• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Machado to Padres....

floplag

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think it’s great that the Padres are showing some interest in building a winner.  You can wait around for prospects and the perfect moment ad nauseam, or you can actively move the ball forward.  Which in my view, the Padres are doing.  Manny Machado is a great player and the Padres are a better team today with him.  If they have any faith in their system yielding results any time soon why wouldn’t you do this ? It’s a 26 year old star.  The market was wide open for them.  Good for Padres fans. 

This, exactly. The fact that they have all those great prospects is WHY you go get this player in free agency. I can't understand why some people think you're better off waiting for every chicken to hatch perfectly.

23 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It won't be much under .800, but he will find the going tougher in that dense cool air in SD.   18 at bats is a small sample.

He's already had a recent sub .800 season in 2017, with all of those hitting friendly AL East parks.

In fact, 3 of his first 6 full seasons (2013-2018) produced a sub .800 OPS, playing a lot of games in those hitting friendly parks.

$300 million is a lot of cash for that.

Imagine Trout hitting in those AL East parks for some 115-120 games/season.  

Petco park factor last year ranked 13th in the majors. Changes in 2012 have pushed Petco to the middle of the pack from what used to be a pitcher's paradise.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Turns out that Machado was smart to wait.  He got that one team to win him.  

I hope Manny does really well in SD.  It will be good for the sport.  If he loses motivation and doesn't perform, that would stink because he's so talented.  

Only when he finally matures, will I believe that he can perform on a consistent basis at a higher level.   While he is only 26, 3 seasons out of 6 of sub .800 OPS is still something that he has to improve on.

23 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It's funny all the old men on this board who think Machado isn't a good player. 

Is he worth that contract, maybe, maybe not.

But not going to put up an over .800 OPS? Lol

Not all. I'm one of the board's old men an I think he's better than just good. I also think he has some personality /immaturity issues. Do I think he can overcome those to be one of the greats? I think he can and I also think he will. He's suddenly in a leadership role there and he's a star..and my guess is that he will step up.

If he does what I think he will, he will be worth every penny to an  organization that needs some star power and a clubhouse leader. The fans there sure deserve it.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

the Dodgers would have made the WS without him 

Would they ? If I’m recalling correctly they had to win a playoff game to get into the playoffs.  If they didn’t have Machado maybe they lose some random regular season game that he was the difference in and they don’t make the playofffs at all.  Machado was a heart of the order bat for them for half the season.  He gets credit for being part of a World Series team. 

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

Congratulations to the Padres. This is how you rebuild an organization. 

Lets hope its a winning rebuilt organization, cause they ain't done shit yet. Hosmer and Machado are both types of players who can lose interest and become mediocre real quick. Hosmer probably is already. Maybe Machado spark him for a while

The Padres payroll is 110 million with Machado.  Almost the entire team is under control.  They have Machado with the opt out in 5 years.  I don’t get the people (not on this board) with the smug “typical padres” take.  The only thing typical about the Padres is that generally they haven’t made these moves in their history.  How has that worked out ? 

Edited by UndertheHalo

'Despite multiple reports of an agreement, Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler said, "We do not have a deal. We are continuing discussions." '

Until this is confirmed by the Padres and Machado, this falls in the category of.............wait for it...................

Unconfirmed Rumor!!!

But, let's run with it, hey!

Anyway, if there is ANY city center that I wouldnt mind living in, of the 30 MLB teams, it's definitely downtown San Diego. I've been to Manhattan, DT Seattle, DT Chicago, DT Boston, Denver, SF, LA of course. The rest arent even in the running. San Diego is the best. You'd never need to leave in the off season, with that weather.

Not that he will live downtown, of course. But I'd spring for a high-rise, penthouse pad downtown, a slip for the yacht in Shelter Island (quick exit to the sea and some great courtesy-docking in SD Bay for partying) and maybe the main digs in La Jolla or PB. 

Machado has got it made! Single guy, right?  What a city!!! Hot chicks everywhere;  gringas and Hispanics!!!

33 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The Padres payroll is 110 million with Machado.  Almost the entire team is under control.  They have Machado with the opt out in 5 years.  I don’t get the people (not on this board) with the smug “typical padres” take.  The only thing typical about the Padres is that generally they haven’t made these moves in their history.  How has that worked out ? 

Angel fans need to fast forward about 3 years from now and substitute Trout for Machado and what will probably be a lesser farm system yet more financial punch. 

The padres are probably still two years away but at some point you have to try and get the crystal ball out.  Every team is tasked with this.  Those with good farm systems about to contribute need to make choices about when.  

4 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

'Despite multiple reports of an agreement, Padres executive chairman Ron Fowler said, "We do not have a deal. We are continuing discussions." '

Until this is confirmed by the Padres and Machado, this falls in the category of.............wait for it...................

Unconfirmed Rumor!!!

But, let's run with it, hey!

Anyway, if there is ANY city center that I wouldnt mind living in, of the 30 MLB teams, it's definitely downtown San Diego. I've been to Manhattan, DT Seattle, DT Chicago, DT Boston, Denver, SF, LA of course. The rest arent even in the running. San Diego is the best. You'd never need to leave in the off season, with that weather.

Not that he will live downtown, of course. But I'd spring for a high-rise, penthouse pad downtown, a slip for the yacht in Shelter Island (quick exit to the sea and some great courtesy-docking in SD Bay for partying) and maybe the main digs in La Jolla or PB. 

Machado has got it made! Single guy, right?  What a city!!! Hot chicks everywhere;  gringas and Hispanics!!!

Machado is married.  His bro in law is Alonso.  

17 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

You can pretty much take the quotes from the Pujols signing and replace them with Machado's today.

"This signing makes the Angels interesting!"

- Colin Cowherd

I think Machado will do better than 6.2 WAR in seven seasons. By a lot.

And I dont think the Padres will have four losing seasons out of his first seven. Nor will they make the playoffs only once in his first seven.

Manny's SD quotes will be much more positive than Albert's.........can't help but be.

I think its a decent move for SD. If they have the money (they obviously do), why not throw a bonafide star in the mix with some very affordable young talent.

Not sure how this effects how good they will be in the short term. And personally I dont feel hes worth that much money. But hes still a star player. 

Gonna be funny to see how much crap he gets from dodger fans for at least the next season.

8 minutes ago, Throwman91 said:

Trout can easily command a 12 year 600MM deal, I say bye to him if he does though.  At that point one player is hampering the success of a team by spending less on surrounding players.

No team will do that. In guaranteed money that's way too much for anyone these days.