• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joel Sherman: Angels new GM will need to find 6-8 new pitchers

16 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Has Barria, the guy with the second best ERA last year been waived?

No Barria imho is the guy who gets those 17-20 starts from the 5th starter spot and maybe more. If you trade him in a deal for a starter like Snell or Marquez I’d understand, but otherwise he and Canning will be competing for a spot if you sign two starters. 

If you sign or trade for an Ace at 33-34 starts, Heaney and Bundy say make 62 between them, you have 96 games accounted for. That leaves 68 for Ohtani, Canning, and Barria. (And Sandoval).

If you acquire two starters without trading Barria, you’d likely be looking at Canning going up and down from SLC and Barria going back and forth from the pen, or giving up on Ohtani as a starting pitcher. 

I’m all for trying to get depth at AAA that’s not Dillon Peters. But I don’t know if you send Canning to AAA because you signed two guys. If he’s hurt, or anyone gets hurt, then you have to fill in from AAA depth (Sandoval, Naughton, Suarez etc.) or bring Pena from the pen.

CRod and Detmers will be at AA or AAA this year. I would think you expect them to be ready in 21 or 22.

3 hours ago, Hubs said:

I’m all for trying to get depth at AAA that’s not Dillon Peters. But I don’t know if you send Canning to AAA because you signed two guys. If he’s hurt, or anyone gets hurt, then you have to fill in from AAA depth (Sandoval, Naughton, Suarez etc.) or bring Pena from the pen.

CRod and Detmers will be at AA or AAA this year. I would think you expect them to be ready in 21 or 22.

Pena looked great from the pen.  He was mediocre at best as a starter.  Keep him in the pen.

5 hours ago, Hubs said:

No Barria imho is the guy who gets those 17-20 starts from the 5th starter spot and maybe more. If you trade him in a deal for a starter like Snell or Marquez I’d understand, but otherwise he and Canning will be competing for a spot if you sign two starters. 

If you sign or trade for an Ace at 33-34 starts, Heaney and Bundy say make 62 between them, you have 96 games accounted for. That leaves 68 for Ohtani, Canning, and Barria. (And Sandoval).

If you acquire two starters without trading Barria, you’d likely be looking at Canning going up and down from SLC and Barria going back and forth from the pen, or giving up on Ohtani as a starting pitcher. 

This is assuming we keep our current pitchers if we sign and trade for 2 new starters.... One of Heaney/Sandoval/Barria/Canning would be part of a trade package.

2 hours ago, stormngt said:

Pena looked great from the pen.  He was mediocre at best as a starter.  Keep him in the pen.

His 2019 ERA as a starter (even though they used an opener) he would’ve been the second best starter on the team in 2020.

He can do either. I prefer him In the pen, too but for a spot start, it’s not a bad thing to have him.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I dont think we can expect 150-200 innings from any of these guys. There will be plenty of innings for 7 guys.

I doubt any of the veterans will be happy coming out of the pen if they’ve been starters their whole career, and I don’t think Barria looks good out of the pen. And Canning? 

I get getting two guys if they trade one fo their current young guys but really they should just add one and one in 2022.

Bundy/Canning/Heaney are locks for the Rotation. Ohtani gets one more shot and they add a guy. Then Barria is your sixth starter, or they go to a five man rotation without Ohtani. 

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

I doubt any of the veterans will be happy coming out of the pen if they’ve been starters their whole career, and I don’t think Barria looks good out of the pen. And Canning? 

I get getting two guys if they trade one fo their current young guys but really they should just add one and one in 2022.

Bundy/Canning/Heaney are locks for the Rotation. Ohtani gets one more shot and they add a guy. Then Barria is your sixth starter, or they go to a five man rotation without Ohtani. 

I think it depends on what opportunities present themselves.  If Perry really likes someone who's been made available in trade and has multiple years of control, then he may also be able to solve the loss of Heaney or Bundy for 2022.  

Plus, none of really know what to expect from Ohtani at this point.  

They could easily piece together a fifth starter spot out of Barria, Sandoval and maybe someone else.  Barria is the type of pitcher where I don't know if I will ever believe in him being a rotation fixture.  It's probably not fair considering that he's performed well more than he hasn't and he's still only 24.  Maybe it's the lack of pure stuff.  Not sure.  

I also wonder about his trade value.  I would assume most here don't think it's much.  

On 10/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, totdprods said:

We probably need a durable #3-#5, to offer insurance against the rookies Barria and Canning.

Canning used up his rookie status in 2019 starting 17 games. 

Barria used up his in 2019 starting 26 games. 

I can't see Barria being the centerpiece to any significant trade. Maybe for a reliever with a few years of control. That's about it. He could certainly be a part of a trade for someone like, say, Gray. But he'd be more of a throw in, assuming Cincy would want him.

I think between Barria and Sandoval the back of our rotation is pretty solid, at least for now. If Ohtani can somehow give us 100 innings (not expecting anything close to that) then we're in really good shape, unlike me. 

*FA or trade*, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria/Sandoval/Ohtani. Personally I hope we can get 2 starters so we're pushing Canning to the number 5 spot and Ohtani becomes the 6th man, along with Barria and Sandoval. That would give us pretty good depth for the inevitable injuries that occur throughout the year.

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I can't see Barria being the centerpiece to any significant trade. Maybe for a reliever with a few years of control. That's about it. He could certainly be a part of a trade for someone like, say, Gray. But he'd be more of a throw in, assuming Cincy would want him.

I think between Barria and Sandoval the back of our rotation is pretty solid, at least for now. If Ohtani can somehow give us 100 innings (not expecting anything close to that) then we're in really good shape, unlike me. 

*FA or trade*, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria/Sandoval/Ohtani. Personally I hope we can get 2 starters so we're pushing Canning to the number 5 spot and Ohtani becomes the 6th man, along with Barria and Sandoval. That would give us pretty good depth for the inevitable injuries that occur throughout the year.

I don’t think anyone thinks Barria or Sandoval would be a centerpiece, but in a deal for someone like Musgrove or Marquez or Gray they’d certainly be on the radar of the other team as a possible low-cost option to fill a not open spot in the rotation.

Barria especially could be involved since he’s out of options, and I’m not 100% sure he fits coming out of the pen, unless he replaces Noe’s role. If we’ve signed another arm, he may be displaced by a trade. 

2 hours ago, BritAngel said:

Certainly need one starting pitcher fingers crossed a 1 or 2 either FA or trade. I would then like to see Garrett Richards back as he could flip from rotation to relief  depending on how things pan out giving more flexibility and wouldn't cost the earth.

They just need to sign Bauer and trade for Musgrove. Sign Yates and Hand/Hendriks. I am leaning towards Hand just to have a solid lefty in the pen. 

I would stay away from Richards. Last thing we need is an injury prone starter.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Lou said:

There is no way Soto is better than Trout. 

Purely from a standpoint that Soto is going into age 22 and Trout will soon be in his thirties. 

Not now, but in a couple of seasons it could be true.

Juan had a monster year last year but I won’t buy it due to shortened season and only facing the east. He’ll need to replicate something close to that for a year or two to have a case.

Consistency has been what really sets Trout apart.

Edited by totdprods