• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The age of our rotation

Docwaukee

And as a result it might take them a year or so (2020) to really acclimate. We need another couple guys like Madero, Beasley, Wantz, and Ortega to get on the cusp as well to stave off the injury concerns.

Soriano and Yan might be ready for a taste in 2021 too. 

If the Angels do sign Cole or a legit frontline arm, wouldn’t mind seeing them try to sign Hamels for a one-year pact to help out too. Break the bank for one season. It’d parallel their pursuit of Sabathia in recent offseasons too. 

Holy crap @Dochalo !!!

I had no idea. Without Allard being promoted last week, the Angels have the first, second, third and fourth youngest starting pitchers in all of baseball.

But to be fair, this isn't a bad thing. Barria, Suarez, Sandoval and Canning all have bright futures in the major leagues. Barria, Suarez and Sandoval as a mid to back end starters and Canning as a mid to front of the rotation starter.

17 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

In other words, the Angels cannot rely on any of those guys to be MLB ready 7 months from now. They’re going to need to sign an ace and find 3 other MLB caliber SPs by March of next year. 

that's the opposite of what they need to do.  

whether you like it or not, these kids need time to develop and get better.  They need to keep financial flexibility.  

Or they could trade a couple of them for an established starter.  Which could accelerate the timeline for winning.  I hope they keep Canning of the four and I am sure they will.  

2 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

Tbf, being young and in the majors doesn't mean they'll be good. Canning will rebound and be fine but the other three are back end starters at best. Hell, Stassi made the majors when he was 22 too

Being young in the majors does mean you are good. Performing well depends on more than just being good.

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

that's the opposite of what they need to do.  

whether you like it or not, these kids need time to develop and get better.  They need to keep financial flexibility.  

Or they could trade a couple of them for an established starter.  Which could accelerate the timeline for winning.  I hope they keep Canning of the four and I am sure they will.  

Racist.  

Actually I would like to keep all 4.  Would really help with flexibility.  

9 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Being young in the majors does mean you are good. Performing well depends on more than just being good.

it also doesn't mean that they're what they're going to be.  And frankly, all of them have shown some promise.  No one is expecting them to be #1 starters, but depth and mid to back end starter for league min is super important.  

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

I doubt anyone who's sober thinks we're going to have a rock solid rotation next year, so to have one in his age 30 season is the best case scenario.

We've literally been talking about it since Skaggs passed away.

Ohtani + someone like Cole + another starter to replace Skaggs = "Rock solid rotation"

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think this gets glossed over due to expectations as we think that every time a player is called up they're going to hit the ground running.  

I was looking up some stats as it relates to age for Jose Suarez and realized a couple things about not only Suarez, but Barria, Canning and Sandoval.  

Jose Suarez is the second youngest player in mlb to start a game this year.  The youngest is Koby Allard who has started all of one game.  Saurez is also the 4th youngest pitcher to throw in a major league game this year.  

Patrick Sandoval is the 3rd youngest player in mlb to make a start this year.  

Jaime Barria is the 4th youngest

Griffin Canning is the 5th youngest.  

that's not a misprint.   The Angels have 4 of the 5 youngest starters in the majors right now.  

I was absolutely astounded by this.  

But I think this should give us some perspective and help all of us with our expectations.  It may also make for a good article by @Jeff Fletcher to do a historical comparison about rotation age and/or debuts of pitchers in Halo history.  

I'll let the man they call Spock explain my sentiments on this post:

tenor (1).gif