• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Zobrist?

Revad

Isn’t Fletcher our Zobrist?  What happens if Maddon wants Zobrist too? 

MLBTR Chat With Mark Polishuk

Jed
10:18
All of the Cubs talk this season has been a foregone conclusion that Zobrist is gone? You think theres still a decent chance he comes back?

Mark P
10:18
I'd say the odds of him leaving are much larger than the odds he stays.  In fact, this is just a guess on my part, but I suspect Zobrist might end up in Anaheim next year to join Maddon
Edited by Revad

I mean if Arte just wants to throw money around and signing Zobrist doesn't prevent the Angels from filling team needs on the mound and behind the plate, I'd say ABSOLUTELY!!!

Ben Zobrist is one of the best clubhouse leaders in the game, and as we saw from his return to Chicago after the heartbreaking family situation he found himself in, the man can still hit. And, signing Zobrist affords the Angels the opportunity to plug Fletcher in at shortstop and third base, and also eliminated the need to rush Adell or Marsh for corner outfield duty.

Depth is a good thing. 

Zo was in Tampa Bay and Chicago with Maddon, I see no reason why he shouldn't make it 3/3.

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

We have Ben Zobrist already. His name is David Cozartgifo.

Cozart won't be an Angel next year, Fletcher will be needed at third base mostly unless you think the Angels will sign Rendon (they won't) or Matt Thaiss develops into an everyday player, and Rengifo would have more development time in AAA or move into the utility role, it even share time with Zobrist, making his impact as a player less pivotal for the offensive success of this team.

Glad this post was created, I had been dwelling on putting it up for a couple days...at a glance, Zobrist doesn't make much sense, but I do think the Maddon connection and the Angels' needs for a bit of veteran insurance across the diamond could make this plausible. I do agree that Cozart makes it less likely, but also think Cozart is a likely 60-day DL/DFA candidate as well. 

Zobrist's presence, as @Second Base mentioned, really mixes up the complexion of the bench in a good way:

•  4th OF - no longer necessary. Goodwin can spot CF, and Zobrist/Fletcher can cover LF/RF. 
    • This makes it easier to make Hermosillo the default 4th OF - but they don't have to commit to him as the full-time solution.
    • They can option him as needed if they need pen help or different bench needs.
    • Saves money from a stopgap 4th OF vet, which is still possible, if they don't feel Hermosillo is ready.
  • 1B Platoon - Zobrist can provide some left-handed hitting 1B help, or La Stella can serve in that role splitting with Albert at 1B with Zobrist as the 2B/3B depth.
    • You can now cut Bour and save a couple mil, especially since he's now out of options.
    • Frees up La Stella to settle in to a more full-time role at either 2B or 3B, no need to pressure him into 1B as he hasn't played there much.
    • Also remember, rosters go up to 26 next year. He isn't blocking anyone.
  • Bench Corner Infielder - 
    • No need to rely on Thaiss, Walsh, Ward, or Rojas just yet. They might be better than Zobrist right now even, but you can get them AAA reps so they aren't rotting on bench.
    • Good teams have good depth. This gives the young Angels IF a chance to work on new positions in AAA for the first couple of months, such as Walsh in the OF, Rojas at 1B, Rengifo at SS, etc.
    • I'd imagine that there's a good chance signing a veteran IF is still on this winter's shopping list, especially if Cozart seems unlikely to really return.
  • Designated Hitter
    • On days when Pujols is at 1B and Ohtani is unavailable, you can move Upton/Goodwin to DH and let Zobrist/Fletcher/Hermosillo get OF time.
    • No need to bring in any sort of offense-first bench vet to pick up these ABs, or limit the kids to this role

Effectively, signing Zobrist allows the Angels to cut Bour, fill one minor winter need, loosen up all of their infield depth's expectations, and allow them to take their time with both Hermosillo, Adell, and even Marsh. It dominoes a lot of things nicely. 

Also - trades! It's a bit easier to part with a Ward, Walsh, Rojas, or Thaiss in a deal for some pitching help knowing there's a one-year vet stopgap.