• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The age of our rotation

Docwaukee

5 hours ago, MacNasty said:

This conversation is the baseball equivalent of "check's in the mail."  We have youth in the rotation so everything's gonna be good someday.  And that may be correct.

But I'm sorta feeling like the landlord right now.

no one is claiming that we're set for the next 6 years. But that they're not the finished product and at least a couple of them will likely solidify rotation spots going forward while being better than we've seen over the last couple months.  

It likely means that we don't need an entire rotation but maybe 2 guys in addition to Ohtani.  

And the check is always in the mail as it relates to baseball.  

8 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Bumgarner and Cole are my two picks.

Bumgarner struggled some through June 25.   Since then, 2.78 ERA and 0.90 WHIP, only 4 HRs allowed in 55 innings

Only age 30 for most of 2020 and currently almost 1900 career MLB innings, so how long of a deal would Arte be willing to give him, given his past big game pitching?  

4 years/$70 million?  

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Bumgarner struggled some through June 25.   Since then, 2.78 ERA and 0.90 WHIP, only 4 HRs allowed in 55 innings

Only age 30 for most of 2020 and currently almost 1900 career MLB innings, so how long of a deal would Arte be willing to give him, given his past big game pitching?  

4 years/$70 million?  

Cole must be target number one.  I'd stay away from Bumgarner.  I'd prefer target number two being Jake Ordorizzi or Zack Wheeler.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

no one is claiming that we're set for the next 6 years. But that they're not the finished product and at least a couple of them will likely solidify rotation spots going forward while being better than we've seen over the last couple months.  

It likely means that we don't need an entire rotation but maybe 2 guys in addition to Ohtani.  

And the check is always in the mail as it relates to baseball.  

I'm tired of pitching coming up short.  So If I were the guy reporting to the boss on the product I'd go way beyond tinkering with a couple additions to ensure we're good and by God we might suck the next year but it wouldn't be from pitching.

I'd load a few new arms at a minimum who pitch to contact who can utilize our solid defense and ensure we can log innings.  And a big name FA on top of that to head up the rotation.

7 hours ago, Hubs said:

Also, remember, this year is on pace to be the worst pitching output from the Angels since 2000, and has a chance to top that one too. It's going to be the 3rd or 4th worst pitching season in Angels History.

Something to remember here. 2002...

I know thats gonna piss some people off.

But if you compare the late 90s teams to the current one, there are some similarities. Meaning the offense core is in place. The bullpen is steady. 

Obviously there are differences. But 2001 was brutal. Then we added Aaron Sele and Kevin Appier... not exactly huge moves. Especially when Oakland had the Big 3.

Things suck today, but its trending positive. Adding 2 arms this offseason should make this a totally different team next year 

7 hours ago, Hubs said:

With Skaggs, they still needed a FA Ace to make this pitching staff competitive for 2020 when Ohtani returns. Without Skaggs, they need two guys.

I know Barria is in a 2nd season slump. Canning, Suarez, Sandoval are rookies. Ohtani will only be in his 2nd pitching season.

I'd think they're going to go to 6 starters again, with Ohtani.

Cole, Ohtani, Heaney, Canning, Suarez, Sandoval is an ok rotation, but adding one more mid tier guy helps significantly.

I don't know if Barria is just in a 2nd season slump.  I don't know if he is even gonna stick as a 5/6

They are definitely going with six starters....   well... Ohtani is pitching every sixth day, at most.     Roster shenanigans will continue.

11 minutes ago, MacNasty said:

I'm tired of pitching coming up short.  

EVERYBODY IS.

But the biggest reason it has has mainly been out of the teams hands. At most, you can critique the fact we havent drafted and developed arms. Thats a fair critique. (Though to be fair, some on here clamoring for trades, also dug on Vinnie Pestano...)

But unless someone can pinpoint that the SPs (and middleton) have been used dangerously, making their arms blow up (twice for Richards), then this isnt truly the fault of the org. Anymore than Skaggs dying is.

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

normally I don't give a squat about who and what people click on in terms of reactions.  But you chose to go with 'trolling' which I find absurd.  

bro you are like the most liked person on this board. You get around 10 likes per post. Why would one random troll face bother you. I gave you that troll reaction because you gave it to me the other day and I'm vengeful. 

I'll remove it though

14 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

EVERYBODY IS.

But the biggest reason it has has mainly been out of the teams hands. At most, you can critique the fact we havent drafted and developed arms. Thats a fair critique. (Though to be fair, some on here clamoring for trades, also dug on Vinnie Pestano...)

But unless someone can pinpoint that the SPs (and middleton) have been used dangerously, making their arms blow up (twice for Richards), then this isnt truly the fault of the org. Anymore than Skaggs dying is.

It holds water with me and I wish people understood or at least accepted that as a reason for why we are where we are.  The toughest thing about it is that it's impossible to account for.  It also takes away trade currency.  The return for Richards last year at the deadline had he been healthy would have been very good.  Not quite Greinke like, but better than Stroman.  A couple from a team's top 10 for sure.  

But what legit free agent is gonna sign with the halos in case Heaney can't stay healthy?  Maybe you get a project or two, but that's about it.  

There's been a major impact in that regard whether people want to acknowledge it or not.  

Just now, NrM said:

bro you are like the most liked person on this board. You get like 10 likes per post. Why would one random troll face bother you. I gave you that troll reaction because you gave it to me the other day and I'm vengeful. 

I'll remove it though

keep it there 'bro'.  I don't care.