• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels Spring Training impressions

Chuck

2 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Definitely agree on Teheran. He's going to be a brown Wilson but at the end of the year I expect his numbers to be there (170 innings, 3.80-4.20 ERA). 

Definitely disagree on Sandoval. I think he has the best upside of any starting pitcher in our entire system outside of Canning and Chris Rodriguez. IMO he's going to give us 120-130 innings with an ERA around 4.00, solidifying a spot in the rotation. Of course I could be wrong and he sucks but as you said he's going to get a chance at the rotation at least through 2022.

Definitely not going to look up a brown wilson on urban dictionary.  Some things you just can't unsee.

3 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Definitely agree on Teheran. He's going to be a brown Wilson but at the end of the year I expect his numbers to be there (170 innings, 3.80-4.20 ERA). 

Definitely disagree on Sandoval. I think he has the best upside of any starting pitcher in our entire system outside of Canning and Chris Rodriguez. IMO he's going to give us 120-130 innings with an ERA around 4.00, solidifying a spot in the rotation. Of course I could be wrong and he sucks but as you said he's going to get a chance at the rotation at least through 2022.

Sandoval has the upside no doubt - like I said, they absolutely need to try and make him stick in the rotation - but so far I’m not sure he has the ability to stick. I’ve seen the Hector Santiago comp thrown around and I agree with it. Dude could be dominant at times but just didn’t quite have what it takes to string together full seasons of effectiveness in the rotation. I fully expect the Angels to keep him on the path of being a starter for now, but have a feeling long-term he winds up in the pen. I hope he proves me wrong. 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Sandoval has the upside no doubt - like I said, they absolutely need to try and make him stick in the rotation - but so far I’m not sure he has the ability to stick. I’ve seen the Hector Santiago comp thrown around and I agree with it. Dude could be dominant at times but just didn’t quite have what it takes to string together full seasons of effectiveness in the rotation. I fully expect the Angels to keep him on the path of being a starter for now, but have a feeling long-term he winds up in the pen. I hope he proves me wrong. 

I'm not sure I like that comp, but if he pitches like Santiago did in Chicago and here, that's actually not bad. Like a solid 3/4 guy. Hector has been absolutely horrid since he left the Angels though. He might be done.

I'm gonna throw out a comp to post Phillies Cole Hamels. More walks, fewer innings, but overall a very good number 3 guy. 

Evidently Teheran gave up a 2-run homerun in the 1st, which is in line with what a lot of Braves fans were saying about him on Reddit; he's very inconsistent in the 1st and 2nd innings, but if he makes it past that point unscathed he's going 7 solid innings.

I'm far too lazy to check if the stats back that up. They probably don't.

39 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Evidently Teheran gave up a 2-run homerun in the 1st, which is in line with what a lot of Braves fans were saying about him on Reddit; he's very inconsistent in the 1st and 2nd innings, but if he makes it past that point unscathed he's going 7 solid innings.

I'm far too lazy to check if the stats back that up. They probably don't.

We should have someone like Noe Ramirez pitch Teheran's first two innings for him!

That'd solve it right?

Amirite?!?!?

I am a genious!

#IAmBadAtMath

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm not sure I like that comp, but if he pitches like Santiago did in Chicago and here, that's actually not bad. Like a solid 3/4 guy. Hector has been absolutely horrid since he left the Angels though. He might be done.

I'm gonna throw out a comp to post Phillies Cole Hamels. More walks, fewer innings, but overall a very good number 3 guy. 

Post-Phillies Hamels still had some veteran moxie and durable workhorse attributed to him - the parallel's I'm drawing up for Sandoval are less related to stuff or production, and more to how he fits on a staff, hence the Santiago comp. 

Hector never really seemed to settle into a SP role - he had solid numbers in Chicago and Anaheim even, but you still got the sense most of the time that this guy was a reliever/long-reliever who had the ability to stretch out for 5-6 innings but going beyond that, even on a good night, was unlikely. He was anxious and prone to wildness, nibbling, or meltdowns, and I see a little too much of that in Sandoval still. 

And just because that wasn't ideal five years ago doesn't mean it won't be ideal the next five years. It wouldn't surprise me if the Angels or baseball as a whole trends towards piggybacking starters as we saw the Angels do last year in the minors. Run Sandoval out there for 3-5 innings, then someone like Pena or Andriese for 2-3 innings, then count on a true reliever like Robles or Bedrosian for whatever is left in typical one-inning stints.

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Post-Phillies Hamels still had some veteran moxie and durable workhorse attributed to him - the parallel's I'm drawing up for Sandoval are less related to stuff or production, and more to how he fits on a staff, hence the Santiago comp. 

Hector never really seemed to settle into a SP role - he had solid numbers in Chicago and Anaheim even, but you still got the sense most of the time that this guy was a reliever/long-reliever who had the ability to stretch out for 5-6 innings but going beyond that, even on a good night, was unlikely. He was anxious and prone to wildness, nibbling, or meltdowns, and I see a little too much of that in Sandoval still. 

And just because that wasn't ideal five years ago doesn't mean it won't be ideal the next five years. It wouldn't surprise me if the Angels or baseball as a whole trends towards piggybacking starters as we saw the Angels do last year in the minors. Run Sandoval out there for 3-5 innings, then someone like Pena or Andriese for 2-3 innings, then count on a true reliever like Robles or Bedrosian for whatever is left in typical one-inning stints.

I think we're just gonna have to agree to disagree on Sandoval.

You jerk.