• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why position players and not pitchers?

Torridd

5 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I don't quite understand why the Angels make big free agency strides for position players (Rendon, Pujols, etc.) and not pitchers. Is it a philosophy? It's hard to believe the organization is unlucky in always being a free agency also-ran in these situations. 

I could give you the answer but I will simply sound like an apologist.  Here is my list of free agents and the reasons I remember.

Greinke- we weren’t going to outbid the Dodgers, then got an insane amount of money ($206 million from the DBacks)

Corbin- wanted to pitch back east

Wheeler- wanted to pitch back east

Ryu- missed opportunity?  My personal belief is it was too much risk based on health.

Cole- wanted to pitch for the Yankees, Arte offered $300 million

Keuchel- not big money, but certainly a missed opportunity.  

Strasburg- stayed put in DC (thank god)

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I could give you the answer but I will simply sound like an apologist.  Here is my list of free agents and the reasons I remember.

Greinke- we weren’t going to outbid the Dodgers, then got an insane amount of money ($206 million from the DBacks)

Ryu- missed opportunity?  My personal belief is it was too much risk based on health.

We did get CJ Wilson at the time seemed like a good deal

33 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I for one would love to hear your actual answer to that one.   No sarcasm, im legit curious. 

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

I for one would love to hear your actual answer to that one.   No sarcasm, im legit curious. 

What do you want to know?  Do I believe Wheeler and Corbin wanted to pitch back east, yes.  Why, because they said so at the time, then ended up doing just that.  Do I believe there is a world where we can outbid the Dodgers or the Yankees, no.  Do I wish we would have signed Keuchel for 3 years and $54 million, yes, but I do think we regret the third year.  Would I like it if the Angels signed Ryu, sure, but 4 years and $80 million for a guy who averaged 20 starts a year for his career because of injury, with his physique going into age 33, hard pass.  Those are my opinions.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What do you want to know?  Do I believe Wheeler and Corbin wanted to pitch back east, yes.  Why, because they said so at the time, then ended up doing just that.  Do I believe there is a world where we can outbid the Dodgers or the Yankees, no.  Do I wish we would have signed Keuchel for 3 years and $54 million, yes, but I do think we regret the third year.  Would I like it if the Angels signed Ryu, sure, but 4 years and $80 million for a guy who averaged 20 starts a year for his career because of injury, with his physique going into age 33, hard pass.  Those are my opinions.  

OK well we knew that i was referring to your comment about 'i could give you the answer but instead" thus and so... Thought you had something different in mind.  
Thanks

95%+ of the time free agents go for the biggest money, regardless of the team offering it. A player's preference comes in when offered equal or very similar amounts. I mean, if you're Gerrit Cole, do you want to play for the greatest sports franchise in the world in the greatest city in the world or the Angels in Anaheim? (I know, the weather, but...).

When you look at the big free agent contracts the Angels have given, they outbid everyone by a substantial amount. I believe the Cardinals offered Pujols $200M and the Angels upped that by 25%. No one wanted Hamilton for the money they gave him. I don't know what Rendon was offered, but am pretty sure no one offered $35M AAV.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah said:

It is harder to project the health and performance of pitchers than it is for position players. In FA, position players are a safer long-term bet (some positional flexibility, the use of the DH in the AL). 

So the Angels have a more "hold" attitude than "hit me" one for pitchers essentially?

53 minutes ago, Fourts said:

The real problem was the lack of drafting (US draft & Int'l FA) pitchers and developing them internally.  This goes back the last 5-8 years prior to the 2020 draft.  Signing pitchers in FA are actually a very bad investment in general & historically speaking.

So why do they try?

• Chuck changed the title to Why position players and not pitchers?
3 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

We did get CJ Wilson at the time seemed like a good deal

I don’t get the CJ Wilson bashing (as a player).  He did his job as an Angel starter.

The dude was a little weird on the personal side, but I don’t ever understand referencing Wilson as an example of a bad free agent signing.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

I don’t get the CJ Wilson bashing (as a player).  He did his job as an Angel starter.

The dude was a little weird on the personal side, but I don’t ever understand referencing Wilson as an example of a bad free agent signing.

You work at one of his dealerships, don't you?

I don’t count Pujols, as Arte also gave Wilson a big contract, not to mention Weaver. But since then? I'd say it's a product of circumstance. 

I think Hamilton was a pivot. In hindsight this was a horrifyingly awful decision, but at the time it only seemed like a risky one. The others just kind of came about because of need. Upton was signed because we had a hole in LF for like, a decade. 

I think Rendon was also a pivot but given the stories I've read recently it may have been a legit possibility we would have gotten Cole as well had he chosen to sign here. Not to mention 3B had also been a massive hole for this organization.

11 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I don’t count Pujols, as Arte also gave Wilson a big contract, not to mention Weaver. But since then? I'd say it's a product of circumstance. 

I think Hamilton was a pivot. In hindsight this was a horrifyingly awful decision, but at the time it only seemed like a risky one. The others just kind of came about because of need. Upton was signed because we had a hole in LF for like, a decade. 

I think Rendon was also a pivot but given the stories I've read recently it may have been a legit possibility we would have gotten Cole as well had he chosen to sign here. Not to mention 3B had also been a massive hole for this organization.

I think Hamilton was Arte going all in, especially after we lost grienke. Wed been winning for so long, that arte probably assumed adding another MVP to go back to back w albert would be his manny/ortiz combo. 

At the time I think a lot felt that way (with few realizing the problems it would cost w the draft, a weakening farm, etc etc).

Horrible, horrible move. And I got bumped a few years ago for saying it at the time (but i said it for the wrong reasons, not what it ended up being). Albert and hamilton sunk the team for better part of the decade. But at the time, it seemed like a "wowwwww" move.

Essentially, once arte got pujols, it created a situation where we needed to justify it. The problem, aside from albert himself, was the pitching market. It got lean, and real expensive. And we had no farm to bail us out. So we bought hitters... who sucked.

We created a mess. But at the time, a decade ago, most fans were clamoring for it.

To be fair, we could have fixed a ton of problems trading trout a few years back... but fans would have gone apeshit if we did that too

52 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

So basically bad luck?