• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AW's golf scores

No problem right @Tank?  

Tiger Woods reveals plans for new 8,000-yard course in Utah, which includes a 700-yard par 5 and a nearly 300-yard par 3 (!)

An early rendering indicates the par-72 layout will measure over 8,000 yards from the back tees—including a par 5 (the 10th) that could be stretched to over 700 yards and a par 3 (15th) that tips out at 292 yards. Each par 5 would measure more than 600 yards. 

I had bought a Callaway Epic 5 Wood which completed a set of Driver, 5 and Heaven (7) wood all of the Epic max line. But for some reason two months into owning it the face had rusted along with parts of the sole plate. So I went back to Golf Galaxy and they returned the club to Callaway for repair but instead Callaway offered an exchange.

The catch was they don't produce the Epic series anymore so they were replacing it with a Rogue. Having no other recourse I accepted the 5 wood when it came in and took it to the range to try it out. I couldn't believe how unlike it was to the Epic series.

The weighting was completely different it felt as though there was an extra 8 ounces in the head, very bottom heavy and to me unbalanced. I could not get the feel for it at all and decided this has to go. So I checked inventory and the Golf Galaxy in Pasadena had one remaining Epic Max 5 wood in stock. So Saturday I went there and asked for a trade in. I was getting a lot of push back by the sales guys, how I had a used club and they couldn't sell it as new, blah, blah, blah.

Then the manager walks up and asks what was going on. I explained the situation and that I just wanted to trade in the Rogue which retails for about $300 for their old stock that they had marked down. He looked at the club and said sure but there would be a price difference, did I want store credit? 

I took the Epic to the driving range today and there was that very familiar balanced and solid feel off the center face. I don't have a fast swing speed and the Rogue was definitely designed for a different player in mind. The funny part is in the stall next to me was a beginner golfer with a brand new bag and all new Callaway clubs his employees bought him for retirement. A complete set of Rogue ST Max irons and matching Rogue driver, 3 wood and 5 wood, sand wedge, putter. In total about $3,000 worth of gear and 6 golf lessons to go with it. He thought they gave him a cheap beginner set. I guess he was more liked than he thought. 

9 hours ago, Blarg said:

I had bought a Callaway Epic 5 Wood which completed a set of Driver, 5 and Heaven (7) wood all of the Epic max line. But for some reason two months into owning it the face had rusted along with parts of the sole plate. So I went back to Golf Galaxy and they returned the club to Callaway for repair but instead Callaway offered an exchange.

The catch was they don't produce the Epic series anymore so they were replacing it with a Rogue. Having no other recourse I accepted the 5 wood when it came in and took it to the range to try it out. I couldn't believe how unlike it was to the Epic series.

The weighting was completely different it felt as though there was an extra 8 ounces in the head, very bottom heavy and to me unbalanced. I could not get the feel for it at all and decided this has to go. So I checked inventory and the Golf Galaxy in Pasadena had one remaining Epic Max 5 wood in stock. So Saturday I went there and asked for a trade in. I was getting a lot of push back by the sales guys, how I had a used club and they couldn't sell it as new, blah, blah, blah.

Then the manager walks up and asks what was going on. I explained the situation and that I just wanted to trade in the Rogue which retails for about $300 for their old stock that they had marked down. He looked at the club and said sure but there would be a price difference, did I want store credit? 

I took the Epic to the driving range today and there was that very familiar balanced and solid feel off the center face. I don't have a fast swing speed and the Rogue was definitely designed for a different player in mind. The funny part is in the stall next to me was a beginner golfer with a brand new bag and all new Callaway clubs his employees bought him for retirement. A complete set of Rogue ST Max irons and matching Rogue driver, 3 wood and 5 wood, sand wedge, putter. In total about $3,000 worth of gear and 6 golf lessons to go with it. He thought they gave him a cheap beginner set. I guess he was more liked than he thought. 

You should have offered him $200 for the "cheap" set after he gets frustrated.  

• 3 weeks later...

He was frustrated, could not connect with anything after his first lesson. Golf just isn't as easy as it looks. 

I thought my knee was doing better and played 9 holes last Sunday morning with my brother. It was 43 degrees when we tee'd off. Got a few pretty good drives and fairway woods going but by the end of the round I was limping like Tiger. Not playing this Sunday. 

Last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday the knee was back to stiff, painful and requiring icing and ibuprofen. I thought I was going to be able to skip surgery this time around but this Monday I get to schedule an orthopedic surgeon appointment to get a MRI. 

On 2/25/2023 at 9:22 AM, Blarg said:

He was frustrated, could not connect with anything after his first lesson. Golf just isn't as easy as it looks. 

I thought my knee was doing better and played 9 holes last Sunday morning with my brother. It was 43 degrees when we tee'd off. Got a few pretty good drives and fairway woods going but by the end of the round I was limping like Tiger. Not playing this Sunday. 

Last Sunday, Monday and Tuesday the knee was back to stiff, painful and requiring icing and ibuprofen. I thought I was going to be able to skip surgery this time around but this Monday I get to schedule an orthopedic surgeon appointment to get a MRI. 

You wearing a brace?  Or at least a compression knee brace?  I'd recommend it if you aren't.  

I have two different braces, a compression and hinged. Depending on how it feels that day is the one I use. Really damn hard to play golf with the hinged brace.

