• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Prospect Perspective: Brandon Marsh vs. Kyle Lewis

Chuck

Anyone that has been following baseball outside of the Angels miserable stretch dive has seen what the Mariners former top outfield prospect has done over his first 3 games with the Mariners. Three games, 3 home runs, sporting a 1.818 OPS vs. major league pitchers. He's really hit the ball hard and looks like a proven major leaguer, given it's a tiny sample size. 

Let's now compare our second best outfield prospect not named Jo Adell in Brandon Marsh who is 3 years younger, bats lefthanded and plays a superior defense in the outfield between the two. 

If you've been a visitor to our 2019 Prospects Thread this season you would have known that the Texas and Southern Leagues are pretty tough on hitters and favorably a pitchers league. 

With that in mind and with how well Lewis has done after his recent promotion, straight from Double-A to the bigs, look how Marsh stacks up against Kyle. 

Double A stats:

Kyle Lewis: (24 years old) - 122 games, .263/.342/.398 (.741 OPS) with 11 HR, 3 SB

Brandon Marsh: (21 years old) - 96 games, .300/.383/.428 (.811 OPS) with 7 HR, 18 SB    

With Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh in the corners and with Mike Trout in center (I believe Justin Upton will DH and possibly play 1B down the road for the Angels), things look pretty promising for the Halos going forward in the outfield department. 

Lewis' career OPS is only .751, including stops in rookie ball, A+ ball, and AA.     He actually had fallen in the rankings in 2018, as he only put up a .711 OPS between A+ and AA.

His first 3 games are a huge surprise, based on all of that.   But it may just be one of those things.

Can't wait to see Marsh debut up here at some point next season.   He's got an Edmonds vibe to him, talent wise, probably faster though.    Edmonds never exceeded 14 HRs in a minor league season, and yet ended up just a little short of 400 career MLB HRs.    

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Anyone that has been following baseball outside of the Angels miserable stretch dive has seen what the Mariners former top outfield prospect has done over his first 3 games with the Mariners. Three games, 3 home runs, sporting a 1.818 OPS vs. major league pitchers. He's really hit the ball hard and looks like a proven major leaguer, given it's a tiny sample size. 

Let's now compare our second best outfield prospect not named Jo Adell in Brandon Marsh who is 3 years younger, bats lefthanded and plays a superior defense in the outfield between the two. 

If you've been a visitor to our 2019 Prospects Thread this season you would have known that the Texas and Southern Leagues are pretty tough on hitters and favorably a pitchers league. 

With that in mind and with how well Lewis has done after his recent promotion, straight from Double-A to the bigs, look how Marsh stacks up against Kyle. 

Double A stats:

Kyle Lewis: (24 years old) - 122 games, .263/.342/.398 (.741 OPS) with 11 HR, 3 SB

Brandon Marsh: (21 years old) - 96 games, .300/.383/.428 (.811 OPS) with 7 HR, 18 SB    

With Jo Adell and Brandon Marsh in the corners and with Mike Trout in center (I believe Justin Upton will DH and possibly play 1B down the road for the Angels), things look pretty promising for the Halos going forward in the outfield department. 

What about Walsh? He seems closer to the ML than Marsh.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Lewis' career OPS is only .751, including stops in rookie ball, A+ ball, and AA.     He actually had fallen in the rankings in 2018, as he only put up a .711 OPS between A+ and AA.

His first 3 games are a huge surprise, based on all of that.   But it may just be one of those things.

Can't wait to see Marsh debut up here at some point next season.   He's got an Edmonds vibe to him, talent wise, probably faster though.    Edmonds never exceeded 14 HRs in a minor league season, and yet ended up just a little short of 400 career MLB HRs.    

I also mentioned Edmonds as a possible comp. I think the power will come for Marsh - if not next year in Salt Lake, then in a year or two in the majors.

I've been a big fan of Marsh's from the day he was signed, but was a bit worried earlier this year. No longer - I'm very optimistic about his future and think he's going to be a very good player.

4 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Double A stats:

Thanks for the reminder that this current shit show could end.

For me, this is the best way I can comprehend who we have in Brandon Marsh. The Angels are not a good team, and have the biggest need for pitching amongst pretty much any team in the game. Their outfield is blocked, pretty much any way you shake it. Unless players are traded, there simply isn't a spot available for Marsh or any other outfield prospect in the system. Mike Trout is in his prime and the Angels have a legitimate shot to compete. They're quite literally two good starting pitchers away from being a contender. Three good starting others away from being an actual playoff team (if Ohtani is healthy).

