• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Latest on pitching

Pancake Bear

Kluber is apparently too expensive now, per Rosenthal. Darvish is not on the market. 

I don’t have a source for this, but I don’t see the Angels getting Bumgarner. He has a QO, he reportedly is asking 5 years 100m, and given his love of hitting and anti-DH views, I just don’t believe he’ll go to the AL unless an offer is too good to pass up. 

Today it was indicated again that we’re on the lookout for two more pitchers, but Eppler suggested that two starters will likely be too expensive on the free agent market. That means probably trying to reel in one of Ryu or Keuchel, both of whom, per Boras, took notice of our shiny new acquisition this week at 3B.

But if we can’t afford two free agents, I would assume that takes us out of the David Price market unless Boston eats half of his contract. I just don’t see that happening. 

On the other hand, if Kluber costs too much in prospects, where does that leave us on the trade market? Jon Gray? Matt Boyd?

So my guess is we see a signing over the next few days or week of either Keuchel or Ryu - Keuchel sounds more likely at this point (probably Ryu’s price is too high) - and then wait out the trade market a bit or make a late signing on the cheap with a one year deal on an unexciting pitcher. 

3 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

But if we can’t afford two free agents, I would assume that takes us out of the David Price market unless Boston eats half of his contract. I just don’t see that happening. 

Boston is looking to dump payroll, so they might as well keep Price if they are going to have to pay a substantial portion of his contract for him to pitch elsewhere. The flip side is that it is a horrible contract, and a GM would have to be foolish to take it all on.

I feel like Kuechel is a foregone conclusion, why would they even mention him today if that wasnt in the works... the real question is who else. 
You make a fair point on MadBum, he may not want to go to the AL.
If all thats true, i think were looking at starting the year maybe still missing the ace we want and trading for it mid season as i personally dont think any of the other names out there are worth the cost in prospects or cash. 
If i had to guess, Kuechel and maybe Teheran or Miley.   Maybe we put a little into upgrades elsewhere with the difference such as Castro or maybe a placeholder in RF to buy the kids a little more time. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

I feel like Kuechel is a foregone conclusion, why would they even mention him today if that wasnt in the works... the real question is who else. 
If all thats true, i think were looking at starting the year maybe still missing the ace we want and trading for it mid season as i personally dont think any of the other names out there are worth the cost in prospects or cash. 
If i had to guess, Kuechel and maybe Teheran or Miley.   Maybe we put a little into upgrades elsewhere with the difference such as Castro or maybe a placeholder in RF to buy the kids a little more time. 

Yeah, Teheran or Miley is the sort of unexciting choice I was referring to. 

21 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

So my guess is we see a signing over the next few days or week of either Keuchel or Ryu - Keuchel sounds more likely at this point (probably Ryu’s price is too high) - and then wait out the trade market a bit or make a late signing on the cheap with a one year deal on an unexciting pitcher. 

The price of failing to sign Ryu and/or Keuchel is what's really too high. Sign one of them and Miley. and a catcher...

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

71ApppYQp1L._SY606_.jpg

Yeah, Teheran or Miley is the sort of unexciting choice I was referring to. 

Unexciting, but adequate if we upgrade other spots and plan to make a trade at the deadline or spring training.   We cant force someone to make a deal with us, and whats out there right now is equally unexciting in my opinion. 

Just now, floplag said:

Unexciting, but adequate if we upgrade other spots and plan to make a trade at the deadline or spring training.   We cant force someone to make a deal with us, and whats out there right now is equally unexciting in my opinion. 

I figure there’s time midseason to make an upgrade by trade once we see what we have. 

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I heard somewhere, I don't remember where that MadBum was told if he signed they would forfeit the DH when he pitched. Don't Know if it's true or not.

That would be some incredibly stupid managing by whatever AL team does that. Dude's a career .177/.228/.303 hitter. You really gonna handicap yourself against AL opponents by having that be your DH?

2 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I heard somewhere, I don't remember where that MadBum was told if he signed they would forfeit the DH when he pitched. Don't Know if it's true or not.

This is ridiculous. He’s not that good of a hitter to put you at a disadvantage like that. 

1 minute ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Were looking at possibly doing it for Ohtani, why not, lol 
Seriously though, he may like to hit, but hes not that great at it... he put up a 127/236/458 slash line last year, our worst hitter would be an upgrade... thats just selfish as fuck to insist on doing that as far as im concerned. 

If they sign Bum, I think Ryu goes elsewhere. I think Ryu is their second choice. Just a feeling.

That would be odd to me unless they know something negative about Ryu.  He just put up a monster year for them, why would they turn to a guy that has openly hated on them in the past?   You might be right it just seems, odd.   And frankly kinda turns me off on him a bit.

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

That would be odd to me unless they know something negative about Ryu.  He just put up a monster year for them, why would they turn to a guy that has openly hated on them in the past?   You might be right it just seems, odd.   And frankly kinda turns me off on him a bit.

I can’t give you an answer to the why, but Ryu claims they haven’t been in much contact and don’t see overly interested in a reunion. Whereas the name they’re linked to the most is Bumgarner. 

20 minutes ago, floplag said:

I've thought the same

59 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

No chance that’s true. 

I guess the Angels will end up with Keuchel and Robbie Ray. 

Just a guess. 

57 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Anyone willing to take a chance  on Taijuan Walker? He should be cheap coming back from TJ surgery.

It does look like he was granted his release and is a free agent. Like Richards you would be buying up his rehab time with the intent of getting future use in a two year deal. I guess the question is do the Angels have the resources available to pay for him not to pitch for the first couple months of the season. That and does he have any options so they can stash him in the minors for an extended rehab assignment. 

Edited by Blarg

2 minutes ago, Halodays said:

I'd hope they'd at least kick the tires but teams must have their reasons for not signing him already.

I think teams are putting their money into pitchers that can start now and Walker is a plan B if they can pick him up cheap late in the off season.