• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Spring Training impressions

Chuck

On 2/18/2020 at 1:47 PM, Dochalo said:

I kinda get what you are trying to say, but the same volume of muscle actually weighs more than the same volume of fat.  

I think Barría looks a lot better. He’s one of the 2-3 guys that looks noticeably different without even having to ask. 

On 2/18/2020 at 9:41 AM, Halofan26 said:

I’d like to add, Jack Kruger, a 24 year old catcher and former 20th round pick looks fantastic in camp! He has some major pop and forearms that make Steve Garvey a little salty. While he didn’t follow his 2018 season with a similar 2019, he could be a catching dark horse for us.

A catcher who can actually hit?!  And with power?!!

How many decades has it been since we had someone like that? 

• 2 weeks later...

A few impressions/rambling thoughts I've had so far...

• Matt Thaiss has more power than his numbers have shown. 
  • Barria, Suarez, and Sandoval look like MLB-ready pitchers more this year than they did in the actual majors. 
  • Noe Ramirez is our most under-rated reliever.
  • I think Jeremy Reed discovered something in his work fixing Kole Calhoun that he was able to apply to other left-handed hitters like Tommy La Stella, and we may see a similar unexpected slugging boost from Jason Castro and Anthony Bemboom.
  • Jahmai Jones looks much more comfortable at second base and in the box. 
  • Anthony Rendon is going to be a massive addition to this team and the line-up. 
  • I like Jo Adell, but I love Brandon Marsh.
  • I'm buying into the Dylan Bundy hype and think he's got Corey Kluber 2.0 potential. There. Said it.
  • Julio Teheran might be good, might be bad, but he's going to drive us crazy either way.
  • I'm not ready to give up on Taylor Ward or Michael Hermosillo.
  • Luis Rengifo is going to be a really fun player to watch, either here or whatever team acquires him in a deal for pitching.
  • Arismendy Alcantara really wants to make the team.
  • At least two of Jose Quijada, Mike Mayers, Ryan Buchter and Jacob Barnes will continue to make the case that Eppler knows how to build a pen cheaply by being effective relievers this year. 
  • I'm expecting a really big year from Keynan Middleton.
  • I'm really rooting for Jared Walsh still - I'd like to see him actually find a way to pull off a two-way-lite career.
Edited by totdprods

25 minutes ago, Gene Aurty Moreno said:

Teheran looked like shit today. Sandoval is not too far off either. 

Teheran looks like he is going to pretty volatile. A few dominant games, several effective games, several subpar games, a couple stinkers. Still, as long as he's healthy and good for 30+ GS/160+ IP of even 4.50 ball, I'll be happy. He's just going to be frustrating to watch. Wild stuff, animated on the mound, nibbling, prone to meltdowns. The type of pitcher message board's bitch about constantly even if the end result really isn't all that bad.

Personally, I still think Sandoval is better suited for the pen, but no doubt they need to try him in the rotation first and for as long as they can. He might grow out of it, but still looks like he's a little too wild and excitable to maintain the mechanics and rhythm to stick as a starter. If he's really hitting 97 and living around 94 like the broadcast said today, then an eventual move to the pen - once the rotation stabilizes - might be a no-brainer.

I really like what I've seen from Suarez and Barria this spring. Not trying to do too much and proving effective (albeit in spring games) so far.

12 hours ago, totdprods said:

Teheran looks like he is going to pretty volatile. A few dominant games, several effective games, several subpar games, a couple stinkers. Still, as long as he's healthy and good for 30+ GS/160+ IP of even 4.50 ball, I'll be happy. He's just going to be frustrating to watch. Wild stuff, animated on the mound, nibbling, prone to meltdowns. The type of pitcher message board's bitch about constantly even if the end result really isn't all that bad.

Personally, I still think Sandoval is better suited for the pen, but no doubt they need to try him in the rotation first and for as long as they can. He might grow out of it, but still looks like he's a little too wild and excitable to maintain the mechanics and rhythm to stick as a starter. If he's really hitting 97 and living around 94 like the broadcast said today, then an eventual move to the pen - once the rotation stabilizes - might be a no-brainer.

I really like what I've seen from Suarez and Barria this spring. Not trying to do too much and proving effective (albeit in spring games) so far.

Definitely agree on Teheran. He's going to be a brown Wilson but at the end of the year I expect his numbers to be there (170 innings, 3.80-4.20 ERA). 

Definitely disagree on Sandoval. I think he has the best upside of any starting pitcher in our entire system outside of Canning and Chris Rodriguez. IMO he's going to give us 120-130 innings with an ERA around 4.00, solidifying a spot in the rotation. Of course I could be wrong and he sucks but as you said he's going to get a chance at the rotation at least through 2022.