• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

We're all forgetting about Ohtani

tdawg87

I suppose it's easy to forget that Ohtani is not only an elite hitter, but an elite pitcher as well. Him missing all of 2019 on the mound was (and is) disconcerting, but by all indications he should be ready to go by ST next year. Remember, this guy is seen as a front line starter. Yes, he just had TJ surgery, and yes AO, he has pitched "50 innings in 2 years". But if he comes back healthy there's no reason he can't pick up where he left off.

Think of it like this: The best Japanese pitcher just became a free agent and the Angels signed him this off-season. They also have plenty of money to bring in Gerrit Cole, who apparently wants to pitch here.

Do we still need another pitcher? Yes. Yes we do. But let's not forget we are getting Ohtani back. And let's also not have some arbitrary number of innings in our head that Ohtani is going to pitch (looks at AO, again). The Angels will be cautious with him for sure, but they aren't just going to cut him off in August if he's pitching well and the Angels are in the playoff hunt.

Getting Ohtani back alone is a huge boost to the pitching staff. Getting Cole AND another middle of the rotation starter is icing on the cake. 

Someone something healthy .... it's like we are traded for an elite pitcher.... something something... I have heard this from the organization before... But you are right getting Ohtani back is going to be huge for the starting rotation. Who knows how many innings he will be allowed to pitch, none of our pitchers are pitching very many anyway, so he should be fine. 

20 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I suppose it's easy to forget that Ohtani is not only an elite hitter, but an elite pitcher as well. Him missing all of 2019 on the mound was (and is) disconcerting, but by all indications he should be ready to go by ST next year. Remember, this guy is seen as a front line starter. Yes, he just had TJ surgery, and yes AO, he has pitched "50 innings in 2 years". But if he comes back healthy there's no reason he can't pick up where he left off.

Think of it like this: The best Japanese pitcher just became a free agent and the Angels signed him this off-season. They also have plenty of money to bring in Gerrit Cole, who apparently wants to pitch here.

Do we still need another pitcher? Yes. Yes we do. But let's not forget we are getting Ohtani back. And let's also not have some arbitrary number of innings in our head that Ohtani is going to pitch (looks at AO, again). The Angels will be cautious with him for sure, but they aren't just going to cut him off in August if he's pitching well and the Angels are in the playoff hunt.

Getting Ohtani back alone is a huge boost to the pitching staff. Getting Cole AND another middle of the rotation starter is icing on the cake. 

I would suspect he'll be on an innings count. Basically, expect to see him pulled a bit earlier in most outings than we would like. 

I think 120 innings isn't unlikely. If he pitches over 150 innings next year, I'll be shocked.

2 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

I would suspect he'll be on an innings count. Basically, expect to see him pulled a bit earlier in most outings than we would like. 

I think 120 innings isn't unlikely. If he pitches over 150 innings next year, I'll be shocked.

An innings limit would be understandable. I don't think it will be that strict, however. Wainwright and Strasburg come to mind.

35 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Where is the confirmation that Cole wants to play here?

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

No one is forgetting, but until we see him put in 150+ innings were just not putting the cart before the horse and well need someone to take the rest of them . 

That's fair, but we could have said that when we signed him. 

Until we hear otherwise, I am absolutely counting on 150 innings from Ohtani in 2020.

I think an optimistic outlook is that he starts 20-25 games, 100-125 IP. I don't see more than that, at least not next year. We can hope that long-term we'll get 25/150.

Anyhow, the basic point is a good one. Ohtani was a solid #3 in his first 50 IP. No reason to think he can't be a #2-3 next year, and a #1-2 beyond that. Couple that with a 350 PA of 150 wRC+ and you've got a 7 WAR two-way player.

1 minute ago, tdawg87 said:

That's fair, but we could have said that when we signed him. 

Until we hear otherwise, I am absolutely counting on 150 innings from Ohtani in 2020.

im expecting it myself, all im saying is that until we see it we better have a plan B

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

cool, you're the expert until we hear from somebody who knows what they are talking about.

Excited to get him back on the mound. 

His first start at Angel Stadium last year was amazing.  He was easily a good #2 last year, wasn't he?

It'll be great when the Angels get to the playoffs and he is the DH the day before and after he is the starting pitcher (I bet that may happen a little if they are in a race in September).  

It'll be nice when he heats up with the bat  again this year.  He's due for a hot streak.

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

Excited to get him back on the mound. 

His first start at Angel Stadium last year was amazing.  He was easily a good #2 last year, wasn't he?

It'll be great when the Angels get to the playoffs and he is the DH the day before and after he is the starting pitcher (I bet that may happen a little if they are in a race in September).  

It'll be nice when he heats up with the bat  again this year.  He's due for a hot streak.

Plus all the dick balloons the Japanese fans will bring are way cooler than thubdersticks

zozo03.jpg