Given ALL of those factors, this team STILL refuses to even discuss Brandon Marsh in trade negotiations.

That's how good the Angels think he is.

Like there's Mike Trout, GOAT, Superstar Jo Adell one or two tiers below him, and just a single tier below him, there's Brandon Marsh.  

He must be really good. Even better than I think he is, and I'm known for my optimistic view of prospects.

Edited by Second Base

Sorry , Chucky. I think Marsh and maybe even Simmons centerpiece a trade for a solid SP. Someone like Thor.

But man do I drool over the idea of an outfield featuring Marsh, Trout, Adell. 

Im also one to wish Upton moves to 1B but it’s easier said than done. Plus, if Upton stays in LF his whole contract till  2022 then Marsh is stuck. Marsh should be fully ready to go come 2021 and I doubt the Angels want him being a 4th outfielder till 2023. 

3 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Sorry , Chucky. I think Marsh and maybe even Simmons centerpiece a trade for a solid SP. Someone like Thor.

But man do I drool over the idea of an outfield featuring Marsh, Trout, Adell. 

Im also one to wish Upton moves to 1B but it’s easier said than done. Plus, if Upton stays in LF his whole contract till  2022 then Marsh is stuck. Marsh should be fully ready to go come 2021 and I doubt the Angels want him being a 4th outfielder till 2023. 

A trade is very logical. But again, everything that's been reported, and everything I've seen.... The Angels aren't even open to negotiating with him on the trade market.

They are very high on him, and are operating under the impression that Brandon Marsh will play for the Angels. 

Someone is going to shift to 1B, either Upton or Marsh.

4 hours ago, Second Base said:

For me, this is the best way I can comprehend who we have in Brandon Marsh. The Angels are not a good team, and have the biggest need for pitching amongst pretty much any team in the game. Their outfield is blocked, pretty much any way you shake it. Unless players are traded, there simply isn't a spot available for Marsh or any other outfield prospect in the system. Mike Trout is in his prime and the Angels have a legitimate shot to compete. They're quite literally two good starting pitchers away from being a contender. Three good starting others away from being an actual playoff team (if Ohtani is healthy).

Given ALL of those factors, this team STILL refuses to even discuss Brandon Marsh in trade negotiations.

That's how good the Angels think he is.

Like there's Mike Trout, GOAT, Superstar Jo Adell one or two tiers below him, and just a single tier below him, there's Brandon Marsh.  

He must be really good. Even better than I think he is, and I'm known for my optimistic view of prospects.

I think that narrative completely changes this offseason. Angels know they can get 2 solid pitchers using their financial might this offseason. They also know they can get a third player by moving MLB ready talent and out prospects. 

Let’s guess:

Angels sign Cole and Wheeler. (adds around $45M to payroll)

Angels trade Simmons, Marsh, Suarez, Yan, and Ward for Noah Syndergaard. (Angels save $7M dumping Simmons’ salary and replacing with Thor’s salary of roughly $8M)

total amount added to payroll: $38M for 2020. Payroll sits around $176M 

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

A trade is very logical. But again, everything that's been reported, and everything I've seen.... The Angels aren't even open to negotiating with him on the trade market.

They are very high on him, and are operating under the impression that Brandon Marsh will play for the Angels. 

Someone is going to shift to 1B, either Upton or Marsh.

If that’s the case then it’d have to be Upton. Marsh is way too athletic to get stuck at first base.

10 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I think that narrative completely changes this offseason. Angels know they can get 2 solid pitchers using their financial might this offseason. They also know they can get a third player by moving MLB ready talent and out prospects. 

Let’s guess:

Angels sign Cole and Wheeler. (adds around $45M to payroll)

Angels trade Simmons, Marsh, Suarez, Yan, and Ward for Noah Syndergaard. (Angels save $7M dumping Simmons’ salary and replacing with Thor’s salary of roughly $8M)

total amount added to payroll: $38M for 2020. Payroll sits around $176M 

A few obstacles, mostly on the Angels end.

1. Simmons is still there best defensive shortstop in baseball when he's healthy, and as we've all seem, Eppler built teams put a heavy emphasis on run prevention. So I don't think Simmons is on the trade block.

2. Eppler is about as averse to trading prospects as any GM in baseball.

3. Again, Marsh hasn't been on the table at all so far. 

4. The Mets dealt for pitching at the deadline because they fully intend to compete next year. So they probably won't trade Thor until the trade deadline.

