• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte: "We need to win" for Eppler to get a new deal

mmc

Maybe it should just be ok for people to have differing opinions about Arte?      If an opinion upsets you, especially if you need to personally attack others, then maybe you aren't as secure in your opinions as you pretend to be?

I think he's completely responsible for the teams playoff win drought and decimated farm system.....but he seemed to be letting Eppler fix things over the last three years, which I have been thrilled about.    It seemed like 10 years of futility was coming to and end.  However, this latest stuff makes me feel like he just can't or won't change his ways.    If you disagree with that.....fine!    It's still my opinion.   

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

How is Arte response for the decimated farm system?

He's owned the team since 2003.    He hires and fires the GM's.  He controls the purse strings .    He forces high PR signings on his GM's.  He's the one constant factor.  How could you NOT hold him responsible?    If it were any other business, how could you NOT hold the owner responsible for a long decline?

6 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

It's funny to me that the same people who want to hold Eppler's feet to the fire for not winning in his three years with the team  (without any consideration of where the team was when he started)....will give Arte (who's owned the team since 2003) a complete pass for 10 years of futility and a decimated farm system.

I don't give him "complete pass" but I am going to place the majority of the blame on Tony Reagins and Jerry Dipoto for fucking up draft after draft and trading away what little talent we had for a handful of magic beans leaving Eppler with a bloated payroll and a 30th ranked farm system by 2016.  Moreno is "responsible" by default since he signs the checks and makes hires likely based on advise from people close to him but sometimes people just have to do their jobs well. 

23 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

It's funny to me that the same people who want to hold Eppler's feet to the fire for not winning in his three years with the team  (without any consideration of where the team was when he started)....will give Arte (who's owned the team since 2003) a complete pass for 10 years of futility and a decimated farm system.

Who's giving him a free pass?

Anyway,  I'm truly excited about the team's overall direction and I can't wait to see how we do in 2020.....the offense should be great, Adell is probably coming up, and some of the rotation void has been filled.    I'd just like to see Arte not do things like nix Angels-friendly deals that could have helped us in one of our areas of greatest weakness.   Maybe this was just a brief relapse?   Maybe he'll go out of his way to make up for it?    We'll see!

43 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

He's owned the team since 2003.    He hires and fires the GM's.  He controls the purse strings .    He forces high PR signings on his GM's.  He's the one constant factor.  How could you NOT hold him responsible?    If it were any other business, how could you NOT hold the owner responsible for a long decline?

do you hold him accountable for 2004-2006?

42 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

maybe if Eppler won the conference 4 straight years before the ten years people will give him more slack!

I don’t think anyone is giving Arte a pass. I think he himself has even said he shoulders some of the blame. But he owns the team, and he’s not going to fire himself and/or all the players if it doesn’t work out. Fairly or not, the GM and the manager get the hot seat since blame must be placed

For the record, I like him as a team owner for a lot of reasons. He’s made some missteps to be sure, but he’s done far more things right IMO.

1 hour ago, Bronson said:

All the Arte haters on here are gonna eat their words when he’s gone and we get some incompetent owner like 90% of teams have nowadays. 

You don’t know what you have till it’s gone. Watch your words closely.

I never said I hate Arte....that's your word.       But, I'm not overly worried that he's irreplaceable as an owner.    I think we could do better.

19 minutes ago, stormngt said:

2003 to 2009. Who was our owner?

Who won the world series in 2002?  Who was their GM?  Who owned the team?   How many of those players were still on the team in 2003-2009?     

Honestly, at least Arte was humble enough to stay out of Stoneman's way and not f/u a team that just won a ring.    So, I'll give him credit there.   But Arte didn't oversee the building of that team.   And once Stoneman left....Arte hired Reagins....then Dipoto.....then he decided he was a great GM and forced the Pujols/Wilson/Hamilton signings....then he wouldn't spend to repair the damage....then the team started being the Clippers of the MLB.   Sorry, IMHO, that's on Arte.

If you wan't to give Arte credit for a team that was put together before he purchased the Angels....fine.   If you wan't to give him credit for letting Stoneman keep doing his thing....fine  (I agree with that).    But then,  IMHO, you gotta hold Arte accountable for last 10 years of futility and a decimated farm.....because that all on him.