• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

This team...

3 minutes ago, eligrba said:

As much as I hate watching the Angels lose, I really, really hate knowing the Mariners and A's are playing well. 

And they aren't supposed to be.

The A's I understand. They have overperformed for 2 decades now.

The M's? They are not a good team. 

Still early. But it would be typical Angels luck if Oakland ends up winning 95 games and Seattle wins wins 94.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2021 at 10:13 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Starter ERAs: 1.04, 4.50, 5.65, 5.68, 5.68, 9.00

Minasian's splashes except for Slegers--Fowler, Cobb, Quintana, the two Iglesiases, Cishek, Claudio--have sucked.

Fletcher, Pujols, and Rojas have been terrible.

Stassi and Rendon hurt.

Angels Baseball at its finest.

The reverse juju doesn't seem to have worked ..

Honestly, until they get the defense straightened out nothing will work..

I'd say we shouldn't grade Minasian until maybe a third of the way through the season, say June 1. The nature of last year was so weird and players still haven't equalized. By that point we should have a better sense of things. 

Cobb, despite his ERA, has looked pretty good. it is hard to get around a .431 BABIP allowed - that is mostly not his fault. His FIP is 2.50 compared to a 5.48 ERA...the gap is almost never more than a run, usually less than half a run. Meaning, he should see his ERA plummet and end up somewhere in the 3.50 - 4.00 range by season's end. Quintana has been really bad, but also has a huge FIP/ERA gap (10.59 to 4.58!) that implies he should improve substantially.

The bullpen looks questionable, but again, I'd like to see how it shapes up over the next month. Raisel has been awful, but it may be nerves as his K and BB rates are excellent.

Jose Iglesias should even out in terms of his defense.

The bench...well, its a problem. But it should improve as players like Rengifo, Marsh, and Thaiss get some reps in the minors and replace Gosselin, Schebler, and Rojas.

The biggest concern, in my opinion, is the defense. Something is fundamentally off. Hopefully it can be improved, but it is hard to fix fundamentals in-season. Who knows, maybe just some contagious nerves.

The other big problem is the continued playing time of Albert Pujols. He's really hurting the team and there's no excuse to play him over Ward or Thaiss.

26 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I'd say we shouldn't grade Minasian until maybe a third of the way through the season, say June 1. The nature of last year was so weird and players still haven't equalized. By that point we should have a better sense of things. 

Cobb, despite his ERA, has looked pretty good. it is hard to get around a .431 BABIP allowed - that is mostly not his fault. His FIP is 2.50 compared to a 5.48 ERA...the gap is almost never more than a run, usually less than half a run. Meaning, he should see his ERA plummet and end up somewhere in the 3.50 - 4.00 range by season's end. Quintana has been really bad, but also has a huge FIP/ERA gap (10.59 to 4.58!) that implies he should improve substantially.

The bullpen looks questionable, but again, I'd like to see how it shapes up over the next month. Raisel has been awful, but it may be nerves as his K and BB rates are excellent.

Jose Iglesias should even out in terms of his defense.

The bench...well, its a problem. But it should improve as players like Rengifo, Marsh, and Thaiss get some reps in the minors and replace Gosselin, Schebler, and Rojas.

The biggest concern, in my opinion, is the defense. Something is fundamentally off. Hopefully it can be improved, but it is hard to fix fundamentals in-season. Who knows, maybe just some contagious nerves.

The other big problem is the continued playing time of Albert Pujols. He's really hurting the team and there's no excuse to play him over Ward or Thaiss.

Yikes. They’re going to need a lot of luck