• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tommy La Stella Expectations

m0nkey

I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels sign Moustakas for 3B, have Fletcher at 2B and move LaStella to 1B.  Then, you just have Pujols DH the games Ohtani doesn't and you don't ever have Pujols play 1B.

They could then trade Rengifo for pitching like @totdprods mentioned.

Edited by VariousCrap

On 11/18/2019 at 4:49 PM, Troll Daddy said:

Fletcher isn’t going anywhere but in the starting lineup. La Stella could likely be a trade candidate ... sell high! If not I’m not convinced that he’s a starter. He’ll have to earn that in ST. 

I believe he will be a FA after 2020 and may cost us $2M plus this season. 

TD, I hope you're right, but we have a lot of guys that can play 2B, and Thaiss looked ok in the few games he played at 3B.  The trade value of Fletcher may never be higher, and we have decent depth in the minors at 2B.  Plus, there are a lot of 2B in the free agent pool this year.  

It will be interesting to see what direction Billy Eppler goes with this.

3 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels sign Moustakas for 3B, have Fletcher at 2B and move LaStella to 1B.  Then, you just have Pujols DH the games Ohtani doesn't and you don't ever have Pujols play 1B.

They could then trade Rengifo for pitching like @totdprods mentioned.

Has Moustakis been given the most comments on AW for a player that has never played for the Angels?

22 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Hahaha....good point.  It is probably because signing the guy has made so much sense for the Angels for three years in a row.

Year one maybe, but he priced himself out. Last year, not really. This year, not even slightly unless Pujols is going to be a bench player and Arte is spending 100 million. 

40 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Or they made an obvious mistake.  These are the people who thought Harvey was a good idea.

It might be a mistake but the fact remains the front office has passed on him.  So the didnt think he was there best option.

He isnt this year.  We have our entire infield as well as back ups.  Save the money for pitching 

5 hours ago, stormngt said:

It might be a mistake but the fact remains the front office has passed on him.  So the didnt think he was there best option.

He isnt this year.  We have our entire infield as well as back ups.  Save the money for pitching 

Overall, I agree with ya.  The infield isn't a priority for sure, especially when I'm hoping for three new starting pitchers.

The conundrum is who will provide protection for Trout in the lineup. Can Upton return to 2018 form, no way Albert can and beyond them there is little power in the lineup. There is a major need at third base so sign Moustakas, hope that Adell is ready by the end of May, Goodwin produces like last season. There is very little room for error. 

4 hours ago, TroutCron said:

The conundrum is who will provide protection for Trout in the lineup. Can Upton return to 2018 form, no way Albert can and beyond them there is little power in the lineup. There is a major need at third base so sign Moustakas, hope that Adell is ready by the end of May, Goodwin produces like last season. There is very little room for error. 

This is and will continue to be my biggest issue until we add another legit bat to the lineup.

I get that starting pitching is the priority but save a little cash for another FA bat or trade for a proven offensive bat behind the dish.

Here's the thing. Ohtani misses 3 games a week. 

I agree with @Adam on La Stella. I want to believe he'll duplicate what he did in 2019, but what if he doesn't? How many one-year wonders have we seen in baseball?

How about Goodwin? Pujols? Can Upton stay healthy? Can Simmons stay healthy and improve on what was a very bad year offensively? No production from our current catchers. 

Hey, lots of offseason to address these things but there's undoubtedly question marks on offense after Trout and 3-4 days of Ohtani in our lineup. Fletcher is the only other lock on who will provide some offense, albeit with no power. 

On one hand, we could look at Zack Cozart and see another possible fluky "breakout" season that wasn't actually a breakout, but a fluke. On the other, there are at least two reasons to think otherwise:

1) BABIP. Cozart's BABIP in 2017 was .312, almost 40 points higher than his career number of .273. La Stella was at .282 last year, .293 for his career.

2) Time played. Cozart had been a full-time player for half a decade. La Stella thrived under his first real chance.

That said, while I think a repeat of 2019 is possible, I'd be happy with less. I think .280/.340/.460 might be a good over/under prediction.

On 11/21/2019 at 7:04 PM, TroutCron said:

That is for three games a week. I am concerned about the games where Ohtani sits and pitches. This goes back to my original premise. 

Ohtani will pitch on Sunday, as the Angels have 8 Mondays off.  There are two Sunday games at NL Parks.  

Tue, Wed, Thur and Fri you are going to see #17 batting behind #27.

On 11/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, ScottT said:

Tommy La Stella posted a much higher OBP and slightly lower SLG in 2017.  Its not like his offensive numbers in 2019 were outrageous.

I expect his career numbers, at least, and I think he'll post a decent SLG (.440?) Lower home run rate, more doubles. 

LaStella’s career numbers are based on limited AB per season. He has been largely a platoon player and pinch hitter. He was outstanding in 2019, but again, with limited AB due the injuries. I wouldn’t assume that he can replicate his 2019, but it would be nice. 
I would do everything possible not to trade Marsh. He has shown to be a possible 5- tool player who would look great in a in an outfield with Trout and Adell.