• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Full interview with Angels GM Perry Minasian!

Docwaukee

46 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

I imagine that if there are bargains available every team will be looking to grab them.

Well, yes and no - supply and demand.

There are likely going to be quite a few teams who sit this offseason out and don't really sign anyone at all.

Some positions, such as SP, will always see demand.  I imagine SP will be impacted, but to a far lesser degree than other positions.

There will likely be a flood of relievers on the market, and with so few teams participating, there are likely a ton of bargains to be had.  As long as a GM doesn't say they *MUST* get this one specific guy, and keeps their options open, there will likely be quite a few good relievers available at a very low cost.

Same goes for 2B, corner OFers, etc.

1 hour ago, Mark68 said:

In the article, it did state that with projected payroll at $174 MM and the luxury tax threshold expected to be at $210 MM, that does leave some wiggle room (if the luxury tax is the hard cap for Moreno).

It isn't. This is something fans have gotten in their head and it's been debunked many times. In the last few years, their budget has been well below the tax. They are not spending that much, their budget is based on internal determinations. Expect it to be comparable to last year. 

22 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

We finally got a guy that looks like he works on 2 hours of sleep a night.  Eppler and Dipoto looked waaay too rested.

Ha! I think you're on to something. 

He essentially looks like he gets as much sleep as most of us on here. Little to none!  

I like it. 

He’s personable and says the right things.  It appears that “baseball people” think he’s a great get.  What else can you really say ? I watched the whole 46 mins.  We’ve all heard this stuff before.  The Angels have a decent core of guys.  It’s not a rebuild situation and it’s as easy to imagine the team being good as it is to imagine them being mediocre again.  The FO has to press some right buttons.  It’s a tough thing.  Not a lot of luck with that in recent years. 

grow the development and talent acquisition systems, and staff it at levels that other winning organizations do.  Find meaningful and impact contributors at the major league level.  Let’s go fella’s

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

He’s personable and says the right things.  It appears that “baseball people” think he’s a great get.  What else can you really say ? I watched the whole 46 mins.  We’ve all heard this stuff before.  The Angels have a decent core of guys.  It’s not a rebuild situation and it’s as easy to imagine the team being good as it is to imagine them being mediocre again.  The FO has to press some right buttons.  It’s a tough thing.  Not a lot of luck with that in recent years. 

grow the development and talent acquisition systems, and staff it at levels that other winning organizations do.  Find meaningful and impact contributors at the major league level.  Let’s go fella’s

Yeah - I mean, a lot of guys tend to sound pretty good at their introductory press conferences and say all the key things.  More importantly to me (and us) though is his pedigree is pretty strong and he's spent the last few years working as second-in-command to a top 5 GM in this sport (IMO).  That guarantees nothing, of course, but we can only hope that experience guides him moving forward, and likewise, that Arte places a high degree of trust in him and helps provide him with things he may ask for (i.e. additional budget for scouting, analytics, etc).

18 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

We can't go into 2021 assuming we'll have the Ohtani of 2018, so moves will need to be made well before opening day. 

I believe we should go all in on Bauer honestly. 

He is every bit as good as Gerrit Cole, probably better. But I love his passion for the game and the way he plays! 

We need that attitude IMO on a team full of nice guys and duds. 

Totally agree Chuck.  We should be acting like Ohtani doesn't exist for pitching, get our rotation as best as it can be without him.  If Ohtani comes in and is the person we know he is then it's an added bonus and we can possibly have a pitcher to trade for another needed piece.

Minasian played a central role in bringing in Anibal Sanchez to Atlanta just ahead of his breakout. Clearly, Perry saw something there no one else saw.

And as a parting gift, it's highly likely he told AA to get Drew Smyly, which he did, for 11 million. 

So I have to figure that Minasians's pitching targets will be of this nature of it means preserving money. At first, this won't look any different than Eppler, who did the same thing with Harvey, Cahill, Bundy and Teheran. The difference here is that Minasians's pitching acquisitions will actually work. 

He obviously knew Teheran wasn't worth the money and thus, ATL didn't offer him a contract. 

