• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cole was never going to come to the Angels.

halonatic13

if Cole signed with the Angels the press conference would have been all about how we was coming home and that he was a life long Angels fan.  Cole didn't sign with the Yankees because he was a fan when he was a kid.  He signed with them because they gave him an extra 30+ million dollars than the next closest team.  

Anthony Rendon didn't sign with the Angels because he liked Orange County better than LA.  The Angels paid him the most money.  

23 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

I wrote this is another thread, but I knew lots of kids like that in the 90s. They all wore Yankees and Bulls gear. None of them could name a single player on either team from the years immediately preceding Jordan or Jeter; most of them had never been to New York or Illinois. But they loved cheering for a winner. 

If Gerrit actually still loves the Yankees, that makes me respect him more. I don't keep in touch with any of those kids with whom I went to elementary and junior high, but I'd been willing to bet that if they are still in SoCal, they have switched loyalties and been wearing Dodgers gear for the last few years.  

A close friend of Gerrit's from OLu told me he was always a big Yankees' fan and pitching for them was a "dream" of his. He told me we would of had a better chance of signing him had the Astros won the WS. The Astros losing, factored in with his love for the Yankees (+ the best offer) made them the clear favorite. I don't know that we ever really stood a great chance to begin with outside of media speculation because he is "from" here. 

Just now, robblin17 said:

A close friend of Gerrit's from OLu told me he was always a big Yankees' fan and pitching for them was a "dream" of his. He told me we would of had a better chance of signing him had the Astros won the WS. The Astros losing, factored in with his love for the Yankees (+ the best offer) made them the clear favorite. I don't know that we ever really stood a great chance to begin with outside of media speculation because he is "from" here. 

Even with that knowledge, I still would have cheered for the Nats. 

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if Cole signed with the Angels the press conference would have been all about how we was coming home and that he was a life long Angels fan.  Cole didn't sign with the Yankees because he was a fan when he was a kid.  He signed with them because they gave him an extra 30+ million dollars than the next closest team.  

Anthony Rendon didn't sign with the Angels because he liked Orange County better than LA.  The Angels paid him the most money.  

It's kinda curious that Rendon never gave the Rangers a chance to up their offer.   It may just be lip service from the Rangers front office but Daniels has now on two different occasions said they weren't so much out as it was a case of him moving on the Angels deal very quickly.  That 245 must have been his sweet spot of something.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

I got Jack Pardee's autograph at a Dale's supermarket opening in 1967.

I was 7 years old. I remember thinking he was the biggest man I had ever seen.

i was about 9 or 10 and went to a charity basketball game at the sports arena between the rams and vikings. after the game the players stuck around to sign autographs. somewhere i have a paper with signatures from a few of those guys. saw myron pottios and thought he was the sweatiest, smelliest man i'd ever crossed paths with. i got a signature from les josephson that i prized.

my biggest signature that night was from a usc guy who had just won a heisman trophy and went pro with the bills . . .

Edited by Tank

2 hours ago, halonatic13 said:

This photo says it all.  He used us as a bargaining chip.

Screen Shot 2019-12-18 at 8.20.47 AM.png

Hate to say it, but i mentioned that before the news broke.

Whereas it seemed like we were the perfect fit, and he wanted to come here, more and more it started to seem like boras schooled him to use us against NYY.

Oh please. If he really wanted to play on the Yankees than other teams would have outbid for his services. He simply went to the team that offered the most money. That team happened to be the Yankees. You really think the Angels offered almost 300 million and the Yankees were like well will give you 275 take it or leave it?

4 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Oh please. If he really wanted to play on the Yankees than other teams would have outbid for his services. He simply went to the team that offered the most money. That team happened to be the Yankees. You really think the Angels offered almost 300 million and the Yankees were like well will give you 275 take it or leave it?

You can want to play for a team and get the most money. 

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I’ll put it this way.  I doubt he signs with the Tigers, Orioles or Marlins if they offered the most money. 

That depends on how far off the Yankees would have been. If the Marlins offer him 9/330 than yeah, he plays for the Yankees. If a team offers 9/350, I'd say he signs with said team instead.

3 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

That depends on how far off the Yankees would have been. If the Marlins offer him 9/330 than yeah, he plays for the Yankees. If a team offers 9/350, I'd say he signs with said team instead.

We will never know, I tend to think positively about people and their intentions, you see things different.  We have proof he grew up a Yankee fan.  We have reports saying he got the largest offer from them.  It’s also super easy to say he went to a team because he wanted to win a championship.  To me you are chasing the money if you go to a shit team because they offered the most money.  He went to the team he grew up rooting for, that has a legitimate chance to win it all, oh and they offered the most money.  Do I think he goes to the Marlins for $350 million, no, $370 million,  no, $400 million, maybe.  

I think the the Yankees just weren’t going to be outbid on this one. Starting pitching was their weakness, and Cole is the best pitcher to hit the FA market in a long time.  As others have said, Cole was going to the highest bidder that had real championship possibilities. When it came down to LAA, LAD, and NYY, it became about the money and years. Nine years on a pitcher is a very long time. I’m not broken up about missing on that.

it just feels like the Halos really had no shot at the top pitchers on the market because of geography or crazy money.

Just wanted to add that I don’t mean the above as a criticism of Eppler or the .org. I like the job he’s done overall. I just think this is the hand they were dealt this particular offseason.

I said from the beginning he was either coming home to CA or playing for his favorite team the same one that he was drafted by in 2008 with the 28th pick in the 1st round of the MLB draft. 

He almost signed that day but had already committed to UCLA and his father was a  staunch believer in keeping your word.

Whoever said he was an Angel's fan growing up lied to you. He went to the World Series in 2002 with his parents! That was the extent of his fandom and he was excited when they won!

He wore a Yankees hat whenever he left the house on the weekends growing up as a kid. 

Yeah, it helped that they gave him 30M extra. But, he was also chatted up by Pettite when they drafted him and he said all the same stuff to him about being a Yankee and playing for Championships.... Exception now it was under his control and not where he was drafted.