• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Arte: "We need to win" for Eppler to get a new deal

mmc

1 minute ago, GregAlso said:

After Arte controlled the offseason and mixed one of his trades by pulling rank. “Win, but do it only with the players I allow you to have.” This feels hollow to me. 

Thats what I was thinking.

You need to win, but I'm making it harder for you.

I'm beyond pissed at Arte for nixing the trade, but Eppler also only has himself to blame for waiting until our crosstown rival who is miles better than us acquires the second best player in baseball and is willing to trade their odd man out pitcher at a discounted price to get a good starter with some control.

IMHO, Eppler has done a great job while being handicapped by Arte's past poor contract decisions and strange penny pinching rules.   Arte will spend huge money on high PR moves like Pujols, Trout and Rendon....then go into rigid self-imposed budget lockdown for lesser deals...forcing his GM to dumpster dive.    If Eppler gets fired, good luck finding a top rate GM who will want to take his place. 

24 minutes ago, GregAlso said:

After Arte controlled the offseason and nixed one of his trades by pulling rank. “Win, but do it only with the players I allow you to have.” This feels hollow to me. 

Arte nixing the Stripling trade was unbelievably stupid. If we miss the playoffs it’ll be his fault. Eppler will be well rid of that jackass. 

16 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Trout's extension and Rendon's signing don't happen without Moreno's "meddling."

It goes both ways.

Uh, no. He approves the money. That isn’t what we’re complaining about. What he absolutely shouldn’t be doing is overruling Eppler on baseball decisions. 

Arte pulling the Stripling deal because he’s a ‘4-5 type’ not a frontline pitcher shows Arte has zero business making those decisions. How many times does it have to backfire on him before he stays the hell in his own effing lane?

How about we just stay healthy this season and then it should all take care of itself. The pieces are there to have a winning season. They just need to be there for the season in order to make sure it happens. At least we have more depth so that we can absorb an injury than in years past. 

We're in the second biggest U.S. media market with a top five valued MLB TV contract.  It's not like Arte is the only potential owner of the franchise that would spend dough.

His inability to step aside and let his underlings do their job is probably one of his biggest downsides, and it shows with the direction the team has gone in the past decade.

3 minutes ago, Reveille1984 said:

We're in the second biggest U.S. media market with a top five valued MLB TV contract.  It's not like Arte is the only potential owner of the franchise that would spend dough.

His inability to step aside and let his underlings do their job is probably one of his biggest downsides, and it shows with the direction the team has gone in the past decade.

He’s probably the only one that can do it without debt.  The next dude would be paying market value of over $2 billion.  

19 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Arte nixing the Stripling trade was unbelievably stupid. If we miss the playoffs it’ll be his fault. Eppler will be well rid of that jackass. 

Uh, no. He approves the money. That isn’t what we’re complaining about. What he absolutely shouldn’t be doing is overruling Eppler on baseball decisions. 

Arte pulling the Stripling deal because he’s a ‘4-5 type’ not a frontline pitcher shows Arte has zero business making those decisions. How many times does it have to backfire on him before he stays the hell in his own effing lane?

Do we know for sure Arte nixed the deal?   I haven't been following it that closely, but I thought that the Dodgers never wanted to give up Pederson and Stripling so they nixed the deal once they found a way to keep them without exceeding salary limits. 

39 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Trout's extension and Rendon's signing don't happen without Moreno's "meddling."

It goes both ways.

It seems Trout really liked Eppler’s plan and the rapport with Eppler is at least partially responsible for Trout wanting to stay. 

edit: also I don’t want Arte to stop writing checks just stop meddling in the decisions. Rendon is a challenge, but Rendon also gets us Hamilton, and Pujols, and Wells. Tough trade off. 

45 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

I'm beyond pissed at Arte for nixing the trade, but Eppler also only has himself to blame for waiting until our crosstown rival who is miles better than us acquires the second best player in baseball and is willing to trade their odd man out pitcher at a discounted price to get a good starter with some control.

Care to list all the good starters with team control that were traded this offseason?     Kluber has a couple years, who else?

4 minutes ago, Rally Gorilla said:

Do we know for sure Arte nixed the deal?   I haven't been following it that closely, but I thought that the Dodgers never wanted to give up Pederson and Stripling so they nixed the deal once they found a way to keep them without exceeding salary limits. 

He said today he did. He also said he didn’t want a 4-5 type (which Stripling isn’t) - only a frontline pitcher. 

46 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

What was the published, confirmed trade? I'd like to know that before declaring I am upset or pissed at anything.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Care to list all the good starters with team control that were traded this offseason?

Kenta Maeda, David Price, and Corey Kluber, though I really don't see why it matters if other teams trade for starters or not.