• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte: "We need to win" for Eppler to get a new deal

mmc

9 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

Who won the world series in 2002?  Who was their GM?   How many of those players were still on the team in 2003-2009?     

Honestly, at least Arte was humble enough to stay out of Stoneman's way and not f/u a team that just won a ring.    So, I'll give him credit there.   But Arte didn't oversee the building of that team.   And once Stoneman left....Arte hired Reagins....then Dipoto.....then he decided he was a great GM and forced the Pujols/Wilson/Hamilton signings....then he wouldn't spend to repair the damage....then the team started being the Clippers of the MLB.   Sorry, IMHO, that's on Arte.

If you wan't to give Arte credit for a team that was put together before he purchased the Angels....fine.   If you wan't to give him credit for letting Stoneman keep doing his thing....fine  (I agree with that).    But then,  IMHO, you gotta hold Arte for last 10 years of futility.....because that all on him.

The reason the Angels won the World Series has very little to do with Stoneman.   He traded Edmonds for Bottenfield and Kennedy.  He traded Mo for Appier.  He picked up Eckstein.  All other talent was from Bavasi.  

7 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

Maybe accountable is the wrong word.  I guess people could vote with their dollars.   But, what I meant is that he is responsible.

Ultimately, every owner is responsible for their teams. This isn't breaking news.

I think the word you're looking for is "blame." You blame him for the team's shortcomings.

Ok. Fine. You're entitled.

Many disagree.

Neither side is likely to change their mind.

What else you got?

Just now, True Grich said:

Ultimately, every owner is responsible for their teams. This isn't breaking news.

I think the word you're looking for is "blame." You blame him for the team's shortcomings.

Many disagree.

What else you got?

I'm still waiting for his home-grown lineup

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He traded Edmonds for Bottenfield and Kennedy.  He traded Mo for Appier.  He picked up Eckstein.  All other talent was from Bavasi.  

Yeah, I just looked it up and your right.   Bavasi did draft the bulk of the 2002 roster.     Stoneman did draft Jeff Mathis though...he can always be proud of that.

9 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Many disagree.

What else you got?

Ok, I blame him.   The last ten years have sucked.    

6 hours ago, RBM said:

Apparently reading comprehension is not a strength.

6 hours ago, ukyah said:

whoa, well fuck you too.

5 hours ago, RBM said:

Wow. Alright. 

i don't think you get to be the one who's surprised. you took a personal shot on my ability to comprehend words on the page. what we were discussing in it's simplest form was whether or not arte's comments were an attack on eppler's job security. 

5 hours ago, RBM said:

Yeah, I respect your thoughts here. You speak your mind on baseball topics. Intelligently.

I have no opinion on your additional good qualities because we don’t know each other.

Relating to this topic, Arte did not say Eppler will be fired if he loses. It didn’t happen. There was no quid pro quo. I’ve posted his actual comments twice. Arte deflected a pointed question using self deprecating humor. This is the reality. 

as to the topic, arte did not say directly that eppler would be fired. he intimated, quite clearly, that his job was on the line. when the owner of the company, who hasn't extended your contract, is asked a question about your performance and he responds with, "we need to do better. we need blah blah... i should fire myself." that is as direct a shot across your bow as you are likely to get. guess who isn't getting fired? joe maddon. guess who can't get fired? arte moreno. if there's a chopping block, then there's only one head that's a candidate. whether or not that's deserved is debatable, but what i don't like is that comment a week after meddling in the performance of eppler's duties. this is my sole point.

Reading RBM's comment "there was no quid pro quo"....makes me wonder if all the upset over criticizing Arte doesn't stir up feelings and battle lines people are already having over politics these days.    We are on the same side folks....even if we disagree about Arte....and having differing opinions, IMHO, are kind of what a baseball discussion site is all about.   Besides, I'm right.   

46 minutes ago, Lou said:

I'm still waiting for his home-grown lineup

Did anyone say that the only way for the 2020 Angels to build a team is through home-grown talent?   No.   In fact, our farm system was recently one of the worst in baseball so we're probably going to have to rely on FA more than most teams.   You just saw what you wanted to see there.    What I did say is that the 2002 Champs were mostly built on home grown talent....if you want to argue that, go ahead.     Or, if I don't use the exact wording you prefer, please let me know....because that's really important.

1 hour ago, Rally Gorilla said:

Who won the world series in 2002?  Who was their GM?  Who owned the team?   How many of those players were still on the team in 2003-2009?     

Honestly, at least Arte was humble enough to stay out of Stoneman's way and not f/u a team that just won a ring.    So, I'll give him credit there.   But Arte didn't oversee the building of that team.   And once Stoneman left....Arte hired Reagins....then Dipoto.....then he decided he was a great GM and forced the Pujols/Wilson/Hamilton signings....then he wouldn't spend to repair the damage....then the team started being the Clippers of the MLB.   Sorry, IMHO, that's on Arte.

If you wan't to give Arte credit for a team that was put together before he purchased the Angels....fine.   If you wan't to give him credit for letting Stoneman keep doing his thing....fine  (I agree with that).    But then,  IMHO, you gotta hold Arte accountable for last 10 years of futility and a decimated farm.....because that all on him.

Answer my question.  Who was the owner of the team when we won the division 5 of 6 years?

I am sure you are among those who blamed Bush for the poor economy during the Obama years and praise obama for the economy in Trump years.

Just now, stormngt said:

Answer my question.  Who was the owner of the team when we won the division 5 of 6 years?

I am sure you are among those who blamed Bush for the poor economy during the Obama years and praise obama for the economy in Trump years.

Answer mine first. And, yep....theory confirmed that some people can't separate politics from baseball.