• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AW's golf scores

3 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

What courses do you normally play @Tank?? Any recommendations??

I'm kind of cheap so I don't frequently spring for high end places (plus my game isn't in good enough shape to really enjoy them). I usually play El Cariso in Sylmar, Hansen Dam, or Brookside in Pasadena. Will occasionally play De Bell in Burbank, too. My local course is Scholl Canyon in Glendale, but golfers there don't fix their ball marks or rake the bunkers, and it's a pain in the butt to fix other golfers' stuff. It's a decent executive course that's good for working on your short game. Has a couple of real high risk holes, too. Bring extra balls with you if you decide to play it.

Found a wonderful course in Diamond Bar (Diamond Bar Golf Course) earlier this year and plan to play there again around Thanksgiving with a buddy of mine.

Also like to play Rancho Park near downtown LA. It's a county course like Hansen Dam, but I haven't played there in over 20 years. They used to play the old LA Open there. There's a plaque on one hole commemorating a disastrous hole by Arnold Palmer once during a tournament.

Probably my favorite place to play is Los Verdes Golf Course in Palos Verdes. The views on several holes are comparable to Pebble Beach. It's an absolute gem in this area. It's worth the price, easily.

Where do you normally play?

@TankNice man. I haven’t played any of those courses so I will definitely have to check them out and see if I can get on a few of them at least. 

I’m right there with you on not liking to spend too much to golf. I usually always try to get the twighlight rate since you can get on for a lot cheaper. I just played the pechanga course and that place goes for like 150 on the weekends in the morning. I got on for 103 with a deal on Golfnow.com and even that was a lot more that I ever pay to play golf. 

my main courses are fullerton, la Mirada, westridge (la Habra), coyote hills (Fullerton), dos lagos (corona), Indian hills (riverside), and glen Ivey (corona). Then I will play random courses here and there. I have played diamond bar and it’s a pretty nice course. Reminds me a bit of la Mirada. 

how much is the los Verdes golf course?

7 minutes ago, Tank said:

wow, prices are reasonable. looking at a Sunday tee time at 1:30 for only $47. looks like it's only $37 during the week.

if you decide to go on a Sunday, hit me up and I'll go with you if I can.

Yep. Twighlight is where it’s at if you can find a way to do it. But everyone has different schedules and priorities. And for sure man. Will do!

• 4 weeks later...

We have a nice 9 hole course here in my town.

http://www.haleslocationgolf.com/

Haven't played in a long time (being obese and having agoraphobia doesn't help) but I did shoot about 12 above par here once. My wedge and iron game is actually pretty good for a beginner, but I can't putt or drive worth a shit. 

In my career I've had 2 birdies and 4 pars. I don't care if I completely shank the ball in the wrong direction but nothing is more frustrating than one of those 50 yard "got more of the tee" drives. I do that way too often and I don't know why. I stuck to using irons exclusively because I just could not drive the ball.

Also a buddy and I got kicked out of this course once for crashing our cart into a tree. 

Edited by tdawg87

38 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Also a buddy and I got kicked out of this course once for crashing our cart into a tree. 

I would imagine many of us have a similar story.

not me, because I'm the most responsible person you'll ever meet, but I'm sure others do.

so we played mile square park, the classic course, on Monday. shot a 98 mostly because I don't have a decent driver. for the last three holes, one of the guys I played with let me hit his tailor-made driver (I forget which one it was, but I think it was the M3 or M4). wow, what a club. felt smooth and like I was hitting it right on the sweet spot. liked it enough that I've told my wife I want one for my bday in February. We'll look to find a used one since brand new runs 5 bills, and that's not doable. I've been checking Facebook marketplace and am seeing them regularly under $300, so we can probably make that work. I need to hit up golf galaxy and do their swing evaluation/custom fitting - they can match me to the right club. they also sell used clubs on consignment, so we'll take a look there as well.

it's hard to post a decent score when your drive only goes 150 yards and you have to hit your 3 wood for your second shot on most par 4s.

and @Adam, I liked the classic course. it reminded me very much of a course I played as a kid in Torrance/redondo beach called alondra park. I liked it because I didn't have to be a mountain climber to get on and off each tee box and green. I wouldn't have minded a few dogleg holes - everything was pretty much straight away. the greens were in incredible shape and the fairways were nice and healthy. I wish it was cheaper than $54.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2019 at 8:49 PM, tdawg87 said:

We have a nice 9 hole course here in my town.

http://www.haleslocationgolf.com/

Haven't played in a long time (being obese and having agoraphobia doesn't help) but I did shoot about 12 above par here once. My wedge and iron game is actually pretty good for a beginner, but I can't putt or drive worth a shit. 

In my career I've had 2 birdies and 4 pars. I don't care if I completely shank the ball in the wrong direction but nothing is more frustrating than one of those 50 yard "got more of the tee" drives. I do that way too often and I don't know why. I stuck to using irons exclusively because I just could not drive the ball.

When I was in college, I used to do dumb shit like hit balls from on top of the golf cart...when you get older you start to realize you have to pay for that shit if something breaks. Golf carts are expensive.

I played Iberostar Golf Course in the Domincan Republic last week while on vacation over there. Definitely one of the nicest courses I have ever played. Just beautiful out there.

Shot like shit though. I didn't think the course was overly tough, but I just couldn't drive the ball straight and my wood game was off. Kept topping the ball in decent positions on the fairway. I didn't have my own clubs but the rental clubs I used were good ones.

