• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mike Trout placed on 10 day IL with right calf strain, estimated to miss 6-8 weeks

mmc

21 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I think you gotta do whatever it takes at this point to play .500 baseball. We're only 6 games behind the A's.

If the team just seriously tanks in the next few weeks then I agree, call up Marsh for CF. 

Gotta agree with our twitter guy (whichever one it was who tweeted this). 

I remember 1962 halos in second noway could they win. Angels that year first place July 1 and 3 games out on September 1. Games played on the field, look at Tampa they do not have any big name stars. Games played on the field. LET"S GO HALOS.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think it is safe to call Trout "injury prone."

I actually kinda agree with this, too, even though I'm sure others will disagree.  From 2013-2016, he essentially played every single day (between 157-159 games every year).  If you establish that as his baseline, over the next 3 years, he missed somewhere in the neighborhood of half a season's worth of games due to injury, and now this 6-8 week injury. To me, that adds up to "injury prone."

Trout's games played, 2017-21:

2017: 114 (-48)

2018: 140 (-22)

2019: 134 (-28)

2020: 53 (-7)

2021: ~120 (-35+ estimate)

So, on average, from 2017-21, not including 2020, he averages around 125 games played, missing at least 22 games per season. Meaning, he's an 85%-time player, at best.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

I actually kinda agree with this, too, even though I'm sure others will disagree.  From 2013-2016, he essentially played every single day (between 157-159 games every year).  If you establish that as his baseline, over the next 3 years, he missed somewhere in the neighborhood of half a season's worth of games due to injury, and now this 6-8 week injury. To me, that adds up to "injury prone."

Yup. See my post above this one.

Just now, Angelsjunky said:

2017: 114

2018: 140

2019: 134

2020: 53

2021: ~120 (estimate)

So, on average, from 2017-21, not including 2020, he averages around 125 games played, missing at least 22 games per season. Meaning, he's an 85%-time player, at best.

Yep, I basically posted a condensed version of this just a minute ago.  Agree with you.

1 minute ago, Justin said:

This is the kind of day where the starting pitcher mans up and says "I know we got dealt a blow, but I am not letting us lose today" and then goes out and pitches the game of his life.  

Lemme check who the starter is. 

Oh.

Never mind. 

Yeah I have no faith in Heaney. He's definitely no Weaver when it comes to growing a pair and pitching lights after something like this.

6 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

It's one thing for him to tear his thumb ligament while sliding (2017) or jam his wrist (2018), but injuries like needing surgery for a neuroma on the bottom of his foot (late 2019) and now straining his calf while going half-speed.. it's very concerning.

Just now, Justin said:

It's one thing for him to tear his thumb ligament while sliding (2017) or jam his wrist (early 2019), but injuries like needing surgery for a neuroma on the bottom of his foot (late 2019) and now straining his calf while going half-speed.. it's very concerning.

Yep. This is the problem with his body type: lots of weight on his legs. We saw it destroy Albert's career. At the least, the dude needs to take up yoga.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yep. This is the problem with his body type: lots of weight on his legs. We saw it destroy Albert's career. At the least, the dude needs to take up yoga.

What's the solution? (Asking seriously, not sarcastically.) Slim down? Play a different position?

7 minutes ago, Justin said:

What's the solution? (Asking seriously, not sarcastically.) Slim down? Play a different position?

You could make the case both sliming down (yoga can be good for this) and moving to LF would be at least a start and perhaps the solution for the next few years.  

The Angels need to quit sitting around waiting for Trout to win games for them. For the next 6 weeks they have to show they are a team and not just a support system for one player. Then, once they realize they can play and win without him when he returns they will win with him and the pressure will be off Trout to be the everything. If they can't gell into something resembling a winner then maybe the entire lot of them need to go. 

32 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I still don't agree with the tag injury-prone - but I think we're likely talking semantics here. I would call Judge injury prone, Stanton too, players that have multiple injuries every year and are on and off the IL Trout has had one injury per season, all different injuries and not a recurring problem, and is on the IL I think for only his second time. The way Trout plays the game at 100% every play that is likely to occur every season just due to happenstance. So he is an injury risk - hence the no stealing bases - but not injury prone just because, like the others I mentioned. So, I'm not really worried, it's just Trout being Trout.

I agree that Trout is injury prone but some of the games he missed the past few years were due to his brother in law's death and his child being born. If you guys took that into account when you posted his games missed, disregard. If not,  how many games does that add up to? I know it's a small number but just curious. 

To throw into the discussion as well,  wasn't his dad's career derailed by injuries?