• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Alex Wood signs with the Dodgers (1 year, $4 million)

mmc

2 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Eppler, who for 4 seasons has seen his pitching rotations ravaged by injuries, didn't want to sign an injury-prone Wood who was only healthy enough to make 7 shitty starts last season?  Weird...

Didn't want to sign him for 4 million!  Your logic is flawed.  Signing Wood would have improved our depth for 4 million!

6 minutes ago, Lou said:

Animated GIF

"You remember that thing we had about 30 days ago called the winter meetings? And how we failed to achieve victory? How come we didn't cross the Luxury Tax Threshold and push the budget to the maxz? [rips a desk apart] Then take every viable option on the market [shouts] signing by signing and nuke the payroll into the stone age forever?! Tell me why! How come? Say it! Say it!

18 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

If can be signed for $4 mil with incentives with his track record for success just a couple of years ago while other teams are desperate for pitching, what does that tell you about the confidence in Wood's ability to make through a season healthy?  

I wouldn't minded signing Wood at all for $5-$9 million for one season to take a shot but it's clear, with Ohtani, Heaney, and Canning all with recent injury issues, he prioritizing predictability and stability in the rotation versus potential upside on an injury-plague player.

then I'm very curious who that predictable and stable guy is going to be that you're talking about.  Nova, McHugh, Chacin, Vargas?  

personally would rather have someone with more upside.  

43 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Are you saying we would have been able to sign Cole, Bumbgardner, Ryu, Wood, or Kuechel had we not had Albert on the books?

GTFO Cole is the only one we arguably couldn't afford.  Come back to reality!

Yes if an extra $29M was available this offseason I’m confident that Eppler would’ve certainly used it to help solidify the starting pitching. No one can deny that Pujols’ contract has negatively impacted possible acquisitions and has also reduced the flexibility on what we can or can’t do on the field. He’s definitely going to be in the lineup. 

4 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Yes if an extra $29M was available this offseason I’m confident that Eppler would’ve certainly used it to help solidify the starting pitching. No one can deny that Pujols’ contract has negatively impacted possible acquisitions and has also reduced the flexibility on what we can or can’t do on the field. He’s definitely going to be in the lineup. 

Wasnt the Pujols deal house money from the TV deal anyway?

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

then I'm very curious who that predictable and stable guy is going to be that you're talking about.  Nova, McHugh, Chacin, Vargas?  

personally would rather have someone with more upside.  

Likelier he's pursuing a trade over the flotsam that's left on the market but he could also still grab one of these guys as depth.  That said, yeah, he could have totally dropped the ball on Wood...time will tell.

12 hours ago, Tank said:

We better go to the playoffs, anything less is a fail. He missed on every front of the rotation pitcher in one of richest class of FA pitchers in years. The whole point was to sign a top pitcher and he failed. he has about month left to trade for one or this is a failed off season.

11 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I'm not pissed, I'm disappointed/disillusioned that if we don't make the playoffs it's because we didn't sign better pitchers, whether they're an Ace or not.  It's not that difficult for a reasonable  person to understand. I'm confused why you are confused.

how can we go to the playoffs if he hasn't signed top of the line pitching? that's what i'm getting from your post. i'm trying to be reasonable but i see conflicting things in your statement.

do you think we're a playoff team as currently constructed?

13 minutes ago, RendZone said:

lol absolutely. We now have the privilege of seeing Rotolo Chevrolet and Fountain Valley Body Shop commercials as often as we want.  

I like to call Dave’s cell (the guy from Fountain Valley Body Works) and just ask him random questions and ask him how his day is going.  I mean he does provide his cell number on his commercials, and does say he wants to know about stuff.

i like to get his take on Eppler, Pujols, the lack of signing FA pitching, and the like.  I think he’s getting tired of the daily calls though.

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

I like to call Dave’s cell (the guy from Fountain Valley Body Works) and just ask him random questions and ask him how his day is going.  I mean he does provide his cell number on his commercials, and does say he wants to know about stuff.

i like to get his take on Eppler, Pujols, the lack of signing FA pitching, and the like.  I think he’s getting tired of the daily calls though.

Arte should provide his cell phone number to all Angelswin posters. “If you’re not happy with the team’s performance, I want to hear about it”

6 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

Eppler, who for 4 seasons has seen his pitching rotations ravaged by injuries, didn't want to sign an injury-prone Wood who was only healthy enough to make 7 shitty starts last season?  Weird...

5 hours ago, mulwin444 said:

All these "project" signings are what Eppler did before what had no internal options, was building his barren farm, dealt with a ridiculous amount of elbow injuries and did not have the financial flexibility to make an impact signing.

