• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Royals (3/19/2021) Bundy on the bump!

Chuck

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

Adams?  That's wishful thinking.

Adams is completely overmatched at the plate right now. Understandable considering his lack of experience.

Didn't someone just post that Adell is six months older than Adams, too?

Fans are rough on elite prospects 

Maybe he meant down the line.  In two years, we could see Adams in CF, Trout in LF, Marsh in RF, and Adell .. at DH?  

I have to say, he does look stunningly awful defensively.  You don't usually see prospects struggle to that degree on the defensive end.

3 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Worse than Upton is being kind. He's basically Marcel Ozuna on a bad day.

I work with a lot of Cardinal fans and this clip gets used pretty often in the various group chats.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Wow. Just when you didn't think Adell could get worse in the outfield defensively. 

The ball drops right next to him on the warning track, hops over the fence for a ground rule double in CF for two runs. 

WTF.

He's gotta be thinking..."Please don't hit it to me!"

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I missed him last year, and havent seen him at all this year. But does he look legit? As in last year wasnt a fluke?

I don't think last year was a fluke. It was a small sample size, and I don't think he's that good, but I think he's far closer to that than his career numbers indicate.

Mainly, he's in the prime of his career and I don't see him getting a luxurious contract because he has a longer history of being average at best. 

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don't think last year was a fluke. It was a small sample size, and I don't think he's that good, but I think he's far closer to that than his career numbers indicate.

Mainly, he's in the prime of his career and I don't see him getting a luxurious contract because he has a longer history of being average at best. 

I agree.  I'd opt to extend/sign him over Heaney.  I'm assuming we'll make an attempt at one of them while allowing the other to depart, but we'll see.

Kinda nervous about Rodriguez and Detmers to the pen this year, while I get the arguments for ... these guys are going to be massive for the organisations future over the coming years and I really am wary about doing anything that may hamper their development, 

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Chris Rodriguez is SIIIIIIICK. 

Man, I'm warming to the idea of him becoming a member of our late inning bullpen. Maybe use him the same we did with Shields. 

I would think it depends on what they ultimately view his future as.

I think if they want him to be a SP, they should probably help him start on that path this year and start building him up at the alternate site / AAA.

If they think, though, that his health won't permit him to be a SP, then by all means, I'd deploy him as a reliever now, as the stuff plays well.

I would possibly consider him later in the season in a relief role, if it looks like we're on the verge of making the playoffs, as we could certainly use his stuff in some capacity.  

As for Detmers, while Maddon mentioned him as a possibility, I would certainly like him to be stretched out as a SP and get reps.

10 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'll add that pitching in Baltimore didn't help him at all. Having to make half his starts in that ballpark, and facing some pretty good Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays teams on the regular was probably enough to keep his ERA in the 4 or 5 range, when I really think he's a mid to upper 3s ERA guy. I don't think he's an ace by any means, but he could be the 2/3 starter on a pretty decent team.

20 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

If he has a full season like last year he is going to get paid. Teams wont care all that much about his history with Baltimore.

23 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

If he has a full season like last year he is going to get paid. Teams wont care all that much about his history with Baltimore.

Well, he's going to get "paid" but there's absolutely no way he gets 20+ million a year.

Regardless, I don't think he's going to pitch that well. 

5 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

A play any minor leaguer should make? 

I’m starting to think that he’s going the Sax/Knoblauch route, only with catching fly balls.   It’s like he’s totally stumped?

If he were playing slo-pitch softball he would have to be the catcher.

3 hours ago, ScottT said:

Adams?  That's wishful thinking.

Adams is completely overmatched at the plate right now. Understandable considering his lack of experience.

Didn't someone just post that Adell is six months older than Adams, too?

Fans are rough on elite prospects 

Sorry i wasn't very clear. Adams would be after Upton is gone. I would think by then Trout could move to lf, Adams in cf, Marsh in rf. Our OF of the future. Adell would split dh with Ohtani.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

He just changed who he was as a pitcher.  Actually, he is a guy that could be said stopped being a thrower and finally became a pitcher.  Dude was still trying to throw a FB that he had lost years ago and was no longer effective.  He deserves a ton of credit for embracing what he had to do to be successful.

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Vlad Jr. is concerned that Adell won't be able to stick in the outfield and might have to move to DH. 

Is this true?

With Adell's athleticism, and the fact that most DHs are great hitters.  He loses most of his value being a DH, he HAS to find a way to become a reliable defender.  His apparent trouble reading a ball off the bat doesn't explain the high fly balls being dropped/missed.  Perhaps he just needs reps on long/high fly balls in different lighting conditions.

3 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

Is this true?

With Adell's athleticism, and the fact that most DHs are great hitters.  He loses most of his value being a DH, he HAS to find a way to become a reliable defender.  Reading a ball off the bat doesn't explain the high fly balls being dropped/missed.

He's being sarcastic.

Adell will not ever be a DH. 

37 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Adell really has no excuse to be a bad defender. That's why it's so frustrating to watch him play so abysmally. 

I get it. It's absolutely frustrating, I agree. But baseball is really, really hard. I don't think there's "no excuse". He's incredibly athletic but it doesn't matter how fast he can run or how high he can jump if he doesn't know how to take good routes or judge how far a ball is hit. Right now he looks like he's never used a glove in his life. 

He'll improve, but I don't think anyone should be expecting a good or even decent defensive player. He clearly doesn't have the instincts to be that. Hopefully his athleticism will eventually make up for some of his deficiencies.

I mean if you’ve paid attention to Adell’s career, you’ll notice he really struggles when he gets to a new level. Last year was no different and the curve should be steeper—it’s the show. But he has always adjusted. It’s really odd to think he will never be a competent fielder. He’s 21. Players are incapable of getting better when they’re 21? You can’t talk about instincts and ability unless you watched him play the field in AA, AAA, Fall Ball, and the Futures Game. If you watched that, would you say he can’t field naturally? If you watched him bat the last 3 years, you might think he would never walk—just Whiff or Whack. He’s growing. Development is not always linear. Why anybody think he is destined to be a DH is beyond me. He needs reps, and 3 full months in AAA will help him tremendously. 

7 minutes ago, ThisismineScios said:

I mean if you’ve paid attention to Adell’s career, you’ll notice he really struggles when he gets to a new level. Last year was no different and the curve should be steeper—it’s the show. But he has always adjusted. It’s really odd to think he will never be a competent fielder. He’s 21. Players are incapable of getting better when they’re 21? You can’t talk about instincts and ability unless you watched him play the field in AA, AAA, Fall Ball, and the Futures Game. If you watched that, would you say he can’t field naturally? If you watched him bat the last 3 years, you might think he would never walk—just Whiff or Whack. He’s growing. Development is not always linear. Why anybody think he is destined to be a DH is beyond me. He needs reps, and 3 full months in AAA will help him tremendously. 

The concern is that outfielders tend to resolve the problems Adell is having way back in High School ball, these are arguably instinctual things where you either have it or you don't, that's the worry.  I'm sure he will get better with time but there is a chance he will never be a good judge of fly balls.

1 minute ago, ThisismineScios said:

I get you, and I agree with you on the offensive side of things. It's just that the stuff he is struggling with defensively, namely tracking balls and taking good routes, are things that most college freshmen are much better at than he is. It's just concerning because he's had a few years of experience in pro ball now and that skill hasn't fully developed yet. Most other OFers would be much more advanced on that front, and I'm sure people have noticed this before and tried to work with him on it. I would find it really hard to believe that they haven't. So while I certainly hope he can improve when it comes to tracking balls/taking routes, I'm not super confident that he will.