• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Contract Predictions from The Athletic // Jim Bowden

totdprods

Paywall - https://theathletic.com/1343614/2019/11/04/bowden-ranking-the-top-35-free-agents-and-predicting-their-contracts-and-best-fits/?source=dailyemail

Here's the predictions, plus anyone in which the Angels are named as a best fit. 

CRAZY money for Cole and Strasburg. The prices he cites for Ryu and Wheeler would be low in my opinion. Castellanos as well, though his fit on an Angel club is tenuous at best. 

1. Gerrit Cole - 8/$288m, $36m AAV - Angels, Yankees, Dodgers, Giants
  2. Stephen Strasburg - 7/$238m, $34m AAV - Nationals, Padres
  3. Anthony Rendon - 7/$231m, $33m AAV - Nationals, Braves, Dogers, Rangers Mets, White Sox
  4. Madison Bumgarner - 4/$84m, $21m AAV - Braves, Phillies, Nationals, Astros, Giants
  5. Marcell Ozuna - 5/$92.5m, $18.5m AAV - Cardinals, Braves, Red, Giants, Mariners
  6. Zack Wheeler - 4/$74m, $18.5m AAV - Mets, Phillies, Brewers, Twins, Angels
  7. Hyun-Jin Ryu - 3/$55.m, $18.5m AAV - Dodgers, Angels, Twins, Brewers
  8. Josh Donaldson - 3/$75m, $25m AAV - Braves, Nationals, Rangers
  9. Nicholas Castellanos - 4/$64m, $16m AAV - Braves, Cubs, Marlins, Blue Jays, Mariners, Padres, Giants, Angels
  10. Yasmani Grandal - 3/$57m, $19m AAV - Brewers, Reds, Astros, Rays
  11. Jake Odorizzi - 3/$30m, $10m AAV - Twins, Rangers, Brewers, Blue Jays
  12. Cole Hamels - 2/$36m, $18m AAV - Cubs, Phillies, Brewers, Twins, Astros, Angels
  13. Dallas Keuchel - 3/$42m, $14m AAV - Braves, Phillies, Brewers, Rangers, Twins, Pirates, Angels
  14. Didi Gregorius - 1/$12.5m AAV - Yankees, Reds, Giants, Phillies, Mariners
  15. Will Smith - 3/$39m, $13m AAV - Astros, Braves, Red Sox, Dodgers, Angels
  16. Mike Moustakas - 2/$24m, $12m AAV -  Brewers, Angels, Nationals
  17. Yasiel Puig - 4/$48m, $12m AAV - Indians, Mariners, Padres, Marlins, Blue Jays
  18. Jose Abreu - 3/$60m, $20m AAV - White Sox, Rangers
  19. Edwin Encarnacion - 1/$12m AAV - White Sox, Rangers, Rays
  20. Will Harris - 2/$18m, $9m AAV - Astros, Nationals, Phillies, Twins, Angels, Rangers
  21. Michael Pineda - 1/$8m AAV - Twins, Brewers, Phillies, Angels, Blue Jays, Padres
  22. Adam Wainwright - 1/$10m AAV - Cardinals
  23. Kyle Gibson - 2/$18m - $9m AAV - Twins, Brewers, Phillies, Angels, Blue Jays, Padres
  24. Rick Porcello - 1/$9m AAV - Pirates, Blue Jays, Brewers, Twins
  25. Brett Gardner - 1/$10m AAV - Yankees
  26. Avisail Garcia - 2/$17m, $8.5m AAV - Rays, Mariners, Padres
  27. Drew Pomeranz - 2/$10m, $5m AAV - Astros, Brewers, Braves, Red Sox
  28. Joe Smith - 2/$10m, $5m AAV - Astros, Angels, Phillies, Braves
  29. Howie Kendrick - 1/$7m AAV - Nationals, Red Sox, Rockies
  30. Robinson Chirinos - 2/$14m, $7m AAV - Astros, Reds
  31. Rich Hill - 1/$8m AAV - Dodgers, Phillies, Brewers
  32. Eric Sogard - 1/$2m AAV - Rays, Nationals, Indians, Cubs, Athletics, Angels
  33. Travis d'Arnaud - 2/$10m, $5m AAV - Rays, Reds
  34. Brett Anderson - 1/$4m AAV - Athletics
  35. Tanner Roark - 1/$5m AAV - Athletics, Brewers, Twins, Blue Jays

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

8 years at $36 mil a year for Cole would be flat out stupid. 

Might as well fill the roster with Wheeler and either Bumgarner or Ryu for the same AAV then have money for Grandell. 

Bowden is full of sh*t. He probably works for Boras. The only serious buyer for Cole will be the Angels.

Wow... OK, a few thoughts.  
Wow, 36M to Cole?  Thats pretty rarified air.  Do i pay anyone as much as Trout, no.  Close maybe, but no.  Thats a point where we have to take a step back and say is it worth it.  You could get Wheeler and Bumgardner for that.... or Wheller and Odorizzi with left over for a bat.
We have a total of about 60M at most based on speculation here, 36 to one guy no matter who he is or how good he is when we have more than that one need seems, excessive. 
Do that many people deserve Trout-esque money?  i dont think so, this is getting silly.

I was listening to his show last night and was just shaking my head.  The thing he seemed more confident of was that Cole was going to get 8 years, he was speaking to it as if it was fact.  Did you guys know that Eppler worked for the Rockies at one point?  I must have missed that.  I think it was Ryan Spilborghs who does a show with Bowden who was saying that Eppler signed him in his home when he was with the Rockies.  

Bowden is the worst.  I hate guys who speak with authority when in reality, they don't have a clue.  They think they have the definitive answer for everything and they never let up.  When they're proven wrong - they move on to the next stupid thing.  They have no humility and they just run their mouth non-stop.  Reminds me of someone on AW...

If Cole is going to get anything even close to 8 years and that amount, let someone else pay it.  The Angels need to stay far away from that.

It would be way better for the Angels to sign Wheeler and Odorizzi for the rotation and then look to improve the offense at either 3B or C.

13 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

If Cole is going to get anything even close to 8 years and that amount, let someone else pay it.  The Angels need to stay far away from that.

It would be way better for the Angels to sign Wheeler and Odorizzi for the rotation and then look to improve the offense at either 3B or C.

Yeah, i agree.  If it gets anywhere near that area let someone else go there and take the twofer is possible.

28 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I'd still do 8/288. If the Angels signed Cole for 7/252, would you say that's too much? I mean yeah, it's ridiculously expensive but still. The extra year isn't gonna hurt nobody.

I don't think it will get that high, though. 7/230 is my guess.

Just think how we'd feel right now if we'd signed Pujols to one less year.

If Cole/Boras think 8/288 is a realistic goal then he won't sign until very late, by which time we will likely have moved on.

We are too close to contention and our needs are too great to wait until the last moment hoping to overpay for one player.

If we can get Strasburg and Wheeler for the same price as Cole, let's get it done.

Edited by Fish Oil

Ok, let me ask everyone a question here.

Would you rather sign Cole for 8 years and nearly 300 million, or Zack Wheeler and Hyun Jin Ryu for basically the same AAV and half the length of time?

To me, if Bowden is correct on these numbers, the decision to move on from Cole would be an easy one.