My guess is the Angels sign both Wheeler and Cole, and they trade Thaiss and Goodwin for bullpen depth. They'll start the year with Upton in left, Adell in RF, Hermosillo or Ward as 4th OF, La Stella at 3B, Fletcher at 2B, Rengifo at utility and Marsh in AAA.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

A few obstacles, mostly on the Angels end.

1. Simmons is still there best defensive shortstop in baseball when he's healthy, and as we've all seem, Eppler built teams put a heavy emphasis on run prevention. So I don't think Simmons is on the trade block.

2. Eppler is about as averse to trading prospects as any GM in baseball.

3. Again, Marsh hasn't been on the table at all so far. 

4. The Mets dealt for pitching at the deadline because they fully intend to compete next year. So they probably won't trade Thor until the trade deadline.

My guess is the Angels sign both Wheeler and Cole, and they trade Thaiss and Goodwin for bullpen depth. They'll start the year with Upton in left, Adell in RF, Hermosillo or Ward as 4th OF, La Stella at 3B, Fletcher at 2B, Rengifo at utility and Marsh in AAA.

Simmons is the best, but Fletcher is pretty skillful as well and the Angels could use that salary somewhere else. 

I do agree that eppler will bite his tongue on trading the prospects he drafted. I think Marsh suddenly is on the table for the right player. As is anyone. The Mets fully intend to compete next year but they need a veteran infield presence to push them over the top. Can Isn’t that guy anymore. They have the rotation, but they know they won’t get anywhere without infield help. Their starters are due for big raises soon so their window might be next season. Since they are deep in the rotation I’d imagine they shop Thor around. 

Highly doubtful that Simba gets traded. I'm agnostic on whether I'd do it if a top pitcher could be had in return, but I'm bullish that Simba's value is low at present. SS is a tough position to trade in any case, and with him batting at replacement level (or worse), any team that might even be interested in betting on the upside has no incentive to offer much.

It should be obvious at this point he's worth more to keep him than to move on from him. 

Kyle Lewis has consistently been one of our hardest hitters in the minor leagues. His home park is an EXTREME pitcher's park.

Look at his minor league splits.

.196/.282/.273/.555 at Home

.319/.392/.504/.896 Elsewhere. 

Only thing that knocked him off the top prospect lists was a disgusting ACL injury. 

Throw someone who hits the ball hard into the MLB with it's juiced balls and boom. 

HR(108.9mph), HR(106.2mph), HR(105.6mph), 2B(105.6mph), 1B(104.6mph).

Two of his three HR's broke up no-hitters against Trevor Bauer and Sonny Gray ... so he's hit some shots off legit pitchers so far. 

https://twitter.com/bahlahkaay/status/1172519049051295744

I'm excited for him ... after all he's been through.

An outfield of Kyle Lewis, Jarred Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez in the future for the Mariners could potentially be amazing.

1 minute ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Only way i can see Marsh getting traded is if we are in desperation mode! That means we missed out on Cole. Other than that i do not see Marsh getting traded, especially with how Upton performed this season and his injuries.  

I think we're in desperation mode the exact millisecond the World Series ends.

7 hours ago, Ender said:

Kyle Lewis has consistently been one of our hardest hitters in the minor leagues. His home park is an EXTREME pitcher's park.

Look at his minor league splits.

.196/.282/.273/.555 at Home

.319/.392/.504/.896 Elsewhere. 

Only thing that knocked him off the top prospect lists was a disgusting ACL injury. 

Throw someone who hits the ball hard into the MLB with it's juiced balls and boom. 

HR(108.9mph), HR(106.2mph), HR(105.6mph), 2B(105.6mph), 1B(104.6mph).

Two of his three HR's broke up no-hitters against Trevor Bauer and Sonny Gray ... so he's hit some shots off legit pitchers so far. 

https://twitter.com/bahlahkaay/status/1172519049051295744

I'm excited for him ... after all he's been through.

An outfield of Kyle Lewis, Jarred Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez in the future for the Mariners could potentially be amazing.

Collectively, their WAR could equal Trout's in a single season! 

I swear I am not attacking, it's just because you're a Mariners fan, that's all. Nothing personal.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Collectively, their WAR could equal Trout's in a single season! 

I swear I am not attacking, it's just because you're a Mariners fan, that's all. Nothing personal.

Good thing you guys have shown you can make it to the World Series with just one stellar player!