• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Tigers 5/9/2019 ( Fletcher LF) 2K Version

I love what fletcher is bringing to the table, he's so valuable to this team. Sucks that Fletcher/Goodwin/La Stella are going to lose playing time when Upton returns. They have all been fantastic. 

I was watching the Tigers feed when they interviewed that fan and he seemed like such a weirdo/dbag. "What do you think about catching this ball" "Honestly i'm just here to drink beer and hang out with my friends so I don't know". Didn't seem like he knew jack shit about baseball or cared which makes his decision to keep the ball even worse. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

Yep - but, that's also the point of what the 'opener' strategy is supposed to do. Instead of a SP getting bogged down with 20-25 pitches and facing 3-5 hitters in the first, a reliever gets them through that opening salvo and the SP gets a better shot at getting through innings 2 and 3 with more ease. 

I wasn't too keen on the 'opener' strategy from a far last year, but my early impressions this year are that it makes a whole lot of sense, especially with teams front-loading their best bats more to #1-#2 instead of #3-#4 like the 90's and 00's. If the opener catches on I'm sure we'll see some teams adjust again.

the result to date have been positive, i concede that.   Im very concerned about the implications of it in terms of innings worked in that if that pitcher doesnt get into the 7th-ish youre virtually guaranteeing using at least 4 pitchers that day.   I feel like the dark side of this hasnt yet been shown, perhaps it never will. 

2 hours ago, krAbs said:

Well, that's kind of the point of an opener, though - it is designed to minimize the amount of times you face the top of an order, and therefore to theoretically let a starter go longer. I think the thinking is kinda like...a typical reliever will be called on to get 3 outs. Doesn't really matter if its the 1-3 or the 7-9, his job is often just to get 3 (though, that is changing). The starter's job is different though; its more to get as far through the order as they can, while limiting the damage as much as possible. So, the idea is that we try to make it so when our starter is hitting 80+ pitches and running out of gas, he is pitching to like the 5th or 6th guy in the order instead of the 1st or 2nd, and so maybe he can get an out or two more. Basically, what happens is we shift a time through the top of the order from the starter to the reliever, and use the relievers bullets on the best hitters instead of wasting them on the worst hitters (and then have the starter use his worst bullets on the worst hitters, instead of watching them get squared up by the best hitters).

For sure though, it is a limited sample size. I think its worth looking to see if the increase in length they are getting out of pena keeps going, though. That's kinda the first thing I noticed here.

of course, but if hes facing lesser competition in the bottom of the lineup versus the top the numbers are a bit artificial i would think.  
It is what it is and so far its worked so... go with it i guess