• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Keuchel

failos

I'm fine with Keuchel as the second option. The Angels still need a lot more upside that that to put atop the rotation. But Keuchel is looking like he's going to cost 20 million a year, and for 170 innings and a low 4 ERA, that's a lot of money. 

Eppler is running short on options. He probably should've made that Kluber deal. Probably should've bidded higher for Corbin and Wheeler too.

Not looking good. We'll see.

2 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm fine with Keuchel as the second option. The Angels still need a lot more upside that that to put atop the rotation. But Keuchel is looking like he's going to cost 20 million a year, and for 170 innings and a low 4 ERA, that's a lot of money. 

Eppler is running short on options. He probably should've made that Kluber deal. Probably should've bidded higher for Corbin and Wheeler too.

Not looking good. We'll see.

Selling Keuchel a bit short there.

27 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Read something yesterday that said Sox are willing to pay down Prices contract to $20 mil / season, so they won't have to include another  player, say like Benitendi.

Makes sense, they can handle including cash, probably.

To be honest though, if Price is projected to say hit 2.6 WAR (his Steamer projection) in 2020, 2.35 WAR in 2021, and 1.85 in 2022 (age-related decline guesses), he would still, even after the Red Sox buying down to $20M per season for 2020-2022, have a pretty deep negative value (something on the order of $20M-$30M in negative value). Bottom line is that the Red Sox will likely either need to eat more salary than that or include a player and/or one or more prospects in a deal I think.

It may just be an immovable contract in many ways. Hard to tell.

EDIT: Actually I screwed up my math. Currently under his $96M owed, he has about $25M-$30 in negative value so, buying his contract down by about $36M ($12M per year to the $20M per season you mentioned) is reasonable and we would only have to send 1-2 low-to-mid level prospects to acquire him I think.

Edited by ettin

2 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Price is too risky at 3/60 imo

I would compare him to Keuchel at this point. The contracts will be very similar. So who is the better option?

Price has missed a lot of time the last few years due to injury, not to mention he's a few years older. That said, he's still likely to at least match Keuchel in terms of performance. Price has pitched his entire career either in the AL East or in hitters parks. 

Honestly, I think it's a wash. The problem is what we'd have to give up for Price. We don't give up prospects for Keuchel.

9 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I would compare him to Keuchel at this point. The contracts will be very similar. So who is the better option?

Price has missed a lot of time the last few years due to injury, not to mention he's a few years older. That said, he's still likely to at least match Keuchel in terms of performance. Price has pitched his entire career either in the AL East or in hitters parks. 

Honestly, I think it's a wash. The problem is what we'd have to give up for Price. We don't give up prospects for Keuchel.

I’m under the impression we’d have to give up nothing for Price even at 3/60. 

With that said, if it’s a wash which I agree with... give me Keuchel simply due to age and health.

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't like Keuchel's  4.72 FIP. He'd probably out-perform that with ERA, but I don't  see him as more than a solid 2-3 WAR pitcher. A good #4, mediocre #3.  

I don’t like how many home runs he gives up for a ground-ball pitcher. 

Even if the Angels signed him, they’d still need to trade for someone better than that (unless they signed Ryu also).

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I don't like Keuchel's  4.72 FIP. He'd probably out-perform that with ERA, but I don't  see him as more than a solid 2-3 WAR pitcher. A good #4, mediocre #3.  

Considering we were running out a bunch of mainly 5+’s last year, I’m okay with that with this offense and defense right now. 

Gio Gonzalez is being overlooked.

Obviously not at the level of Ryu but this is a signing I'm pulling for...

Fangraphs has him at 1/8 or 2/20. I'd love to sign him for something like 2/18. 

"Gio Gonzalez has been a model of consistency — the last time he recorded a FIP- above 100 was 2009, and he’s made 30 or more starts in eight of the 10 seasons since then. At 34, he’s no spring chicken, but he’s adapted to his declining stuff, throwing fewer fastballs and leaning on his delightful, befuddling changeup. The title of “crafty lefty” is handed out too liberally for my tastes, but in this case, it might apply. Gonzalez lost a tick off of his fastball between 2018 and 2019 — and recorded the second-highest swinging strike rate of his career.https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2020-top-50-free-agents/

18 minutes ago, Second Base said:

4.72 FIP last year, ERA in the high 3's. 

Convince me.

His FIP in 2018 was 3.69, which is more in line with his career total. Despite this, his K rate was down, and his hit rate was up. And his ERA was exactly the same.

FIP is not the greatest stat. But I'll add that our infield defense is unmatched, so it shouldn't matter.

Just now, ScottT said:

Cahill: 102 ip, -0.4 WAR

Harvey: 60 ip, -0.7 WAR

Barria: 83 ip, -0.5 WAR

Suarez: 81 ip, -1.2 WAR

Peters: 72 ip, -0.1 WAR

398 innings,  -2.9 WAR.  

Keuchel would be a big upgrade over that... but a 6-man rotation will limit Keuchel’s innings, though.

I wonder how free agents and potential trade targets even feel about the Angels’ plan for a 6-man rotation? Would they be ok with that?