So we got Tim Lincecum and Alex Meyer and Jesse Chavez and Parker Bridwell and Trevor Cahill and Matt Harvey and converted guys like J.C Ramirez and Felix Pena to starting to fill in the gaps and they gave us the mixed results that you'd expect and people bitched about the fact that we take on these projects to begin with.  So, Eppler signs/trades for two pitchers with a recent history of health and durability who happen to be under the age of 30 to support talented but recovering pitchers like Ohtani and Heaney and talented but young starters like Canning, Sandoval, and Suarez and next thought is "Man, I really wish we could inject a little more uncertainty into this by signing a couple of injury-related question marks like Walker or Wood?

So the solution is to add no one? Adding a pitcher with an injury history who is better than just about everyone you have on the cheap doesn't add uncertainty it adds upside. If he blows his arm out in spring training we are in exactly the same position we are already in right now.

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

So the solution is to add no one? Adding a pitcher with an injury history who is better than just about everyone you have on the cheap doesn't add uncertainty it adds upside. If he blows his arm out in spring training we are in exactly the same position we are already in right now.

He has assets to trade and guys are put on waivers all the time to accommodate new players. 

1 minute ago, mulwin444 said:

He has assets to trade and guys are put on waivers all the time to accommodate new players. 

We shall see if a trade occurs but someone like Wood could’ve been had for just money. Getting a clearly better starter will at least cost us Marsh. Waiver wire fodder is not going to be good enough to merit discussion.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

We shall see if a trade occurs but someone like Wood could’ve been had for just money. Getting a clearly better starter will at least cost us Marsh. Waiver wire fodder is not going to be good enough to merit discussion.

And you aren't guaranteed to get clearly better spending $4 mil on Wood either.  This is a guy who couldn't pitch beyond 7 starts due to a back injury.  Maybe he comes back and pitches like he did in 2017-2018 but, if your ambitions are the playoffs, you want something more predicable.  Again, Eppler could have totally dropped the ball here but his focus is guys with a history of durability.

5 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

And you aren't guaranteed to get clearly better spending $4 mil on Wood either.  This is a guy who couldn't pitch beyond 7 starts due to a back injury.  Maybe he comes back and pitches like he did in 2017-2018 but, if your ambitions are the playoffs, you want something more predicable.  Again, Eppler could have totally dropped the ball here but his focus is guys with a history of durability.

Nothing is ever guaranteed. If he pulls off a decent trade I’ll agree with you, but he has passed on some decent alternatives at this point and I’m starting to doubt that he is going to add another arm of significance. I don’t expect we get anyone with more upside than Wood and signing him would not have precluded making another move for someone better.

15 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I can see you seem satisfied with this offseason, even if every analyst I've seen says we just don't have enough pitching to compete with the Astros, A's, Rays, or maybe the Rangers, ChiSox, and BoSox. I hope the analysts and myself are wrong. I'm also hoping Eppler trades for another good pitcher, there are some possibly available. I know we will be much better than last year just don't have a good feeling about making the playoffs again. It's embarrassing.

Where did I say I was satisfied with this offseason?  I was merely pointing out that the offseason isn't finished, and neither is player movement until the trade deadline, and the team has the intact resources to do something about deficiencies.  I also don't believe there is anything to be so negative about, certainly there is nothing embarrassing about this situation.  The only embarrassment in baseball right now is centered in Houston, for cheating.

4 hours ago, RendZone said:

We had the money to sign Wood.  To suggest otherwise is stupid.  Now maybe Eppler doesnt want Wood. Maybe he didnt want Ryu or Kyechal.   That's fine but its idiotic to suggest Pujols stopped us from signing a starter.

14 minutes ago, stormngt said:

We had the money to sign Wood.  To suggest otherwise is stupid.  Now maybe Eppler doesnt want Wood. Maybe he didnt want Ryu or Kyechal.   That's fine but its idiotic to suggest Pujols stopped us from signing a starter.

Our highest paid pitcher makes $5M per season. Pujols makes $29M. If you don’t think Albert’s salary impacts the decision making then I don’t know what to tell you. 

17 hours ago, RendZone said:

The Rendon signing was terrific. They needed more punch in the lineup. They missed out on a frontline pitcher because a very obsolete contract is hitting home. There’s no denying that Albert’s $29M this season and $30M next season would’ve easily allowed us the flexibility to sign a solid arm. 

Do you think with albert off the books, we could have afforded to outspend NY?

Cole got the same money we just paid trout... we would have had to beat that.

Isnt the whole bitch about alberts contract a lesson in not painting yourself in the corner with huge money deals?