he didnt want to be here he would just waited for free agency.

Halos insurance pays the medical bill.  The premium is paid if he is hurt or not!

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I dont even care so much for how BADLY this hurts the team. But it sucks that he was off to such a hot start, how this will hurt his numbers at the end. Ugh

I fucking hate when Trout is on the IL, formerly the DL. We’ve been robbed of Trout having to play a 162-game season in 2020. I don’t care if he gets the all-time home run record of 762 home runs by Bonds but I would love to see Trout get to at least 700 or close to that. And now with all of these damn injuries the last few seasons that he’s had to endured. I wouldn’t say that he has no chance of finishing in the top-5 in the AL MVP this season. He did ended up fourth in the voting in 2017 despite missing 48 games that season. 

10 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

1 game.  And the Angels still lost. 🤷‍♂️

Yes but he did his job. He could have very well had three hits last night as well. 

Walsh and Rendon and a host of others didn't do their jobs last night. 

Heaney and Gosselin primarily. 

Trout's injuries start to mount.

https://www.theringer.com/mlb/2021/5/19/22443240/mike-trout-angels-injuries-impacting-record-breaking-pursuits

From 2012 through 2016, the first half-decade of his reign as the best player in baseball, Trout never took a single trip to the injured list, nor did he ever miss more than three Angels games in a row after being called up for good from the minor leagues.

But over the last half-decade, the Angels’ star center fielder has become far too acquainted with the IL. He missed 39 games in 2017 with a torn thumb ligament. He missed 19 games in 2018 because of wrist inflammation. He missed 19 more games in 2019 after foot surgery. And now he’s expected to miss six to eight weeks in 2021 with a calf strain, suffered while jogging on the basepaths Monday night.

Every baseball player is one big injury away from being done.  That's why I try to watch as many games as I can, because you can't take guys like Trout and Ohtani for granted.

One thing I've always been curious about is how much time players spend stretching.  I always think about Ichiro who was always stretching.  Even when he was standing in the outfield, he'd be stretching.  The guy had a long career and I don't think he ever had any leg injuries (I don't know for sure).

Every game that Trout misses is unfortunate in that it slows his assault on the record books.  More importantly, it weakens the Angels chances of winning. 

I feel like we've all been robbed of something special.

18 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

I fucking hate when Trout is on the IL, formerly the DL. We’ve been robbed of Trout having to play a 162-game season in 2020. I don’t care if he gets the all-time home run record of 762 home runs by Bonds but I would love to see Trout get to at least 700 or close to that. And now with all of these damn injuries the last few seasons that he’s had to endured. I wouldn’t say that he has no chance of finishing in the top-5 in the AL MVP this season. He did ended up fourth in the voting in 2017 despite missing 48 games that season. 

I'd say Trout's chances of reaching 700 are about 5%. If he averages 30 a year (including inevitable injuries) through the rest of his contract, he'd just barely make it to 600. To get to 700 he'd have to average about 40 per year, which isn't going to happen with his injury-prone nature and the reduction in HR overall.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd say Trout's chances of reaching 700 are about 5%. If he averages 30 a year (including inevitable injuries) through the rest of his contract, he'd just barely make it to 600. To get to 700 he'd have to average about 40 per year, which isn't going to happen with his injury-prone nature and the reduction in HR overall.

Yep.  My guess is that he'll end up in Reggie Jackson/Harmon Killebrew territory (~560-570) when all is said and done.  That said, I could also imagine a scenario where he shifts into more of a pure slugger mode in the next few years, sacrificing some avg and OBP for some bigger swings.  If that happens, 600 would obviously become more likely.

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yep.  My guess is that he'll end up in Reggie Jackson/Harmon Killebrew territory (~560-570) when all is said and done.  That said, I could also imagine a scenario where he shifts into more of a pure slugger mode in the next few years, sacrificing some avg and OBP for some bigger swings.  If that happens, 600 would obviously become more likely.

I hope not, and this year--at least the first month--seemed to imply that he was going back to a more pure hitter mode. I'd much prefer a Trout that hits .310 with 35 HR than one that hits .270 with 40.

We also don't know how he'll age. I started a long article trying to figure that out and it led me back to where I started: no clue. The closest comp in major league history, in terms of both skills and stats, is Mickey Mantle: they're essentially the exact same player. But Mantle had chronic injuries. Trout may be injury prone, but thankfully it isn't one thing. Mantle was hurt in his rookie year and always playing in pain (he had a childhood injury that weakened his legs). By the time he reached his early 30s, his legs were done. Plus, Mantle was a drinker, so that didn't help.

On the other hand, the guys that age well tend to be lanky (Mays, Aaron, Bonds before roids), and Trout is built more like a big first baseman, and we know how they age.

But yeah, I think your prediction is about right, but I could also see him pushing and surpassing 600. 

My best guess is that he remains in peak form for another few years, then starts to decline in terms of speed and defense around age 32, although remains an elite hitter for another few years. Something like:

2021-24 (age 29-32): 8-9 WAR, ~35 HR per year (bringing him up to around 105 WAR, 450 HR)

2025-28 (age 33-36): 5-7 WAR, ~30 HR per year (130 WAR, 570 HR)

2029-31 (age 37-39): 2-4 WAR, ~20 HR per year (140 WAR, 630 HR)

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I hope not, and this year--at least the first month--seemed to imply that he was going back to a more pure hitter mode. I'd much prefer a Trout that hits .310 with 35 HR than one that hits .270 with 40.

We also don't know how he'll age. I started a long article trying to figure that out and it led me back to where I started: no clue. The closest comp in major league history, in terms of both skills and stats, is Mickey Mantle: they're essentially the exact same player. But Mantle had chronic injuries. Trout may be injury prone, but thankfully it isn't one thing. Mantle was hurt in his rookie year and always playing in pain (he had a childhood injury that weakened his legs). By the time he reached his early 30s, his legs were done. Plus, Mantle was a drinker, so that didn't help.

On the other hand, the guys that age well tend to be lanky (Mays, Aaron, Bonds before roids), and Trout is built more like a big first baseman, and we know how they age.

But yeah, I think your prediction is about right, but I could also see him pushing and surpassing 600. 

My best guess is that he remains in peak form for another few years, then starts to decline in terms of speed and defense around age 32, although remains an elite hitter for another few years. Something like:

2021-24 (age 29-32): 8-9 WAR, ~35 HR per year (bringing him up to around 105 WAR, 450 HR)

2025-28 (age 33-36): 5-7 WAR, ~30 HR per year (130 WAR, 570 HR)

2029-31 (age 37-39): 2-4 WAR, ~20 HR per year (140 WAR, 630 HR)

You forgot to factor in curses associated with playing for the Angels. 

4 hours ago, True Grich said:

Every baseball player is one big injury away from being done.  That's why I try to watch as many games as I can, because you can't take guys like Trout and Ohtani for granted.

One thing I've always been curious about is how much time players spend stretching.  I always think about Ichiro who was always stretching.  Even when he was standing in the outfield, he'd be stretching.  The guy had a long career and I don't think he ever had any leg injuries (I don't know for sure).

Every game that Trout misses is unfortunate in that it slows his assault on the record books.  More importantly, it weakens the Angels chances of winning. 

I feel like we've all been robbed of something special.

Agreed. To me, bea beyond being an Angel. For baseball as a whole, him being our, and the effect on his numbers, sucks. But i guess all the guys before him can say the same.

Another thing about Ichiro. I remember reading he had some funky routine for his feet after every game, which he always preached was important for his leg health