• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Move Brandon Marsh to First Base?

Second Base

I think there's a case to be made.  Typically, I'd say, "bad idea, don't move your best defensive outfield prospect out of the outfield."  But the more I weight the pros of such a move, the more it makes sense.  Here the argument in favor.....

1. Moving Marsh to 1B allows the Angels to play Adell in RF, and Upton in LF.  It doesn't require Justin Upton to learn a new position this late in his career. 

2. It allows Marsh to sort of be eased into playing at the top level.  Obviously, La Stella and Pujols are still going to get some at bats at first base, but allowing Marsh to platoon over there in 2020 as a 22 year old, will allow him to play himself into an everyday role in 2021, as a 23 year old. 

3. Marsh is left-handed.  This isn't to say all lefties can play first base as much as it's to say that first base is a position that can be played by lefties, unlike 2B, 3B or SS. 

4. Jordyn Adams. Most of you already know him from the epic dunk video, or simply that he was our first round pick in the 2018 draft.  Well he's already worked his way up to Advanced A Ball.  He's not having the success that Adell had immediately, but considering he was even more committed and scouted as a football player than Brandon Marsh was, and has accelerated at the speed at which he has, it's pretty incredible.  You're going to hear a lot more about him very soon.  The athleticism is off the charts and the reports coming from Arizona indicate he's the best player on the field among his like-aged peers.  Moving Marsh to 1B allows the Angels the opportunity to keep Jordyn Adams.  Adams is a borderline Top 100 prospect already, but likely won't be major league ready for another two-three years.  This timeline just happens to fit Upton's timeline with the Angels.  By the time Adams is ready, he'll be 22, Marsh will be 24, Adell will be 23, and Trout will be 31.  That's right around the timeframe where you'd expect Trout to move to a corner outfield spot, and Adams' range in CF is a sight to be seen. 

5. There is a precedence for moving a highly athletic, quality defensive outfielder to first base, in Darin Erstad.  

-----------------------

It isn't the most ideal alignment, but it does allow the Angels to hold onto their prospect capital that Eppler has been so diligent in accumulating. 

Edited by Second Base

Intriguing, although it would be nice if that happened for Marsh to develop the power in the next couple of years.

I still like Fletcher at 3B and Rengifo at 2B, long term.    Key then is if Simba can rebound at the plate in 2020, and then be re-signed for another 4 years.

LaStella can fill in at multiple positions, and thus still get a majority of starts in 2020. 

This is a stupid idea. Sorry but you don't take an elite athlete and strip him of all his value by sticking him at first base. First base is where catchers go when their knees give out. 

And besides, you are completely ignoring the fact he could replace the wanderer that has never tracked a ball off a bat and push Upton to first base where he at least shouldn't get lost covering the bag. 

Upton is not playing 1B. His only move will be to DH, and that is not likely to happen until Pujols moves on. I actually like this idea of moving Marsh to 1B, and the Erstad comp makes sense. This isn’t to say Marsh is stuck at 1B forever. Just like Erstad moved around.

Edited by jordan

11 minutes ago, jordan said:

Upton is not playing 1B. His only move will be to DH, and that is not likely to happen until Pujols moves on. I actually like this idea of moving Marsh to 1B, and the Erstad comp makes sense. This isn’t to say Marsh is stuck at 1B forever. Just like Erstad moved around.

Maddon reportedly prizes positional flexibility. Marsh could play 1B and shift to OF as defensive replacement. It isn’t the worst idea.

6 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Get a real 1st baseman. This team has money and could use another bat. There’s no point in moving stone hands Upton to 1st or rushing Marsh just to play him out of position.

spend the 10 million and get a legit big league hitter

jose Aubreu is someone I’d look at. Also Mitch Moreland or possibly Justin Smoak

There is no chance they’re going to acquire a 1B as long as Pujols is under contract and Ohtani is eating up DH AB’s. They also have multiple options who can play adequate 1B. Only position player upgrade we’ll see (absent a buyout of Pujols or a trade for pitching).

8 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

There is no chance they’re going to acquire a 1B as long as Pujols is under contract and Ohtani is eating up DH AB’s. They also have multiple options who can play adequate 1B. Only position player upgrade we’ll see (absent a buyout of Pujols or a trade for pitching).

