• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How about Simba & Suarez for Anthony DeSclafani?

Chuck

So yeah this team needs a Gerrit Cole and possibly one of Odorizzi or Wheeler as well, but why stop there? How about also trading Simba for a team rich in starting pitching?

Pitching half of his games in a bandbox, DeSclafani posted a 3.89 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 167/49 K/BB ratio over 166 2/3 innings in his 31 starts this season and is only 29.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of trading Simba and giving the everyday SS job to David Fletcher. I think he's earned it based on his offense and defense. He's a spark plug atop the lineup too. 

We could sell high on Suarez being that he's awfully young and has had tremendous success in the minors. (I'm not a fan after watching him this season).

The Reds have Bauer, Castillo, Gray, Wood, Gausman, Mahle. 

Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

So yeah this team needs a Gerrit Cole and possibly one of Odorizzi or Wheeler as well, but why stop there? How about also trading Simba for a team rich in starting pitching?

Pitching half of his games in a bandbox, DeSclafani posted a 3.89 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 167/49 K/BB ratio over 166 2/3 innings in his 31 starts this season and is only 29.

I'm starting to warm to the idea of trading Simba and giving the everyday SS job to David Fletcher. I think he's earned it based on his offense and defense. He's a spark plug atop the lineup too. 

We could sell high on Suarez being that he's awfully young and has had tremendous success in the minors. (I'm not a fan after watching him this season).

The Reds have Bauer, Castillo, Gray, Wood, Gausman, Mahle. 

Thoughts?

Not sure that's how I'd characterize someone who had a WAR of less than -1.0. 

I feel like selling Simba off after a down year doesn't allow you to max his value.  He was pretty brutal offensively this year and his normal swing (which at baseline looks pretty bad) was all out of whack.  He was a popup machine.  

I think the reds are an interesting potential trade partner though.   A guy that could be a target for us is Mahle.  Had an off year but misses bats and rolls a lot of ground balls.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

I feel like selling Simba off after a down year doesn't allow you to max his value.  He was pretty brutal offensively this year and his normal swing (which at baseline looks pretty bad) was all out of whack.  He was a popup machine.  

I think the reds are an interesting potential trade partner though.   A guy that could be a target for us is Mahle.  Had an off year but misses bats and rolls a lot of ground balls.  

Everyone shits all over Simmons and Upton, just like they did on Calhoun last year.

Easy money around here: Bet that next offseason, fans will be begging to extend Simmons and bragging on our 1-2-3 punch outfield. It's practically a sure thing.

4 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

Everyone shits all over Simmons and Upton, just like they did on Calhoun last year.

Easy money around here: Bet that next offseason, fans will be begging to extend Simmons and bragging on our 1-2-3 punch outfield. It's practically a sure thing.

For what it's worth, Upton deserves every bit of the criticism he's gotten here and elsewhere. 

Do I think Upton and Simmons will have a better 2020 campaign? Well in Upton's case, there's only one way to go and that's up -- if he can manage to stay healthy. 

Simmons has a year left on his contract and like Doc said, he's been shit on offense this season. That swing looks awful. If he can hit like he did the previous two years I'd be down to keep him and trade Fletcher. 

At the start of the season, I was a big proponent of trading Simmons; I thought he could fetch a young pitcher who would help when the team was ready to compete again. 

But after watching Fletcher and especially Rengifo at SS this season, I have a new appreciation for the luxury of having a player at short like Simmons. (Also Jeff Fletcher made a comment that Simba wouldn't fetch as much as many people - including me - thought he would.)

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

For what it's worth, Upton deserves every bit of the criticism he's gotten here and elsewhere. 

Do I think Upton and Simmons will have a better 2020 campaign? Well in Upton's case, there's only one way to go and that's up -- if he can manage to stay healthy. 

Simmons has a year left on his contract and like Doc said, he's been shit on offense this season. That swing looks awful. If he can hit like he did the previous two years I'd be down to keep him and trade Fletcher. 

The Upton complaints are childish and reactionary.

Why trade either Simmons or Fletcher? So we can throw a bad contract at Rendon? I’d like to be competitive this next decade, personally. If Rengifo or Thaiss looks worth playing full time and La Stella comes back solid, we can trade from a position of strength. No one is offering much for Simmons right now. 

2 hours ago, SoPas Angel said:

But after watching Fletcher and especially Rengifo at SS this season, I have a new appreciation for the luxury of having a player at short like Simmons.

That's about where I'm at on this discussion. I would feel like the Angels would be selling low like the Padres did with Ozzie Smith. 

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Why trade Fletcher? He was the second best hitter and a much better defensive player than expected. He also plays the game the right way and did a good job as a leadoff hitter. Fletcher is a keeper. 

@Chuckster70 I’ve been thinking a Simmons trade for about a month now. 
Since we know Upton isn’t going anywhere I’d go balls out with this: 

Trade Simmons, Suarez, Marsh, Yan, And Ward for Noah Syndergaard.

This saves us $15M and we only lose Marsh as our top prospects. Suarez is moveable now since we have control of Thor plus money for an extension when the time comes. Gives us time to develop Barria, Sandoval, Soriano and the pitcher we draft in the first round for 2020. 

Then we sign Gerrit Cole and Zack Wheeler. This keeps our payroll around $177M

rotation is: Cole, Thor, Ohtani, Heaney, Wheeler, Canning.