• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The age of our rotation

Docwaukee

12 minutes ago, kj_maestro said:

If this isn’t evidence we’ve been rebuilding, I don’t know what is

If we can get 2 starters, 1 solid catcher, 1 solid bullpen arm, find a way to retire Pujols and trade Calhoun we could be in great shape. I’m still concerned about Simmons and Upton who are both showing decline. 

Let's look into this idea of a solid rotation by looking at the rotation of the teams currently set to make the playoffs.  We'll simply be using non-advanced metrics to analyze these teams.

Yankees: Tanaka - 4.93 ERA, Happ - 5.48 ERA, German - 4.05 ERA, Paxton - 4.40 ERA, Sabathia - 4.78 ERA.

Rays: Morton - 2.90 ERA, Chirinos - 3.62 ERA, Snell - 4.28 ERA, Stanek - 3.40 ERA, Glasgow - 1.86 ERA, Yarbrough - 3.90 ERA. (To be fair, entering next year they'll have Morton, McKay, Glasnow and Snell which won't be fair)

Twins: Berrios - 3.24 ERA, Gibson - 4.24 ERA, Perez - 4.80 ERA, Odorizzi - 3.44 ERA, Pineda - 4.15 ERA. (After this season, the vast majority of this staff will be free agents, so in order to remain competitive, the Twins will need to spend a lot of money)

Indians: Bieber - 3.28 ERA, Plesac - 3.13 ERA, Clevinger - 3.02 ERA (Kluber and Carrasco are on the mend). 

Astros: Verlander - 2.68 ERA, Cole - 2.87 ERA, Miley - 2.99 ERA, Peacock - 4.13 ERA, Greinke - 3.08 ERA. 

Entering 2020, the Yankees rotation appears to be in shambles, and they'll need to make some hard decisions, swallow some money and spend some more to try and field a better team.  Their offense is already really good, and so is the bullpen, but that rotation doesn't look playoff caliber in any way.  The Rays on the other hand look like the most dangerous team in baseball in 2020, if they can stay healthy.  The Twins don't appear to have much of a future in the rotation, so again, they'll need to spend hundreds of millions just to keep up, which I don't see happening.  The Indians rotation has been, and likely will remain elite for a couple more years, but much of it is dependent upon health.  Carrasco is fighting leukemia, Kluber has a ton of mileage on his arm, Clevinger had the back injury.  The Astros are losing Cole and Miley, but they've got enough young guns in AAA and the bullpen to not replace them as much as fill the gap. 

Now if the Angels can enter 2020 with something like Ohtani, Cole, Wheeler, Canning and Heaney, their rotation would be better than the Yankees and Twins to be sure.  Depending on the Indians health, it may keep up with them.  Depending on the Astros replacement arms stepping up, it may be able to keep pace with them as well.  The Rays....I don't see anyone keeping pace with them.

The end result here, is that if the Angels spend some serious money, which by all accounts that is a strong likelihood, then they will indeed have a strong rotation.  One with upside, and a ton of depth with Barria, Sandoval and Suarez in AAA.

4 hours ago, Calzone 2 said:

If we can get 2 starters, 1 solid catcher, 1 solid bullpen arm, find a way to retire Pujols and trade Calhoun we could be in great shape. I’m still concerned about Simmons and Upton who are both showing decline. 

There is no way they can trade Calhoun this season, and during the off season they would have to pick up the option to have a chance to trade him.  I think most of us know that isn't going to happen.

8 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

This. Everybody is focusing on pitching and pitching only. The line of thinking is that if the Angels have a competent rotation next season that they’ll be in the playoffs. But that’s assuming the offense performs just the same. 

Pujols will be worse, Calhoun could easily become a .150 hitter again, Melvin is in decline, etc. If it’s not the pitching it could very well be the offense next year if their expectation is to get the same production from Pujols, Calhoun (or Adell) and for Upton to hit to his career averages. Mark my words. 

Who the F*ck is Melvin?

19 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Who the F*ck is Melvin?

It’s something people say when they mean Justin, because get this, they think it is funny, pretty great huh?  I mean the first time I read it I was like, “omg, that is the single funniest thing, I have ever read”.  

Also people say Melvin instead of calling him the N-word.  Thanks Obama.  

Just now, Stradling said:

It’s something people say when they mean Justin, because get this, they think it is funny, pretty great huh?  I mean the first time I read it I was like, “omg, that is the single funniest thing, I have ever read”.  

I think it's because his brother's name is Melvin (formerly BJ Upton) who isn't very good so that's where the 'comedy' comes from.  That he's as bad as Melvin don't call me BJ.  

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

10 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I think it's because his brother's name is Melvin (formerly BJ Upton) who isn't very good so that's where the 'comedy' comes from.  That he's as bad as Melvin don't call me BJ.  

Sigh....

I guess adults acting this way is the new normal.

Thanks.

24 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I have no idea if they are adults, one still believes in UFOs and they both believe Melvin is funny.  

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I mean come on.  You don't piss yourself every time someone calls him Melvin?   

If they made a Scioscia Lasagna joke in the same post, I might lose it completely.  

oh.  my sides.  

My comment was not directed at you two.

With Skaggs, they still needed a FA Ace to make this pitching staff competitive for 2020 when Ohtani returns. Without Skaggs, they need two guys.

I know Barria is in a 2nd season slump. Canning, Suarez, Sandoval are rookies. Ohtani will only be in his 2nd pitching season.

I'd think they're going to go to 6 starters again, with Ohtani.

Cole, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval is an ok rotation, but adding one more mid tier guy helps significantly.

Also, remember, this year is on pace to be the worst pitching output from the Angels since 2000, and has a chance to top that one too. It's going to be the 3rd or 4th worst pitching season in Angels History.