I have a referral coming this week for an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon. I will probably have to go through with the cortisone injection bullshit before they will authorize a MRI. There is no way I'll get surgery until at least late May, which is fine, because a I have a 4 day golf vacation scheduled in April. I'll be packing lots of Ibu and Voltaren while raiding my brothers fridge for ice. Should be fun. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I upgraded my putter from an Odyssey triple track. I liked the Odyssey for the lines that paired with the Callaway Chrome Soft triple track golf balls but I really didn't like hitting the Callaways off the tee. After three years I decided to change putters even though I was hitting the Oddysey well. I went with the Cleveland HB Soft-1 milled putter and the feel is completely different and in a good way. I won't be going back to cast after hitting a milled putter.

Played 18 last Sunday and the knee definitely wore out quickly. Dr appointment today and maybe I can convince him to shoot me up with some cortisone so I can play a few rounds next week with the brothers. Maybe not all four courses but skip a day for some recovery and putting practice. 

My wife had her first knee surgery a couple weeks ago and they sent her home with a cold water pump system with a radiator jacket to wrap around the knee to reduce inflammation. I'm going to be taking that with me along with lots of Ibuprofen. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Survived the Arizona four rounds in four days with the brothers and had a good time with up and down rounds. The cortisone shot definitely killed the pain so I was able to complete every round and still walk afterwards.

From Arizona I flew to Hickory, NC, for some real estate shopping and fit in a round of golf. The course was public and I had no problem getting a morning tee time the day before.  In fact I teed off without any partners, the course was far from busy.

It was also far from being in great shape but considering it cost $30 with a cart for an 8:30 tee time, I had no complaints with a couple of the greens needing a little repair. Very hilly course with blind tee shots but unlike a couple of the Arizona courses, the ball would stay on the green on approach shots, instead of hitting and rolling off. I can't remember what I carded but it wasn't bad. 

The most interesting golf related story from Hickory was the house I drove by and had to stop and turn around to go see.

20230420_170650.jpg

If you look to the right you'll see why I had to take another look. There is this beautiful house and it isn't backed up to a golf course, the owner put in his own practice island green.

It started as a pond and he thought if he made it a little bigger he could place an island out there to practice. So he got a contractor with a back hoe and started digging a wide circle for the extended shoreline. As they worked towards the center of the pond they dug up a spring and water started filling in everywhere. They got the equipment out in time but were worried they were going to flood out the entire property but just as it reached the banks the water stopped flowing. 

Great luck but they hadn't put in the island yet and the water was 20 feet deep or more. So they hired some guy with what is basically a catapult to throw rock and sand into the middle to build up an island. Then they used a skiff to paddle out equipment and astroturf to finish the job.

20230420_170152.jpg

The end result is he has three holes to fire at and if the balls drop in the water, no problem, they are made of a concentrated fish food. Which is a good thing since the lake is now filled with trout and the kids can fish from the shore or kayaks. 

The crazy part is it only cost $65k to build. This is how other people live and live well. 

i was hoping this story would end with you saying "so i offered the guy $400,000 on the spot and he accepted. we move in august 1."

imagine how fun it would be to be able to build your own island green.

Edited by Tank

• 4 months later...

The cortisone shot wore off over a month ago. I got another one after playing a best ball round with my brothers. Two teams, oldest and youngest vs the middle. I was playing with my brother John and between my drives and fairway woods and his 7 irons we literally destroyed the other two. We posted a 5 over round while they..., didn't. 

But by the 12th hole I was limping pretty hard. I could still drive the ball but even short irons were all over the place. Luckily you don't need two legs to putt so we did ok. Since it was best ball we never had to deal with a sand trap. Which is good, that's how I wrecked the knee in the first place.

The second cortisone shot hasn't been effective at all. Yesterday I played 18 and ended up taking a couple Naproxen to go along with 800 mils of IBU and it still flared up bad. My work schedule says I need to wait at least 9 weeks before I can get the knee worked on. Which probably works out well, it takes that long to get an appointment and then surgery clearance and a cut date. 

So until then, down some painkillers and keep playing. They will have to do the same repair regardless so I might as well get in a few rounds. 

On 7/3/2020 at 3:24 PM, hangin n wangin said:

I just got a golf coach. I’m still working from home most of the time and with my net I could practice a ton. I was already practicing a ton but obviously since I’ve never had lessons before I know there were many things I was doing wrong. Still am a 9 handicap but I really want to make the push to the low single digits. 

So I got lessons at golf code 360 in brea. Jay Lim is the founder of the process they teach and he has nothing but exceptional reviews. I think he has a total of like 160 reviews and they are all five stars except for like one.

Wow, crazy how time flies. I'm now a 3 handicap 🙂 I started lessons again this past April after I stayed at a 3 handicap for about a year. I'm still at a 3 but the swing is looking better and better. 

I also have a full simulator in my garage. To say I've gotten a bit obsessed is an understatement.

No Ragrats.

• 4 weeks later...

My son finished on the all state team. He would whip all your asses on the course. 

he is hoping to get some offers this next couple of weeks. He wants to stay in Utah so that limits him. Youth golf is pretty stacked here. Two schools are showing interest.  He could go to most D2 and naia schools but he doesn’t want to academically do that. 

in his final round of state his playing partner had the Alabama coach follow him the whole time. He literally stood 30 feet from him the whole time and just stared him and down and didn’t say a word. Just watched and stared. 

my son was the only player in all divisions to finish the season on the all state team and the all state academic team. Such a good kid. I hope he gets a shot to play d1 golf. It is hard to get that chance. Not a lot of available spots.