• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Olney: Teams interested in Goodwin

mmc

Goodwin started the year impossibly hot,  cooled off, and then over the last two months, 5/29 to 7/28, has managed to right the ship with an .844 OPS in that time.

He's not eligible for FA until after the '22 season and has been valuable by just about every measure this year...makes perfect sense to shop him around and see if they could find perhaps some legit AA/AAA relief arms to slot in ahead of Jewell, Bard, etc.

Why not sell Calhoun and keep Goodwin ? Im ok with trading him if its a good return but I’d much rather keep him around.  Not having guys like Goodwin has been a substantial part of the Angels problem.  You need good depth guys that are cheap.  He’s an important player to have. 

I have to imagine that a team interested in Goodwin would also be interested in Calhoun.  Even if he’s worth less. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

Why not sell Calhoun and keep Goodwin ? Im ok with trading him if it a good return but I’d much rather keep him around.  Not having guys like Goodwin has been a substantial part of the Angels problem.  You need good depth guys that are cheap.  He’s an important player to have. 

I have to imagine that a team interested in Goodwin would also be interested in Calhoun.  Even if he’s worth less. 

Goodwin has three years of control so it provides many more options than Kole as far as suitors. 

Just now, DMVol said:

Not sure he’d bring a good enough prospect back to make a trade worthwhile...he’s kind of like Calhoun for me, probably worth more to us ...only trade him for a good return....if you get offered middling prospects, keep him.

I mentioned this is the Official Trade Deadline thread, but there's potential the Angels can trade off a couple of Bour, Cahill, Goodwin, and any of their catchers. All have a certain skill desired by contending teams. 
All have actually performed well recently too. 

• Justin Bour, who's hit .299/.417/.694/1.111 in AAA/MLB since his initial demotion, swatting 14 HR in 40 games, drawing 28 walks against 29 strikeouts. 
  • Depending on how the Angels pitching buying goes, Trevor Cahill, who has a 3.86 ERA since his bullpen demotion, striking out 16 in 18.2 IP....
  • Almost certainly, Kevan Smith or Dustin Garneau are being shopped, as both are out of options and one will be cut loose when Lucroy returns. Teams always need catching for the stretch run, and our recent acquisitions of Thole and Bemboom hint that Eppler coupld be prepping to deal one. 
  • For that same reason, Jonathan Lucroy could also be getting some calls.
  • ...or even Brian Goodwin, who cooled in May, has righted the ship, hitting .293/.333/.511/.844 over his last 99 plate appearances, ranging from 5/29 to 7/28.

No, the Angels probably won't get much of anything too valuable in return, but they might be able to shed salary, especially in the cases of Cahill, Bour, and Lucroy, which could make it easier for them to take back salary for a SP in a trade, such as Greinke. 
And maybe they get middling prospects - Eppler has done a good job scouting out reclamation prospects. That depth could make it easier to deal from A/A+ arms or AAA bats.

2 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Why not sell Calhoun and keep Goodwin ? Im ok with trading him if it a good return but I’d much rather keep him around.  Not having guys like Goodwin has been a substantial part of the Angels problem.  You need good depth guys that are cheap.  He’s an important player to have. 

Not necessarily. Money and control plays a big factor.

20 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Goodwin has three years of control so it provides many more options than Kole as far as suitors. 

I get that but if the Angels aren’t sellers why would you trade Goodwin ? The Angels need him.  And I mean really what are they going to get ? I don’t see a worthwhile trade.  Of course that doesn’t be mean that one isn’t possible.  To me it abundantly makes sense to trade Calhoun.  Goodwin significantly less so.  

Like I said, im not completely against it, but unless my socks are being blown off it doesn’t really make sense.  I also, don’t really seem him being that important to like the Tigers or the Rangers in terms of a trade.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

9 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Losing him would destroy this nice diversity thing they got going on 

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Yup. Goodwin's making pennies and not a FA until after 2022.

Right which is exactly why the Angels should keep him if they’re not selling.  Honestly what are they going to get ? The Angels need Goodwin to make Calhoun expendable.  The Angels do not need to pay Calhoun 14 million next year.  

I don’t know this seems like a no brainer to me.  No idea why you’d trade Goodwin.  

Lol I’m not debating that he could bring more then Calhoun.  He probably could.  But that doesn’t mean he’ll bring a worthwhile return himself.  What are we thinking he’s going to get for us ? 

The Angels have a need for Brian Goodwin.  You’re losing more paying Calhoun when you don’t have to or depending on Michael Hermosillo if they don’t pay Calhoun.  

Are we sellers or are we buyers ? Goodwin is a guy you get rid of if you don’t think you’re going to be competing.  I thought most of us agree that the Angels should be competing now and especially next year and beyond. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

The Angels have a metric shit ton of pitchers in the lower minors.  We spent most of our draft picks the last 2 years getting those guys.  Why should we trade a solid cheap major leaguer for more of those guys ? 

Unless Goodwin is getting is a 50 grade or better near MLB or MLB pitching prospect in return (he won’t) it doesn’t make sense to trade him.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

You know how everyone here wants the Angels to decline Calhoun's option and hand RF over to Adell in 2020? 

This would be the best way to start that process. Trade Goodwin, promote Adell, get him on the job experience in August and September.

Decide on Kole after the WS. Clearer idea then if Adell is ready if we've seen him for two months.

Edited by totdprods

22 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I mentioned this is the Official Trade Deadline thread, but there's potential the Angels can trade off a couple of Bour, Cahill, Goodwin, and any of their catchers. All have a certain skill desired by contending teams. 
All have actually performed well recently too. 

• Justin Bour, who's hit .299/.417/.694/1.111 in AAA/MLB since his initial demotion, swatting 14 HR in 40 games, drawing 28 walks against 29 strikeouts. 
  • Depending on how the Angels pitching buying goes, Trevor Cahill, who has a 3.86 ERA since his bullpen demotion, striking out 16 in 18.2 IP....
  • Almost certainly, Kevan Smith or Dustin Garneau are being shopped, as both are out of options and one will be cut loose when Lucroy returns. Teams always need catching for the stretch run, and our recent acquisitions of Thole and Bemboom hint that Eppler coupld be prepping to deal one. 
  • For that same reason, Jonathan Lucroy could also be getting some calls.
  • ...or even Brian Goodwin, who cooled in May, has righted the ship, hitting .293/.333/.511/.844 over his last 99 plate appearances, ranging from 5/29 to 7/28.

No, the Angels probably won't get much of anything too valuable in return, but they might be able to shed salary, especially in the cases of Cahill, Bour, and Lucroy, which could make it easier for them to take back salary for a SP in a trade, such as Greinke. 
And maybe they get middling prospects - Eppler has done a good job scouting out reclamation prospects. That depth could make it easier to deal from A/A+ arms or AAA bats.

Trading Goodwin wouldn’t shed any salary, he’s not even to arbitration yet...Bour  and Lucroy a little, if anybody would take them....Cahill would be a bigger dump if you could get somebody to eat his salary.....but I don’t think he’s had enough time to establish (or re-establish) himself as a reliever for that....I’d just keep him...