• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Full interview with Angels GM Perry Minasian!

Docwaukee

Well, technically, given the 60-game season, our payroll last year was only 65mil, so.. yeah, I hope it isn't going down!  😛

But yeah, I will take this at face value and assume he meant not less than what it was projected to be (~185mil) to start last season.

Looking at payroll (not luxury tax), we are projected to be around 155mil, given the current contracts we have and projected arbitration figures.  If you assume we non-tender Robles (seems likely), that puts us at 151mil.  So, it seems we will have perhaps ~35mil or so of payroll to use.

Certainly, that can help us considerably.  I hope Minasian is creative.  We can use that money to either sign Bauer + some small moves, or instead use it to acquire a number of players at reduced costs (in Jan/Feb), and perhaps use trade capital instead to pursue SP, which is likely the one position that will continue to hold high value in an otherwise depressed market.

Minasian's interview impressed me.  It is only an interview, but that said, he placed a strong emphasis on communication, and I do get the impression that he is big on combining scouting and analytics together, which should help him jive with Maddon.

I'm excited to seeing who he picks as he builds out the front office over the upcoming weeks.  He's been on the job for 1 week, and has some decisions due very soon (rule 5 deadline on Friday).  I will remain cautiously optimistic right now and hope he guides us well.

As much as I would like Bauer, I feel like Minasian will be creative, and will instead attack areas of market weakness (most positions that aren't SP), and instead utilize trade assets to help secure good, but affordable, SP.

19 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Doesn't say a lot. But certainly implies he's willing to spend.

I wonder if this means he knows something regarding the 2021 season, with attendance etc...

You would think that the team has to factor in that Pujols' contract is coming to an end after next season.

6 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

You would think that the team has to factor in that Pujols' contract is coming to an end after next season.

they are but the relief from that for 2022 isn't as much as you think with raises to Rendon and Upton along with the potential of having to pay Bundy and/or Heaney more than they make now in order to keep us status quo.  That plus a bunch of arb raises.  

12 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

they are but the relief from that for 2022 isn't as much as you think with raises to Rendon and Upton along with the potential of having to pay Bundy and/or Heaney more than they make now in order to keep us status quo.  That plus a bunch of arb raises.  

True. Plus if Ohtani has a solid 2021 at the plate and on the mound, it may be wise to think about locking him up soon. 

In the article, it did state that with projected payroll at $174 MM and the luxury tax threshold expected to be at $210 MM, that does leave some wiggle room (if the luxury tax is the hard cap for Moreno). Also, with contracts coming off the books the next couple of years (Pujols, then Upton), there may be room for a big contract, especially if other salaries are moved. 

This is at least a good sign. And with many teams shedding salary, this might be an opportunity to pounce on some bargains. 

19 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

If Ohtani is producing like he did to start 2018, the need for pitching will be less urgent. 

We can't go into 2021 assuming we'll have the Ohtani of 2018, so moves will need to be made well before opening day. 

I believe we should go all in on Bauer honestly. 

He is every bit as good as Gerrit Cole, probably better. But I love his passion for the game and the way he plays! 

We need that attitude IMO on a team full of nice guys and duds. 

25 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I really like what Perry said about Donaldson. That they had Carmargo coming off a really good season at the 3B position both offensively and defensively but still went after Donaldson because he made them better. 

It shows that they will be, as Billy Eppler liked to say, "opportunistic."

I'm not sure that the Angels have a similar scenario to the Braves one with Donaldson this season, but going forward it's nice to know that he's just looking to get the best player out there.