• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Why is there so much secrecy...

17 minutes ago, Torridd said:

...with Ohtani's return? On the official site, it states he MAY return tonight and Eppler says the same thing. On the other hand,  the media states he'll return tonight. 

Because the team would have a problem is they say he 100 percent will return and something happens.

Players get sick and get hurt working out or walking down the stairs. It happens.

Until he’s in the clubhouse and ready to go, there’s no reason to guarantee he’s playing  

Also, he’s on the IL. He can’t be on the IL if he’s able to play and he can’t be on the active roster unless someone else comes off. So until they are ready to make the roster move, they need to be careful what they say  

The media is only saying he will “likely” or “probably” return also. 

It’s all just semantics so I wouldn’t worry about it. 

Edited by Jeff Fletcher

50 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Because the team would have a problem is they say he 100 percent will return and something happens.

Players get sick and get hurt working out or walking down the stairs. It happens.

Until he’s in the clubhouse and ready to go, there’s no reason to guarantee he’s playing  

Also, he’s on the IL. He can’t be on the IL if he’s able to play and he can’t be on the active roster unless someone else comes off. So until they are ready to make the roster move, they need to be careful what they say  

The media is only saying he will “likely” or “probably” return also. 

It’s all just semantics so I wouldn’t worry about it. 

But Jeff that wouldn't be their fault. Players return from the IL all the time, including superstars. What are the ramifications if they said he was going to return today and he caught a head cold?

I was once told that if a team announces, say, that a player is coming up and then that player gets hurt or somehow can’t play, the union could file a grievance if he’s not called up because they said he was going to be. That seems pretty dumb to me but that’s what someone in the Angels front office told me. That’s what I was actually pretty surprised they announced Canning as early as they did. 

Anyway, in this case it was all just silly for people to be worried about this semantic thing. I tried to explain in my reporting that Ohtani was going to play, because they wouldn’t really send him to Detroit unless he could play. 

I can’t think of a player who had been on IL/DL ever ever ever joining the big league team on the road if he wasn’t about to be activated. 

It's funny that they announced yesterday that Ohtani would join the team in Detroit.  Then, today, announced he was activated.   Other moves were being made, I guess, but nothing would have stopped Ohtani from playing today that wouldn't have stopped anyone else.

The Canning announcement suprised me because it was so far in advance.  

Difference is one dealt with a guy on the IL...  that they badly wanted to promote was coming back.

Edited by ScottT

16 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I was once told that if a team announces, say, that a player is coming up and then that player gets hurt or somehow can’t play, the union could file a grievance if he’s not called up because they said he was going to be. That seems pretty dumb to me but that’s what someone in the Angels front office told me. That’s what I was actually pretty surprised they announced Canning as early as they did. 

Anyway, in this case it was all just silly for people to be worried about this semantic thing. I tried to explain in my reporting that Ohtani was going to play, because they wouldn’t really send him to Detroit unless he could play. 

I can’t think of a player who had been on IL/DL ever ever ever joining the big league team on the road if he wasn’t about to be activated. 

probably could be related to service time/pay.  If a guy gets injured after being called up it's more expensive than if he goes on a minor league IL.