Pujols needs to be put out to pasture if the team is serious about winning. The dude can barely move

Pujols should be relegated to an occasional DH when Ohtani can’t and otherwise the bench. Upton still can be a productive hitter. Marsh still hasn’t played above AA. You don’t worry about what position Minor Leaguers will play until they are needed. Marsh and Adell can both play all three outfield spots. The Angels can sign a IB and not have to rush Adell and Marsh until they are needed. 

56 minutes ago, Blarg said:

This is a stupid idea. Sorry but you don't take an elite athlete and strip him of all his value by sticking him at first base. First base is where catchers go when their knees give out. 

And besides, you are completely ignoring the fact he could replace the wanderer that has never tracked a ball off a bat and push Upton to first base where he at least shouldn't get lost covering the bag. 

You mean like the Dodgers wasting Bellinger at 1B? You’re right, the Dodgers are stupid. SMH. We don’t want to emulate them. Good athletes playing part time at 1B would never work. 

5 minutes ago, TroutCron said:

Pujols should be relegated to an occasional DH when Ohtani can’t and otherwise the bench. Upton still can be a productive hitter. Marsh still hasn’t played above AA. You don’t worry about what position Minor Leaguers will play until they are needed. Marsh and Adell can both play all three outfield spots. The Angels can sign a IB and not have to rush Adell and Marsh until they are needed. 

Under Maddon, I wouldn’t bet on it. 

19 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

This is one of your worst ideas Scotty.  Marsh is arguably the best defensive outfielder of the whole bunch.  And you know that.  What are you talking about here ?

My first thought was, "What?!?" as well, but the more I think about it, it makes sense. A lot of smarter teams than you and me have used rookies that way. It's not an impossibility. Doesn't mean I think they will, but to say there's no precedent for moving a young, elite defensive player to a different position (e.g. Bellinger; heck, even Betts has played 2B periodically; the Angels used Erstad at 1B) is just untrue. 

And if it helps him crack the majors? It honestly makes more sense than moving Upton to 1B. Much as I'd like that to happen, it doesn't seem very likely, and DH isn't open to any serious degree.

1 hour ago, Sean-Regan said:

You mean like the Dodgers wasting Bellinger at 1B? You’re right, the Dodgers are stupid. SMH. We don’t want to emulate them. Good athletes playing part time at 1B would never work. 

the Dogs did the complete opposite of that.  He spent the vast majority of his minor league career at 1b.  Then they realized how valuable he was in the OF where he spent about 75% of his time this year.  

I'm all for adding some flexibility to Marsh's game IF his bat is worth getting into the lineup 

5 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the Dogs did the complete opposite of that.  He spent the vast majority of his minor league career at 1b.  Then they realized how valuable he was in the OF where he spent about 75% of his time this year.  

I'm all for adding some flexibility to Marsh's game IF his bat is worth getting into the lineup 

Obviously in an ideal scenario we wouldn’t do that. Having said that, if Marsh plays his way into the lineup, I don’t see Upton moving. So this would be a solution to get him into the lineup. That also solves your 4th OF roster spot. It’s not a perfect scenario, but it has a lot of benefits if both Marsh and Adell are MLB ready without immediately having to figure out an alternative for JUp. 

3 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Obviously in an ideal scenario we wouldn’t do that. Having said that, if Marsh plays his way into the lineup, I don’t see Upton moving. So this would be a solution to get him into the lineup. That also solves your 4th OF roster spot. It’s not a perfect scenario, but it has a lot of benefits if both Marsh and Adell are MLB ready without immediately having to figure out an alternative for JUp. 

sure.  I doubt there's gonna be an immediate need to get Marsh's bat into the lineup but if that scenario presents itself then getting him a little time at 1b in the minors isn't a terrible idea.  I am not a fan of it from an everyday/long term solution because of Marsh's defensive ability as an OFer.  

2 minutes ago, RBM said:

I think Marsh will play most of, if not the full season in AAA. I think Adell will most likely start the season in AAA but be our RFer by May or June. 
The kids are coming but I don’t see the team forcing it unless they earn it in AAA. 
It will happen as the Simmons, Pujols and Upton contracts expire over the next few years. 

I'm unclear - what does Simmons have to do with it? Pujols, I can maybe see. But, I mean, unless Marsh and Adell really have setbacks, they'll both be ready at latest by 2020 Spring Training, perhaps sooner. Based on his AFL work, I think Marsh likely starts the year in AAA. I don't know that Adell has much more to prove there, tbh.