• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Thaiss

Taylor

I really do think Thaiss will end up hitting more in the major leagues than he did in the minor leagues.  The big question all long has been, "Can he hit for enough power?"  And I think we're seeing right now that answer is yes.  He's not a power hitter, but he's definitely showing enough strength and launch angle to hit the ball out of the ball park if he gets a pitch on the inner half.  He's always been more of a whole field hitter, so we should begin to see more of that as he gets more comfortable. 

The other big question with Thaiss is defensively, can he play 3B?  And He's shown to be a very quick learner over there.  His arm is better than I saw in AAA and his reactions are just as fast.  He's already developed into pretty good defensive 1B as well. 

My stance on Thaiss really hasn't changed much.  I think he's going to be a solid starting 1B/3B in the major leagues.  Not an all-star, but a good player nonetheless. 

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

I really do think Thaiss will end up hitting more in the major leagues than he did in the minor leagues.  The big question all long has been, "Can he hit for enough power?"  And I think we're seeing right now that answer is yes.  He's not a power hitter, but he's definitely showing enough strength and launch angle to hit the ball out of the ball park if he gets a pitch on the inner half.  He's always been more of a whole field hitter, so we should begin to see more of that as he gets more comfortable. 

The other big question with Thaiss is defensively, can he play 3B?  And He's shown to be a very quick learner over there.  His arm is better than I saw in AAA and his reactions are just as fast.  He's already developed into pretty good defensive 1B as well. 

My stance on Thaiss really hasn't changed much.  I think he's going to be a solid starting 1B/3B in the major leagues.  Not an all-star, but a good player nonetheless. 

Agreed on all of this. He just needed to prove that he *can* turn a mistake into a run so that pitchers don't hammer him inside with fastballs. He's got a good enough eye and approach to handle anything else.

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Last five games: .471/.500/.1.176

This is more telling, to me. 

• Thaiss' first 6 games: .143/.217/.333/.551, 2 XBH, 2 walks, 12 strikeouts in 23 PA
  • Thaiss' last 8 games: .348/.400/.870/1.270, 4 HR, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts in 25 PA

Small sample size, but indicates he's either getting more comfortable and getting some jitters out of the way, or is making adjustments to big league pitching quickly. 
Could also simply be because he's faced shittier pitching. But encouraging nonetheless.

11 hours ago, Fish Oil said:

If this is the real Matt Thaiss that we have been seeing the past couple of weeks, we've got our 3B of the future.

Way too early. Wait for 2 months and see how the league has adjusted to him. If he passes this, then he is for real. Fingers crossed.

5 minutes ago, nate said:

A corner IF with 6 controllable years?  This is exactly what got the Angels into trouble before.

Not really.  They got in trouble for having zero mlb caliber players with 6 years of control.  They were paying free agent prices for league average or worse production.  They have Rengifo and Fletcher that can both play 3rd base.  They have Ward who can play some third and some first.  What they don’t have is anyone that resembles a #2,3,4 starter, and even when they do they need more depth there.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Not really.  They got in trouble for having zero mlb caliber players with 6 years of control.  They were paying free agent prices for league average or worse production.  They have Rengifo and Fletcher that can both play 3rd base.  They have Ward who can play some third and some first.  What they don’t have is anyone that resembles a #2,3,4 starter, and even when they do they need more depth there.  

Simba has one more year on his contract, that leaves Rengifo playing SS and Fletcher at 2b since TLS is a FA at the end of the year.  Also, Rengifo has hardly been anything other than average, too early to anoint him the future.  Ward also has not done anything in his limited time.  Also Albert is no shoe in to be able to continue to play 1b.

Angels definitely need pitchers, but that doesn't mean giving up someone like Thaiss.