• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Ross Perot

He was a billionaire who bragged about having a $6 haircut.

Loved all his charts whenever he was on Larry King.

If he hadn’t dropped out of the race for a few weeks that summer, November would have been immensely more interesting.

3 hours ago, floplag said:

I wish he had gotten more traction, that a third party was more viable, we are in such dire need of another option today.  Perhaps he just wasnt the person people could get behind. 

He had plenty of traction and was actually leading the polls in CA and Texas 6 months before the election.  Between the opposing campaigns going after him, him not listening to his advisers as far as how to react and some missteps (referring to the NAACP as "you people" during a speech) a few months after that he withdrew from the race.  Supposedly that was done to get the press and negative attention off of him then he re-entered the race about a month before the election and it was too late.  For a time he was a viable third party candidate but rather than face and deal with the criticism which politicians have to be able to do he tucked his tail between his legs and ran away.  All anyone remembers is him not doing well in the general election which probably set hopes for any legitimate 3rd party candidate back years.

Without looking it up, I remember that he was furious at how the press went after his family when his daughter got married early in the summer of 92. Pissed off enough that he withdrew because he didn’t want to put his family through anymore of that.

For all his faults.  He did give it a go as a third party candidate.  

But makes you wonder, if he ran today, with all the advanced political shenanigans.  If he would have done better?  When he ran, internet was just starting.  Really TV was the only way to get exposure, and if I remember right, he bought like 30 minutes of TV time on some network station?  And if I remember right, that really did him in as being all charts and very rigid sounding.  If he got the pro consultants of today, and killed that tv time, would he have done better?

No. He was suffering mostly from nobody knowing who he was and what platform he was running on. The charts is what did him in. Not that they were not informative but his audience were waiting for the Carol Burnett show and Tim Conway to portray Ross Perot with Harvey Korman as George Bush and Lyle Wagoner as Bill Clinton. Charts are not good comedy. Unless Tim Conway is fumbling with them. 

10 hours ago, RallyMo said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a VP choice that hasn't been lampooned by SNL vigorously.

I don't watch SNL but did they really lampoon Biden? It seems like a Biden parody wouldn't be funny and probably just boring. The Cheney ones were great

Legend has it that when major meetings at his home took place, including when first starting up Perot Systems some 30 years ago, the breakfasts consisted of cereal and juice.   He was a no nonsense guy.

He was no Stephen Schwartzman, who once had lobster brunches for at least 100 people twice per weekend and threw himself a many millions in expenses birthday party that included $1 million to Rod Stewart to perform.    Talk about excess.    This is the same guy that said he would bury his competition.