• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Olney: Teams interested in Goodwin

mmc

3 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Selling Upton right now would be incredibly stupid. 

Trying to trade Upton right now would be close to impossible without eating some of his salary. His value has gone down since we acquired him. 

Edited by Calzone 2

24 minutes ago, Calzone 2 said:

Trying to trade Upton right now would be close to impossible without eating some of his salary. His value has gone down since we acquired him. 

You're not wrong.

My basic point is that everyone gets caught up in how a player is playing right now and loses context. 

Calhoun sucked last year, this year he's decent and had some big games against LA so people want to sign him to an extension.

Upton's been injured and clearly is still not quite where he should be and people want him gone.

Goodwin has a career year and people think he's better than Goodwin. 

It's crazy. People need to learn not to overreact so much to what's going on right now and learn to see the big picture just a bit.

7 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

You're not wrong.

My basic point is that everyone gets caught up in how a player is playing right now and loses context. 

Calhoun sucked last year, this year he's decent and had some big games against LA so people want to sign him to an extension.

Upton's been injured and clearly is still not quite where he should be and people want him gone.

Goodwin has a career year and people think he's better than Goodwin. 

It's crazy. People need to learn not to overreact so much to what's going on right now and learn to see the big picture just a bit.

Upton has been pretty ass since we signed him. His ability to hit with runners on in any form is absolutely atrocious and considering that's his main job, he's failing. Still you would expect him to return to his form 2 years ago before Goodwin shows he's this good consistently. At the moment Goodwin should be playing but it doesn't entirely matter anymore. 

4 minutes ago, IIIII said:

Upton has been pretty ass since we signed him. His ability to hit with runners on in any form is absolutely atrocious and considering that's his main job, he's failing. Still you would expect him to return to his form 2 years ago before Goodwin shows he's this good consistently. At the moment Goodwin should be playing but it doesn't entirely matter anymore. 

I get what you’re saying about how he’s performed with RISP, he’s been bad.  To say he’s been Ass an Angel is silly and inaccurate. He’s just been bad with RISP. Still put up a 3.5 WAR last year. 

I really, really don't get the narrative. 

The facts speak otherwise. He has a 118 OPS+ as an Angel. His career OPS+ is 120. Outside of this year, which he has admittedly been poor since coming back, he's been exactly as advertised.

Would you guys prefer Nava or Matt Joyce? Or any of the other crap the Angels have thrown out in LF since GA left? You have to go all the way back to 2003(!!!) to find better production from the position than what Upton did last year.

People will say that Goodwin is the better option. Goodwin has certainly had a great year, but he has a .360 BABIP, much higher than his career average of .333. Upton's is .279, much lower than his career average of .329. Who is more likely to be better going forward? I'll take the guy who isn't having a career year enhanced by a career high BABIP. 

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

The facts speak otherwise. He has a 118 OPS+ as an Angel. His career OPS+ is 120. Outside of this year, which he has admittedly been poor since coming back, he's been exactly as advertised.

Would you guys prefer Nava or Matt Joyce? Or any of the other crap the Angels have thrown out in LF since GA left? You have to go all the way back to 2003(!!!) to find better production from the position than what Upton did last year.

People will say that Goodwin is the better option. Goodwin has certainly had a great year, but he has a .360 BABIP, much higher than his career average of .333. Upton's is .279, much lower than his career average of .329. Who is more likely to be better going forward? I'll take the guy who isn't having a career year enhanced by a career high BABIP. 

its just the usual AW crowd being the AW crowd.  WEre so spoiled by Trout that we literally think everyone else sucks. 

Just now, floplag said:

its just the usual AW crowd being the AW crowd.  WEre so spoiled by Trout that we literally think everyone else sucks. 

Yeah that's it, pretty much. I've been saying that for years here. Either you're Trout, or you suck. 

Upton is fine. I don't care about his contract, that's spent money at this point. 

37 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah that's it, pretty much. I've been saying that for years here. Either you're Trout, or you suck. 

Upton is fine. I don't care about his contract, that's spent money at this point. 

All I know is that before him the position was a trainwreck, now we have a 3_WAR guy there. by any logic thats a good thing.  People nitpick over certain stats as ways to justify the days outrage, nothing more.  Were an awful negative bunch most of the time unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

All I know is that before him the position was a trainwreck, now we have a 3_WAR guy there. by any logic thats a good thing.  People nitpick over certain stats as ways to justify the days outrage, nothing more.  Were an awful negative bunch most of the time unfortunately. 

Indeed we are. 

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

There’s a group of 5 or so truly negative people on here.  Maybe that number is closer to 10, but yea, they are awfully negative and seem to love our failures.  

i mean i get the passion, were all that, and we all have up days and down days but we seem to take pleasure in the negative rather than offering up quality discussion in recent times... but that also seems an  accurate observation of the world around is in that time period as well so, maybe it isnt just us, lol   Then again perhaps were all just masochists, which being fans of this team would support :)

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There’s a group of 5 or so truly negative people on here.  Maybe that number is closer to 10, but yea, they are awfully negative and seem to love our failures.  

There’s also a group of 5-10 that have a superiority complex. These are people that express negativity towards other posters rather than watch what’s happening on the field. These people are closet negative because they really are disappointed in the team but choose to point their finger at the Dodgers because they haven’t won a World Series since 1988 as if that’s an equivalent fail to not qualifying for the second wild card. But if it makes them feel better about the Angels performance then good for them. Bless their heart. 

Edited by Calzone 2

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

There's a certain type of person who'll moan about how Trout is overpaid and in decline and is a boat anchor on the team - and someday, they'll be "right" and can gloat about how they "called it."

That's really committing to a narrative but just wait ...

I'm just glad running a baseball team isn't a democracy - can you imagine the team we'd have if the decisions were left to *us*??  

Sort of the baseball equivalent of this:

homer2.jpg

23 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

Anyone that wants someone other than Upton moving forward (maybe some prefer Calhoun over him which I could kinda see) is hating just to hate. Goodwin might be better now but he isn't long term unless this is suddenly his actual form and not a one year thing.