• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Howie Kendrick

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea what you’re talking about. You might want to read this place if you think I’m one of the more vocal Trout MVP guys.  Sure I think he will win it, but I won’t feel is was somehow wronged if he doesn’t.  Hell we have guys that think he was cheated out of an MVP when he lost to a Triple Crown winner.

I have a much bigger problem with a grown man using a term like “triggered” on the internet and thinking he made a point.  Triggered is the snowflake of really dumb internet warriors.   You’re a bright guy, act accordingly.  

I actually thought Trout should have won over MCab when he had the Triple Crown. RBIs being a relatively worthless stat and all...

But I thought Mookie was a good choice last year.

Just goes to show the labels.... clutch.... choker... etc.... are generally ridiculous, mainly because of sample size.

I'd honestly forgotten Howie Kendrick was kind of known of a choker until a former AngelsWin poster tweeted about it.  

Prior to 2002, Barry Bonds had that reputation, too.

Silliness

On 9/25/2019 at 12:05 PM, SoPas Angel said:

That is certainly one possibility with Kendrick.

But another possibility is that people look at the rotation of players the Angels have run out at second base the last five seasons and think to themselves You know, I really didn't appreciate Howie enough when we had him

This is my thought exactly - although Fletcher is a solid player at least 

10 hours ago, Mark68 said:

I actually thought Trout should have won over MCab when he had the Triple Crown. RBIs being a relatively worthless stat and all...

But I thought Mookie was a good choice last year.

I don’t understand how rbi can be a worthless stat. I get it’s all about hitting when people are on base but eventually a team does need to score runs to win the game. When do rbi matter? When a guy has 150? 200? Would people then think well that’s impressive? The name of the game is scoring more runs than the opposition at the end of the day right?

16 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I don’t understand how rbi can be a worthless stat. I get it’s all about hitting when people are on base but eventually a team does need to score runs to win the game. When do rbi matter? When a guy has 150? 200? Would people then think well that’s impressive? The name of the game is scoring more runs than the opposition at the end of the day right?

if you put David Fletcher in the #3 spot and he ends up driving in more runs because Trout hits ahead of him, does that make him a better player than when he's batting leadoff and hitting in front of Trout with fewer chance to drive guys in?  For the most part, hitting with RISP is not a repeatable skill.  I say for the most part because there are some guys who do seem to have a knack for it - like Albert.  By and large though it's a consequence of where in the order you bat.  Some also claim that they've tailored their approach to being in a spot where you need to drive guys in or that their approach is more conducive to driving guys in - like Garrett Anderson.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if you put David Fletcher in the #3 spot and he ends up driving in more runs because Trout hits ahead of him, does that make him a better player than when he's batting leadoff and hitting in front of Trout with fewer chance to drive guys in?  For the most part, hitting with RISP is not a repeatable skill.  I say for the most part because there are some guys who do seem to have a knack for it - like Albert.  By and large though it's a consequence of where in the order you bat.  Some also claim that they've tailored their approach to being in a spot where you need to drive guys in or that their approach is more conducive to driving guys in - like Garrett Anderson.  

I understand that. I’m just saying at the end of the day it’s not meaningless. You have to score runs to win games. At what point do we become impressed again with rbi? When a guy has 150? 175? 200? Baseball numbers used to be symbolic of something. Have we gone to far to one side or the other with it? Winning as a pitcher no longer matters? We look at what these “ace” pitchers are doing in the postseason  and it looks like they’re not being taken out after 3 innings and/or having an opener. I don’t know just ranting. Carry on. Also F*ck ya Howie! 

12 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

I understand that. I’m just saying at the end of the day it’s not meaningless. You have to score runs to win games. At what point do we become impressed again with rbi? When a guy has 150? 175? 200? Baseball numbers used to be symbolic of something. Have we gone to far to one side or the other with it? Winning as a pitcher no longer matters? We look at what these “ace” pitchers are doing in the postseason  and it looks like they’re not being taken out after 3 innings and/or having an opener. I don’t know just ranting. Carry on. Also F*ck ya Howie! 

if you are looking for ways to assign value to players then I can tell you with certainty that teams are not going to put stock in how many RBI a guy has as an indicator of their performance going forward.  At some point you do have to score runs.  That's why they track runs.  But as a team.  

The evolution of advanced metrics for individual players is essentially trying to weed out all the variables that can't actually be attributed to said player.  Like with RBI, if a player is a great hitter and hits behind three guys who have and obp of .400, he doesn't become a lesser player if he hits behind 3 guys who have an obp of .300.  

A pitcher can get the win and give up 8 runs or get the loss and give up none.  How does that win or loss attributed to those guys tell you anything about their performance?  It might tell you a little over the course of a season but there are other things that tell you a lot more.  

5 hours ago, Lou said:

if RBI don't matter then hitting with risp shouldn't either. 

I’d say it matters but inside a season.  But how one guy does one season with RISP isn’t a good indicator of how they’ll do the next season with RISP.  Even guys we think are clutch almost are never “clutch” compared to how they usually perform.  Jeter was considered clutch, yet his OPS is lower with RISP than his career average as was his batting average.