Hopefully he brings some of that.

13 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Minasian played a central role in bringing in Anibal Sanchez to Atlanta just ahead of his breakout. Clearly, Perry saw something there no one else saw.

And as a parting gift, it's highly likely he told AA to get Drew Smyly, which he did, for 11 million. 

So I have to figure that Minasians's pitching targets will be of this nature of it means preserving money. At first, this won't look any different than Eppler, who did the same thing with Harvey, Cahill, Bundy and Teheran. The difference here is that Minasians's pitching acquisitions will actually work. 

He obviously knew Teheran wasn't worth the money and thus, ATL didn't offer him a contract. 

Hopefully he brings some of that.

Atlanta has had a pretty solid track record with free agency in recent years, especially guys on lesser and mid-tier deals. That’s really where we need to succeed, more-so than landing the Bauers and Realmutos of the world. And it’s also where Eppler really struggled. 

His involvement in the big Reyes/Buerhle trade with the Marlins and Jays years back also shows he’s at the very least been exposed to the processes behind pretty big, complicated deals as well. 

Ultimately, Eppler’s undoing was his inability to deal legit prospects when needed - which was completely understandable given his position - and his really awful success rate with stopgap vets and FAs. Virtually all of them flopped.

If Minasian can get us even back to 50/50 success with free agents then that, coupled with a savvy trade with a couple prospects he isn’t too attached to, probably gets us back into the thick of it.

8 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Atlanta has had a pretty solid track record with free agency in recent years, especially guys on lesser and mid-tier deals. That’s really where we need to succeed, more-so than landing the Bauers and Realmutos of the world. And it’s also where Eppler really struggled. 

His involvement in the big Reyes/Buerhle trade with the Marlins and Jays years back also shows he’s at the very least been exposed to the processes behind pretty big, complicated deals as well. 

Ultimately, Eppler’s undoing was his inability to deal legit prospects when needed - which was completely understandable given his position - and his really awful success rate with stopgap vets and FAs. Virtually all of them flopped.

If Minasian can get us even back to 50/50 success with free agents then that, coupled with a savvy trade with a couple prospects he isn’t too attached to, probably gets us back into the thick of it.

Yeah, and I'd say this is actually a good time for us to catapult back into the thick of things.  The Rangers and Mariners are rebuilding.  The Astros will likely continue to trend downwards, given injuries (Verlander) and key free agent defections (Springer) and, well, not cheating anymore.  The A's will always be crafty and have a pretty good team, but the opportunity is there for us.

Maddon has now spent one year with this team, and we saw this team do progressively better as he started to identify who he could trust, who he couldn't, etc.  Hopefully Minasian can infuse some talent in key areas (SP, relief, some versatile bats).  If he can find value on the market, which will definitely be there, I feel like we could surprise this year and be a strong contender.

7 hours ago, halonatic13 said:

Totally agree Chuck.  We should be acting like Ohtani doesn't exist for pitching, get our rotation as best as it can be without him.  If Ohtani comes in and is the person we know he is then it's an added bonus and we can possibly have a pitcher to trade for another needed piece.

100% agree and goes with what I've stated here for many years. Our organization has for a better word/statement for it has become "Complacent, with Hope of a Better Future" once certain Starting Pitchers on our ML Roster have gone out and the time for them to come back from their annual arm, lat, oblique injuries is winding down. Our Front Offices and our fan base included have always said well, this guy, that guy are coming back. It is all relevant, to work with what you have "Today" and what you "End up with" may either be another hole to fill or a strength to deal from in the future.  

I also, believe that is kind of what was meant in regards to the Ohtani response from Perry. We have to sit down and get all aspects of what we need to do to keep him on the field whether that is as a Starting Pitcher or a Hitter. In Ohtani's case that is health both as a everyday DH player or as a Starting Pitcher which are totally different positions and health, body mindsets.

I actually, hope they move as if he is "Unavailable" until he "Is available" and build a solid pitching staff where a Healthy Ohtani becomes icing on the cake.