• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should Dipoto go before Scioscia?

Torridd

There's been a lot of talk about Scioscia being fired, but I get the feeling that Dipoto (first hired, first fired) could go first, not that it will be soon.

We mostly speculate that Arte has been the wheels behind the Pujols/Wilson/Hamilton signings, but if we're wrong Arte has a lot of ammunition to get rid of Dipoto with the addition of the Blanton debacle.

My philosophy is giving people a chance and I don't prescribe to firing Dipoto now.

Still, it seems to me the problem is more the personnel than how they are run.

There's been a lot of talk about Scioscia being fired, but I get the feeling that Dipoto (first hired, first fired) could go first, not that it will be soon.

We mostly speculate that Arte has been the wheels behind the Pujols/Wilson/Hamilton signings, but if we're wrong Arte has a lot of ammunition to get rid of Dipoto with the addition of the Blanton debacle.

My philosophy is giving people a chance and I don't prescribe to firing Dipoto now.

I think you can blame Dipoto for Blanton.  

The question is, is he to blame for Hamilton?  If Moreno pushed for Hamilton and got what he wanted then Arte needs to STFU and let his GM put his team together.  Hamilton was a bad fit for the Angels, a bad for the manager, a bad fit any way you slice it other than he was a lefty.  Best of all, he cost the team a draft choice and 125 mil.   I didn't like that he signed injured pitchers but, 5 mil for Madsen could just as easily be viewed as high risk high reward for a pretty easy to swallow amount of money.  But if he was actually COUNTING on him to be ready by opening day you have to put that on him too.    I like JD's vision for the team, I do wonder if maybe his faith in some of his hires is a bit misplaced.  

Pujols being hurt, the defense falling apart....  Not sure how anyone can blame either MS or JD for that.  Guys forgetting how to hit with men on base.  Hard to blame JD, if you try, you can blame the manager.

The failure of the defense has really impacted this team in a very negative way.  Captain Obvious comment, I know.

Dipoto should get 2 more seasons after this one.

Even J. Pierpont Reagins got 4 years before being reassigned.

Reagins' undoing was the Napoli/Wells action, but he was pretty good otherwise. If Dipoto is the driver behind the above acquisitions, he doesn't deserve the same leeway.

Depends on how much involvement Arte had for Pujols and Hamilton.  

Blanton was a bad signing.  But Vargas and Hanson (still to be seen, but before his issues he was an under 4 era) have been good pickups.  Santana was a mistake, but many of us would have done the same thing.  And Haren seems to have been a good decision.  

Madsen, he is what he is.  I thought he was picked up more for future trades than as a reliable reliever/closer.  

And even if you include Pujols and Hamilton.  They are so underperforming, that I can't blame the GM entirely.  Heck, if both had even a .750 OPS, the team would look a lot different.  And that's not asking much considering how they were performing before in their careers.

It has been stated before that Pujols and Hamilton were Arte's moves.  I do blame Dipoto for Wilson/Blanton but the rest of his moves are meh.  Bullpen help was not there this last season.

I am not a huge fan of his moves but I think he gets more time.  Scioscia on the other hand has been given 3.5 seasons now and he has gotten worse, not better.

Depends on how much involvement Arte had for Pujols and Hamilton.  

Blanton was a bad signing.  But Vargas and Hanson (still to be seen, but before his issues he was an under 4 era) have been good pickups.  Santana was a mistake, but many of us would have done the same thing.  And Haren seems to have been a good decision.  

Madsen, he is what he is.  I thought he was picked up more for future trades than as a reliable reliever/closer.  

And even if you include Pujols and Hamilton.  They are so underperforming, that I can't blame the GM entirely.  Heck, if both had even a .750 OPS, the team would look a lot different.  And that's not asking much considering how they were performing before in their careers.

Someone mentioned in another thread that it's possible Scioscia is to blame for their downfalls. I don't know how, but is that possible? I would think that only a fire and brimstone manager could do that.

I say wait until the season is over. No one is going to come in now and make a difference.

I blame DiPoto more than Sosh. We blame Mike for his bullpen moves, but its kind of like a chef going to an empty refrigerator, and people expecting results.

I think Arte was hell bent on getting revenge on Texas for the Napoli fiasco. He got tired of watching Naps slip us the wood at pretty much every opportunity. He was banking on Hamilton paying them back on his behalf. 

No one gets fired because they're all responsible. Arte went after the big splashes and they've failed him. Dipoto handled the smaller acquisitions and that failed. Scioscia looks worn out and less interested since Dipoto took the reigns. The players themselves with the exception of Mike Trout failed to match their own hype. This is a shared blame situation and Arte knows it.

I say wait until the season is over. No one is going to come in now and make a difference.

I blame DiPoto more than Sosh. We blame Mike for his bullpen moves, but its kind of like a chef going to an empty refrigerator, and people expecting results.

I think Arte was hell bent on getting revenge on Texas for the Napoli fiasco. He got tired of watching Naps slip us the wood at pretty much every opportunity. He was banking on Hamilton paying them back on his behalf. 

If Arte wants revenge for the Napoli fiasco he needs to look no further than the big catorce.

It is pure speculation that Pujols and Hamilton were Arte deals.  He no doubt had to approve the contracts, but until someone in the FO steps up and asserts that (which they won't), we don't know the answer.  I suspect that with the new TV deal, they had money to spend and Arte is a marketing driven guy and liked the splashy big names.

Where I fault Dipoto is with his other FA signings.  None have worked out.

Defense has been a real problem this year.  Why Trout's defense has slipped is a mystery, same with Callaspo's.  I just don't see the rationale for blaming Scioscia for everything from needing 22 pitchers so far, Hamilton is a bust and Blanton and Hanson are bad signings. 

Reagins' undoing was the Napoli/Wells action, but he was pretty good otherwise. If Dipoto is the driver behind the above acquisitions, he doesn't deserve the same leeway.

Reagins was also responsible for the Kazmir and Haren trade.

He also resigned Abreu and added in a vesting option that year should have been club option that because a complete waste of money.

He also gave Scioscia the retarded 10 year extension.

He was responsible for far more than the wells and napoli trade which is inexcusable on its own.

I was under the impression that DiPoto is a stats type of guy and looks for players with better than average OBP. Could it be that the philosophies between Sosh and DiPoto have yet to come together? I really think that we have to wait and see if their individual philosphies can be combined and create a winning combination. As for Sosh, he seems to have abandoned the running game and may be trying reestablish what works best for him, the team and the organization.

No.

I guess how I look at it is, when one big money FA signing (Pujols) fails, you don't make up for it by doing another one (Hackilton).

Two wrongs don't make a right, and at some point you have to take a step back.

If Arte/JeDi avoid any similar signings this off-season, then that gives me the first hope that they are embarking the right way.

But if say Cano is signed, all bets are off.

Reagins was also responsible for the Kazmir and Haren trade.

He also resigned Abreu and added in a vesting option that year should have been club option that because a complete waste of money.

He also gave Scioscia the retarded 10 year extension.

He was responsible for far more than the wells and napoli trade which is inexcusable on its own.

I don't think Kazmir nor Haren were bad signings. I'll give you Abreu, but no way did Reagins give Scioscia a 10-yr. contract on his own.