I shot like 21 over.

Just now, hangin n wangin said:

I played Iberostar Golf Course in the Domincan Republic last week while on vacation over there. Definitely one of the nicest courses I have ever played. Just beautiful out there.

Shot like shit though. I didn't think the course was overly tough, but I just couldn't drive the ball straight and my wood game was off. Kept topping the ball in decent positions on the fairway. I didn't have my own clubs but the rental clubs I used were good ones.

I shot like 21 over.

Yeah I always play in Siberia when I summer there

On 11/26/2019 at 11:53 PM, Tank said:

so we played mile square park, the classic course, on Monday. shot a 98 mostly because I don't have a decent driver. for the last three holes, one of the guys I played with let me hit his tailor-made driver (I forget which one it was, but I think it was the M3 or M4). wow, what a club. felt smooth and like I was hitting it right on the sweet spot. liked it enough that I've told my wife I want one for my bday in February. We'll look to find a used one since brand new runs 5 bills, and that's not doable. I've been checking Facebook marketplace and am seeing them regularly under $300, so we can probably make that work. I need to hit up golf galaxy and do their swing evaluation/custom fitting - they can match me to the right club. they also sell used clubs on consignment, so we'll take a look there as well.

it's hard to post a decent score when your drive only goes 150 yards and you have to hit your 3 wood for your second shot on most par 4s.

and @Adam, I liked the classic course. it reminded me very much of a course I played as a kid in Torrance/redondo beach called alondra park. I liked it because I didn't have to be a mountain climber to get on and off each tee box and green. I wouldn't have minded a few dogleg holes - everything was pretty much straight away. the greens were in incredible shape and the fairways were nice and healthy. I wish it was cheaper than $54.

It's crazy how much a good driver helps. I played with a piece of shit driver for the longest time and was just erratic. I can still be erratic at times, but the comfort level is just different with a better driver. The club faces are huge and it's just way easier to hit. I have the M3 and love it. Definitely recommended, but can be pricey....I would just get the older versions of what "M's" Taylormade offers. It's pretty much the same, but cheaper.

2 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

It's crazy how much a good driver helps. I played with a piece of shit driver for the longest time and was just erratic. I can still be erratic at times, but the comfort level is just different with a better driver. The club faces are huge and it's just way easier to hit. I have the M3 and love it. Definitely recommended, but can be pricey....I would just get the older versions of what "M's" Taylormade offers. It's pretty much the same, but cheaper.

I’m looking at a getting used one for birthday in February. Keeping an eye on the Facebook marketplace and the used club section at the golf galaxy in Pasadena.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

played el cariso on monday with a former student of mine. had a great time. shot 85 and made 6 pars. chipping sucked and i didn't make any long putts, but i putted the ball close and think i only had one 3-putt. 

using a new driver, the taylormade rbz. was given to me by a friend of a friend and i like it a whole lot better than what i've been using.

for christmas my daughter bought me a custom fitting for a driver at golf galaxy. i went in right after new years. it was quite an experience.

they have the swing cage set up and all of the technology to track stuff you know about and expect, as well as things i've never heard of.

we started off hitting the callaway rogue. wasn't overly excited about it. then switched to another callaway driver, the epic. thought i would like this one, but it was also rather blah. then hit the ping g400 (liked this one a lot), and the taylormade m3, m4, m5, m6 and their new sims (it's just hitting the market and there are ads on youtube, but nothing on regular golf broadcasts yet). i've been a fan of the taylormade clubs for a long while, and the one i hit best was the m5. it was slightly better than the ping for me in feel and statistics, so that's the one i'm requesting for my bday next month.

what was disappointing to me was find out how much my swing speed has dropped. the last time i had it measured was about 20 years ago, and i was consistently swinging at 103 mph. peaked at 107. because of that i've been using stiff shaft clubs. well, that's come to a screeching halt. i couldn't get my swing speed in this fitting above 83.6 mph, even on a couple of swings where i purposely tried to john daly it. my spin rate was also pretty high, and that explains why my shots tend to fade/slice as much as they do off the tee. my yardage with the m5 and ping400 were in the 220-230 range, which was lower than i hoped. when i first started hitting in the fitting i was 180-190. the guy suggested i move the ball a little more towards my front foot in my setup and that added yardage. because of my swing speed, i'm just barely above using whatever the old guys shaft flexibility should be, and will now use just a regular flex. i'm also going to buy a 10.5* driver and dial it down to about 9.5*, which is easier than buying a 9.5* driver according to the swing guy.

it was interesting to see all of the data and watch the flight of each drive. hit about 50 or 60 shots in total and would recommend this experience to anyone. the club fitting for one wood was $29.95. each additional wood is the same. irons were a different price which i don't remember.

i was hopeful of having them reshaft my irons, but that would be prohibitive. it's $17.95 for labor PER CLUB and then shaft prices start at $18.95 per club, plus whatever the grips cost. the clubs that @Adam stole from my garage were 0.5" longer than standard, and it made a big difference for me. to get my current clubs fitted to that length would cost in the neighborhood of $300, and at that price i might just as well start saving to buy a new set. the fitter guy said the callaway rogue irons come a half inch longer than standard already, so i may look into buying a set of those irons when i'm ready to replace what i have now (thanks again, @Blarg).

i'm enjoying the new taylormade rbz driver, but i look forward to replacing it with the m5 in a few weeks.

anyone interested in playing on the monday of president's' day?

• Chuck unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...