• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adell for ROY?

Hubs

Looking back at recent ROY candidate outfielders, they usually range from around 2.0 fWAR to Trout's 10.0, so it's a wide range.

Bellinger, Acuna Jr., and Robles all were between 3.4 and 4.0 fWAR in seasons where they didn't start the year with the team. But usually some combination of defense, OBP, HR, and SB wins the award.

Is it possible for Adell to come up and hit .290 with a .360 OBP and 25 HR and 35 SB in 125 games?

That's a rookie of the year type season, and one that will cement his place with the Angels.

He could also be up and down, hitting .230 in his first taste, with a .310 OBP and 15 HR. But I think he'll be ready sooner than later...

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You must have been sleeping the year Trout was a top ranked prospect.

i'll be honest. i don't remember the trout talk ever being like adell, regionally or nationally.

what was trout's highest prospect ranking in the top 100?

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You must have been sleeping the year Trout was a top ranked prospect.

Naw. People thought Trout had a chance to be good, but people tend to go the hindsight route now that he might end up being the best player of all-time. Wood was everywhere and even part of a deal to Boston for Manny Ramirez or deals for top tier folks like Miguel Cabrera, etc.

4 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i'll be honest. i don't remember the trout talk ever being like adell, regionally or nationally.

what was trout's highest prospect ranking in the top 100?

I am the same. I get most of my minor league or updates here. I thought Wood went up as high as #3, but I couldn't find anything. I did see the article about Trout at #1 in 2011, but he didn't seem to have a normal schedule through the minors.....I think he was even called up a bit early because of injury, but I could be wrong.

back on topic, i think angel fans are set up for classic disappointment. i'd like him to be, but adell can't be trout and i think that's the bar angel fans judge by now.

hopefully, we're more reasonable and i'm wrong. my advice, just sit back and let the kid do what he can do. i don't know why, but i get a garret anderson vibe from him. that will turn off some old fans, but i think that would be solid and potentially his successful floor.

2 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

He was also Baseball America's Minor League Player of the Year in 2011. I remember several scouts rating his speed as 80. 

at fanfest at tempe one year, tim mead was talking to us about the fastest player in the organization. he said it was easily Peter bourjos, but he added that there was a kid in the minors named trout, and just wait till you see him. he was downright giddy.

Now that I've ruined the thread with the Harper picture, let's get back to topic.

I'm being very cautious about expecting too much from Adell in 2020, because he's got a ton of swing and miss in his bat. If we look at the two recent great young hitters in Soto and Acuna, Soto was a far more polished hitter, and Acuna was a better prospect than even Adell is. But Adell isn't far behind those two, and is going to be very good.

While I expect Adell to struggle a bit, he will adjust. It might take him a couple hundred at-bats of hitting <.230, but given ~500 PA or more in 2020, I would expect something above .250/.300/.450, maybe as high as .270/.320/.500. If I were to guess right now it would be something like .259/.307/.466. Eventually he'll hit something like .290/.350/.550+, with 40 HR and 20 SB a year.