• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Madden out in Chi? Interest?

floplag

12 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Like I’ve said before.... Ausmus stays as long as Eppler does. He’s not going to get rid of Ausmus after one season. It would look bad on Eppler the same way that getting rid of Allen, Harvey and Lucroy so quickly has already done. 

Ok so Ausmus stays as long as Eppler, but Eppler didn’t hesitate to release guys that cost the team more in one season than Ausmus’s entire contract?   That makes very little sense.  

3 hours ago, Lou said:

I'm beginning to think it was the players who couldn't hit or pitch 

Nah, Ausmus is supposed to make a space shuttle out of broken couplings, dry wall, ball bearings and snot like some managerial version of Macgyver.

2017 - loses NLCS

2018 - loses Wild Card Game

2019 - misses playoffs entirely 

Declining performance for three years?  With that roster? But people are lining up here to polish his knob.

Of course...

14 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Nah, Ausmus is supposed to make a space shuttle out of broken couplings, dry wall, ball bearings and snot like some managerial version of Macgyver.

2017 - loses NLCS

2018 - loses Wild Card Game

2019 - misses playoffs entirely 

Declining performance for three years?  With that roster? But people are lining up here to polish his knob.

Of course...

To be fair, Maddons closer was a let down, and bryant rolled his ankle today....

So its different

I just disagree with the use of openers, for one thing.  If we had quality starters instead of some of the guys we have been running out there, maybe I would change my mind.

I can't help but think that Ausmus is not very good with a pitching staff, number one, and number two, bullpen guys are bullpen guys for a reason, maybe with the exceptions of Middleton and Robles.

And, I hope that doesn't effect the team when they are pursuing the top tier starters this offseason.  To go anywhere next season, and in future seasons, I think we'll need to sign two.  And, no, Wheeler is not a top tier starter.

In a vaccuum, Maddon is a better coach, IMO. That said, no way are they firing Ausmus. Nor should they. I hated the hire when it happened, but results aside (the best manager in history couldn’t have made this team a winner), his process (admittedly, just from the outside looking in) was solid and a clear improvement over Scioscia, who, for all his openness to analytics and progress was still too slow on updating to modern strategy. 

3 hours ago, Baghdad Strad said:

Ok so Ausmus stays as long as Eppler, but Eppler didn’t hesitate to release guys that cost the team more in one season than Ausmus’s entire contract?   That makes very little sense.  

Basically Eppler isn’t going to fire a guy he decides to hire as a manager. As long as Ausmus coaches based on the system Eppler and staff create then he’ll stay.

I also think it’s a tiny cover up to release almost all the FA he signed too. Not sure how much of an impact it would make for Eppler given they were all one year contracts. 

No one is going anywhere. It all depends how the Angels do this winter and how they finish in 2020. If they sign Cole and someone like a Wheeler then we should be in WC contention. A losing 2020 season could cost Eppler. 

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

I just disagree with the use of openers, for one thing.  If we had quality starters instead of some of the guys we have been running out there, maybe I would change my mind.

I can't help but think that Ausmus is not very good with a pitching staff, number one, and number two, bullpen guys are bullpen guys for a reason, maybe with the exceptions of Middleton and Robles.

And, I hope that doesn't effect the team when they are pursuing the top tier starters this offseason.  To go anywhere next season, and in future seasons, I think we'll need to sign two.  And, no, Wheeler is not a top tier starter.

So, openers should be used only when you have quality starters? That’s exactly the opposite of their purpose. Based on this post, I don’t think you understand how baseball uses relievers in recent years. And why the hell would it make any difference on starters coming here? They don’t use openers for good pitchers; they use them for guys who are only going to make it twice through the top of the order. And if Wheeler isn’t a top tier starter, I’m not sure who you think is in this class. Please don’t say Madbum.  

I still think it’s pretty short-sighted to think the pitcher usage this year was at the discretion of Ausmus. It was pretty obviously an organizational decision that he was in position to implement. Maybe the results from this season will change the philosophy. Maybe not. Either way it won’t be the field manager deciding based on his own preferences 

I've always been a Joe Maddon fan. I thought the should have hired him instead of Scioscia.  

But that's the past.  We have a manager.  There is a lot that I don't like about Ausmus, but this season would have sucked no matter who the manager was.  

Ausmus is not very good regardless of his record.

Blaming players only magnifies a coach's inability to put players in a position to succeed.  Simply look at the numbers related to Angel pitching when the count is in favor of the pitcher.

Bob Melvin has consistently done more with lesser players than any other manager currently employed.  The Angels may not have had the personnel to win a division or sniff a wildcard but being consistently steamrolled towards the end of the season should raise some questions regarding the coaching staff.  The Angels are not even competitive at this point.  The Angels have become the Orioles in less than a year.