• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How disappointed will you be if the Angels don't sign Gerrit Cole?

beatlesrule

It seems a lot here have convinced themselves that the Angels will sign Cole. Will this offseason be a disappointment to you if the Angels do not sign him? Are you all or nothing? Will you be happy with any other combination of players? Do you think getting back to the playoffs begins and ends with Cole?

Pretty much all I have been reading for the last couple of months is Gerrit Cole this and Gerrit Cole that on this forum so it seems like it would be a massive disappointment of epic proportions to many if Arte does not get the job done.

Edit, sorry about spelling the name wrong. I was doing talk-to-text and didn't bother to check to make sure the spelling was right. I will from now on.

It depends.  We desperately need an ace, but if signing Cole limited what else we could do to add to the pitching staff, catcher, and anything else we might want to do, I wouldn’t be too upset.  If our offseason consisted of Cole, Miley, and Castro, it would be ok, but not enough.  Just spitballing, but if we could do a Wheeler, Odorizzi, Hamels, and Grandal/trade for Contreras haul for a similar price, that’s the depth we would need to really give it a go.  

38 minutes ago, KevinStockerIsGod said:

If our offseason consisted of Cole, Miley, and Castro, it would be ok, but not enough.  Just spitballing, but if we could do a Wheeler, Odorizzi, Hamels, and Grandal/trade for Contreras haul for a similar price, that’s the depth we would need to really give it a go.

I get this sentiment, but there is no way we're acquiring 4 or 5 of the most sought after players in one offseason. 

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

It takes two to tango, so that tempers my expectations...   Only way I'll actually be bent is if Arte doesn't make a legit effort.

Yep and since it’s not as simple as going to the market and buying an Ace it kind of is what it is.  Arte could offer him 8 years and $260 million and the team up the freeway could be tired of having the best team and not winning the World Series could outbid you be infinite dollars.  Does that mean Arte didn’t try or didn’t “do what it takes” not really.  Every team has a ceiling for each free agent, let’s hope ours is high enough and that he wants to be here as has been reported. 

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

Spending lavishly on Cole and then penny pinching would be very stupid, IMO. Miley and a crappy catcher paired with Cole would leave us all hoping for a wild card berth if things go right. 

you don’t get a Ferrari and then fill it up with 87 gas at arco.

Ohtani isn't 87 gas 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I absolutely think Ohtani could be an Ace, all the more reason to sign Cole.  It’s not like having two dynamic 3rd baseman or catchers where only one can play at a time. 

is there an extra mound i don't know about?