• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick

One of my favorite Angels, ever. A lot of people - including me at times - were frustrated that he didn't put up a .350+ average like he did in the minors, but he gave the Angels several seasons between 3 and 6 WAR. I would have rather had one more season with him than the 5 we have seen from Heaney. 

31 minutes ago, SoPas Angel said:

One of my favorite Angels, ever. A lot of people - including me at times - were frustrated that he didn't put up a .350+ average like he did in the minors, but he gave the Angels several seasons between 3 and 6 WAR. I would have rather had one more season with him than the 5 we have seen from Heaney. 

That last sentence... depressing. And accurate.

12 hours ago, RBM said:

Why be so negative? Howie is a hell of a player and had a great season.

Kendrick will finish with 124 games played. 

Our “MVP” played in only 134 games this year. 

Why be so negative?

Howie was and is a good player, but there's something magical that happens to players once they reach 35 or so: all of sudden people view them as better than they actually ever were. Nostalgia, I guess. The Joe Biden Effect?

26 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

there's something magical that happens to players once they reach 35 or so: all of sudden people view them as better than they actually ever were. 

That is certainly one possibility with Kendrick.

But another possibility is that people look at the rotation of players the Angels have run out at second base the last five seasons and think to themselves You know, I really didn't appreciate Howie enough when we had him

3 hours ago, SoPas Angel said:

But another possibility is that people look at the rotation of players the Angels have run out at second base the last five seasons and think to themselves You know, I really didn't appreciate Howie enough when we had him

Sure. This happens a lot of with average to good players - they are often underappreciated because they're not stars and/or didn't fulfill expectations ("future batting champ"), and then you feel the lack when they're gone.

3 hours ago, SoPas Angel said:

I never understood the hate he got when he was here.

In the scenario you gave above, you could say the same for guys like GA and Torii (why is it always black guys?).

But howie when he was here was always a punching bag for some people. "Im sick of him chasing sliders!". Reality was, he was a steady bat that became a really solid defender. Was never overpaid. Great team guy, good to the fans.

I never understood why he was a target. The no batting champ thing was way overstated. 

• 2 weeks later...