• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joel Sherman: Angels new GM will need to find 6-8 new pitchers

Maybe we shouldn’t be bashing Sherman in a thread where he had an unpopular opinion that wound up being accurate a couple months later...

Sherman: “Angels need 6 to 8 pitchers”

AW: “This sounds extreme does he even follow the Angels?”

*Angels add 6 pitchers to MLB ready depth*

AW: “We still need a couple more pitchers!”

Edited by totdprods

• 1 month later...
On 10/22/2020 at 3:32 PM, totdprods said:

Here’s how I would be drawing up the staff as of now:

1. Bundy
  2. Heaney
  3. FA/Trade
  4. FA/Trade
  5. Canning
  6. Barria/Ohtani
  7. Pena
  8. Sandoval
  9. Mayers
  10. Buttrey
  11. FA/Trade
  12. FA/Trade
  13. FA/Trade

AAA: Suarez, Yan

Added to 40: Naughton, C. Rodriguez, Brady, Soriano

Non-tendered/traded/outrighted: Robles, Bedrosian, Anderson, Peters, Milner, Quijada, Keller, Bard, and Reyes

On the fence about Barnes, Andriese, Noe, and even Middleton. I’d probably keep one or two, but hard to guess without knowing the next GM or who may be on the table in trades. 

If it were me, I’d be a little more ruthless when it comes to non-tenders this year. All of the names in the last two groups total well over $16m in salary, even the minor guys. There’s your money for two or three vet relievers right there. The depth takes a blow, but if your starting pitching investments pay off and they’re durable, you *should* be able to ease the strain of the bullpen depth. I would also start using Sandoval and perhaps even Rodriguez and Yan out of the pen almost immediately given their multi-inning capability Barria a bit too. Add a couple minimum pay waiver claims, guys who have options, to replace guys who don’t (and are starting to get paydays) like Noe ($1m+), Kenyan ($1m), Andriese ($2m) and you have a staff that’s in good shape, comes with fresh blood, more roster versatility, and better flexibility with options. It would represent 6-8 new pitchers fairly easily. 

FWIW, I still think the Angels trade for one legitimate SP, and it costs them at least one or two of Barria, Sandoval, Suarez, Yan, Buttrey, Rodriguez, Soriano, or Middleton, perhaps even Canning. That would really alter what I listed out above.

This post is looking purty good right about now.