• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AW's golf scores

no one on the main board responded to my question about an aw.com golf tournament, so i'll ask it here - would you like to have one on friday, july 26?

i'm willing to organize it. thinking that diamond bar would be a good place to hold it.

any interest?

I've got two weddings, two bachelor parties and a cruise this summer. I don't think this date works. I could probably make a tournament work in late August. I'm probably limited to Wednesday golf this summer

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 8:43 AM, Tank said:

I’ve been wanting to hit a driver with a smaller head. I struggle with these gigantic heads. So on a whim I checked eBay for a TaylorMade bubble burner driver. It’s an older club but the technology was good and it’s a smaller head. Found several but most were in rough shape. Finally found one that looked clean. Guy was asking $18.50 OBO.Offered him $15 and he accepted. It’ll be here Friday.

Not bad for a club that was $300 brand new. Hope it’s a club I like.

it arrived yesterday and i went to the driving range after school. hits like i hoped it would. long and straight. now if i can only hit it that way when it counts, it'll be worth the $15.

visually, it's nice not to have something the size of a cinder block at the end of the shaft.

and naturally, about five people away from me on the range was a group of 3 high school kids (maybe 15 yrs old) just hitting bomb after bomb with M5s and Epic drivers. just watching them hit their long irons was humiliatingly beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

Going to play a tourney tomorrow with only a 7 iron, putt with it also.  Will be very interesting and doubt I post my score here.  I hit the range and tried punching 50 yard shots and they ended up some of the best 100 yard shots I have ever hit. I was choking down on the club below the grip for chips and just trying to use it with a putt stroke and that didn't fare much better. 

It is about 5700 yards so probably playing the up lady tees, the par 3's are 110 -120 yards so that will be the interesting part is how to feather in a 110 yard 7 iron. 

46 minutes ago, Crampknees said:

Going to play a tourney tomorrow with only a 7 iron, putt with it also.  Will be very interesting and doubt I post my score here.  I hit the range and tried punching 50 yard shots and they ended up some of the best 100 yard shots I have ever hit. I was choking down on the club below the grip for chips and just trying to use it with a putt stroke and that didn't fare much better. 

It is about 5700 yards so probably playing the up lady tees, the par 3's are 110 -120 yards so that will be the interesting part is how to feather in a 110 yard 7 iron. 

in this tournament, players are only allowed to hit a 7 iron or did adam jack your clubs like he did mine?

could make for a lot of laughs. 

• 1 month later...

played a little executive course in sylmar this afternoon, el Cariso. have played there many times over the years as it's a good place to work on your game. shot 43-40 for an 83 on a course with zero par 5s. hit my irons well, but putting was pretty bad.Three pars on the back 9. I used my burner bubble driver on a course for the first time and was very pleased with the results.

was paired with three old retirees. the oldest guy was 90 and he played like he was at least 20 years younger than that. typical old guy - hit it straight and right down the middle most of the time. he'd probably get chewed up on a regular sized course, but this was a good place for him. he had several pars and one birdie. he putted like an SOB, too.

on the way home I checked out Angeles National Golf Club in Sunland. It's $100 to play but it's one of those very fancy courses you'd find at a resort, plus it's a Jack Nicklaus design. Fortunately they have a senior rate of $65 any day any time. Will have to take them up on that some time. Looks like a nice place.

• 1 month later...

I started taking golf a little bit more seriously and keeping track of my scores/handicap on a website. Don't get me wrong, I still get trashed on the course, but it's nice to actually keep track of my progress now. My last 6 golf scores since keeping official track of my handicap:

7/7/19 - Oak Quarry Golf Course: 87

7/18/19 - Westridge Golf Course - 86

7/29/2019 - Dos Lagos Golf Course - 78

8/8/2019 - Coyote Hills Golf Course - 93 (Yikes)

8/12/2019 - Riverwalk Golf Course - 90

8/17/2019 - Goose Greek Golf Course - 83

On 10/18/2018 at 1:40 PM, Fireball & friends said:

I feel your pain.  Luckily I snapped out of it a little so there is always hope next time.  Lately if I get on in regulation I four putt but get on in 5 I can drain it from anywhere....same score. 

Isn't it freakin' crazy how different your scores can be from one day to the next? That's golf....you think you figured something out one day and they next time out you get humbled.

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Isn't it freakin' crazy how different your scores can be from one day to the next? That's golf....you think you figured something out one day and they next time out you get humbled.

Practice or playing all the time in this game really matters.  Shit I hate the range.  I have been only playing lately in a Weds afternoon 9 hole skins scramble.  We shot 8 under and still tied so it is carried over to $1400 next week. I fire up for that because I am old and the D player but make the chips and putts.   

On 8/21/2019 at 3:01 PM, hangin n wangin said:

I started taking golf a little bit more seriously and keeping track of my scores/handicap on a website. Don't get me wrong, I still get trashed on the course, but it's nice to actually keep track of my progress now. My last 6 golf scores since keeping official track of my handicap:

7/7/19 - Oak Quarry Golf Course: 87

7/18/19 - Westridge Golf Course - 86

7/29/2019 - Dos Lagos Golf Course - 78

8/8/2019 - Coyote Hills Golf Course - 93 (Yikes)

8/12/2019 - Riverwalk Golf Course - 90

8/17/2019 - Goose Greek Golf Course - 83

Are you putting in the course slop rating along with your score so you end up with an accurate handicap?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Last Sunday I played in a tournament at Industry Hills. Our foursome shot an 80 and made only one birdie. Last time I played in this tournament we shot a 65 (more than 20 years ago and with a different foursome). A long course used for US Open qualifying and a real tough challenge, especially for a group where I was the best golfer.