• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cole's Asking Price: Too steep, or too stupid to pass up?

Taylor

Gerrit Cole Monster Contract  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrit Cole's rumored asking price is now 8+ years, $300+ million. Should the Angels play ball or move on?

• Give him whatever he's asking for.
    • Bow out and let the Yankees have him.

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

Wow didn't know you had such insight into the personal life of Cole. You really think that someone getting a 300 million contract would care about per year salary? The same guy who as an 18 year old turned down 4 million? 

Have an opinion but express it as such. 

Yes I do. I don’t think there’s anyway he signs for 5 mil less a year when Stras just signed for 35. He has the same agent. The starting point will be 35 a year. And I’m not the only one who thinks that all the reports are saying the same thing. 

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

Based on what? WAR? At least 7. They got Bundy too, remember.

And before you imply this makes us a 79 win team I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there. I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

I’m not basing it off war or anything I’m asking as of today if the Angels sign Cole. What’s the win total of the Angels at the end of the year. 

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Based on what? WAR? At least 7. They got Bundy too, remember.

And before you imply this makes us a 79 win team I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there. I'm not going down that rabbit hole.

Well, you can't just say, "We get a 7 WAR player, so that'll give us 7 more wins," either.  Take a look at what the Angels team WAR was last year.  I guarantee you it won't add up to anything near 79, because that's not how the stat works at all.

Just now, Kevinb said:

I’m not basing it off war or anything I’m asking as of today if the Angels sign Cole. What’s the win total of the Angels at the end of the year. 

I don't know. I'm not a fucking psychic.

But what I do know is that it's significantly higher than it would be if they didn't.

Just now, jsnpritchett said:

Well, you can't just say, "We get a 7 WAR player, so that'll give us 7 more wins," either.  Take a look at what the Angels team WAR was last year.  I guarantee you it won't add up to anything near 79, because that's not how the stat works at all.

That's not at all what I was saying.

So I’m in the “pass” camp based on recent news of demands. This team needs much more than one great pitcher. We have the greatest offensive player on the team and it wasn’t enough to make the offense that good. I hate these type of contracts but that is just the way it is now. 

14 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Those who vote "no" aren't allowed to complain about the Angels pitching next season.

To be fair, the no’s should only be allowed to complain 4/5 of the time and prohibited from using the “Cole cost too much to afford anyone else “ argument.

1 minute ago, aznhockeyguy said:

Just because you vote no doesn't mean you don't want the team to improve.  I'd allocate that money to two to three starting pitchers instead of just Cole.

Which "two to three" starting pitchers?

The problem with this argument is it assumes that everyone will sign here. So we can just take the contract we'd offer Cole and split it in half or in thirds to get more pitchers. It's literally the Bavasi argument. 

No one is even close to the level of Cole. So you sign "two or three" guys to fill the rotation, and yet you're getting similar overall output. What's the point? 

I'm aware that Cole is only affecting 1 game at a time, but overall, over the course of a full season, are two or three pitchers having a better impact? I don't think so. Not with what's available.