• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Machado to Padres....

floplag

5 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

On the other hand, the Padres team has been dead for decades, save an occasional dead cat bounce.

Truth that....but if their prospects are really that good, why not supplement them with more affordable FA's that create a well rounded team, also leaving some room to make a trade or sign more FA's....With Hosmer, Machado and Harper (if there is any truth there), they'll be signing nothing but minor league FA deals in a few years...

48 minutes ago, DMVol said:

That would effectively kill the franchise in a few years....they might contend in the short run if their prospects pan out but they wouldn't have any money to spend on anything else going forward....think of all the things we could have done with the 450 million we spent on Pujols, Hamilton and CJ Wilson....

Im curious, how would this kill them?  I dont know anything about thier financials but both would still only put them around 150M.  Plus I think you are forgetting the prospect capital they would have for trades.
With regard to the 450M whatever.... i think the problem with our fan base is that we are living in the past and dwelling on our mistakes.  Who cares?  how long are we going to use this excuse?  Right now, today, we have one bad contract, one, and were letting it cripple us.
It may not work out for them, time will tell, but i for one give credit for the effort if nothing else over looking back and being timid.   They are doing what they need to do to make a legitimate run at the Dodgers while we are accepting our fate and conceding to the Astros. 

12 minutes ago, floplag said:

Im curious, how would this kill them?  I dont know anything about thier financials but both would still only put them around 150M.  Plus I think you are forgetting the prospect capital they would have for trades.
With regard to the 450M whatever.... i think the problem with our fan base is that we are living in the past and dwelling on our mistakes.  Who cares?  how long are we going to use this excuse?  Right now, today, we have one bad contract, one, and were letting it cripple us.
It may not work out for them, time will tell, but i for one give credit for the effort if nothing else over looking back and being timid.   They are doing what they need to do to make a legitimate run at the Dodgers while we are accepting our fate and conceding to the Astros. 

They have better prospect capital to deal with than we had a few years ago, but when you have so much money tied up in 2/3 players, you end up with a Daniel Nava/Craig Gentry platoon in LF or Johnny Giavotella at 2b....

4 minutes ago, DMVol said:

They have better prospect capital to deal with than we had a few years ago, but when you have so much money tied up in 2/3 players, you end up with a Daniel Nava/Craig Gentry platoon in LF or Johnny Giavotella at 2b....

Is that possible, perhaps, but with what they have coming up to fill those holes, or possibly be dealt to fill them..something we did not have as an option at that time, it doesnt seem likely.  
They are being positive and pro-active, putting things in place so that when the farm kicks in they are in a position to be extremely good for an extended period. 
We are playing it safe, waiting for the farm to kick in before acting. 
Again it may not work out, but they are going right after the big dog head on, if nothing else i respect that. 

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

Is that possible, perhaps, but with what they have coming up to fill those holes, or possibly be dealt to fill them..something we did not have as an option at that time, it doesnt seem likely.  
They are being positive and pro-active, putting things in place so that when the farm kicks in they are in a position to be extremely good for an extended period. 
We are playing it safe, waiting for the farm to kick in before acting
Again it may not work out, but they are going right after the big dog head on, if nothing else i respect that. 

It's not black and white, for sure...I think we are also waiting on Pujols' deal to end (or close to over), in addition to waiting on Adell and the young guys to be ready...

39 minutes ago, floplag said:

Such a bullshit post flop.   You ignore they built their farm first, which is exactly what we are doing.  They don’t have an Albert on the books.   They have $110 million payroll this coming year.  Praise them all you want, but they signed one guy.  Last year we signed Upton and Ohtani, and you still pretend other teams are committed and the Angels aren’t.   You are being purposely ignorant with all of this, again.  

5 minutes ago, floplag said:

We are playing it safe, waiting for the farm to kick in before acting. 

Nope.  We've got a bunch of things in place while waiting for the farm to kick in.  

We've spent on avg about 75 mil more per year on payroll for the last several years.  

In other words, we've already spent the money they are spending now.  

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

That would effectively kill the franchise in a few years....they might contend in the short run if their prospects pan out but they wouldn't have any money to spend on anything else going forward....think of all the things we could have done with the 450 million we spent on Pujols, Hamilton and CJ Wilson....

A ton of damage had we signed them when they were 25-26.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Such a bullshit post flop.   You ignore they built their farm first, which is exactly what we are doing.  They don’t have an Albert on the books.   They have $110 million payroll this coming year.  Praise them all you want, but they signed one guy.  Last year we signed Upton and Ohtani, and you still pretend other teams are committed and the Angels aren’t.   You are being purposely ignorant with all of this, again.  

im not ignoring anything.  of course they built it, or are in process of... but in a different path than we have which you tend to ignore thru some really lean years.  
Their farm isnt quite ready to kick yet, but they saw opportunity and jumped at it.  When it does, they have the other parts.  
I hate to break it to you but there are more than your way to do things, shocking i know but yeah. 

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Nope.  We've got a bunch of things in place while waiting for the farm to kick in.  

We've spent on avg about 75 mil more per year on payroll for the last several years.  

In other words, we've already spent the money they are spending now.  

Which has nothing to do with the current situation. 
The point is that they are not waiting for the farm to be ready, they are taking action to be ready when it is. 
We on the other hand are wasting those efforts youve mentioned on a 500 team while we wait for the farm to kick in. 
There is a very large difference in those plans.

2 minutes ago, floplag said:

im not ignoring anything.  of course they built it, or are in process of... but in a different path than we have which you tend to ignore thru some really lean years.  
Their farm isnt quite ready to kick yet, but they saw opportunity and jumped at it.  When it does, they have the other parts.  
I hate to break it to you but there are more than your way to do things, shocking i know but yeah. 

Yes they traded all their players of value.  We aren’t.  If we traded Trout you’d criticize that.  Who would you rather have Machado or Ohtani?I completely understand there are other ways of thinking, mine isn’t always right, in this case yours is wrong, simply because you are praising a team while criticizing the Angels even though they are in different places in their development 

43 minutes ago, DMVol said:

No, you end up with slop at positions when you have a terrible farm that can't deliver any baseline, serviceable players.

Today I learned that the Padres haven't been waiting for their farm to kick in....   Nope..   Truly a team to aspire to.

The last 11 years where they have refused to spend and been mired in two different rebuilds never happened -- Nope...   While the Angels have been dealing with "lean years" waiting on their farm, the Padres have gone through a glorious halcyon period that saw them win more than 77 games ONCE.   Again, truly they are a franchise to be envied.

If only the Angels would have have the guts to run out bottom five payrolls for half that time... then maybe they would have been trying to win.

Damn the facts, push the narratives...

Edited by Inside Pitch

15 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Heres the thing about San Diego vs other city. As nice as SD is...its not like these guys really get out and enjoy it. I think some of you are a little out of touch with a MLB players schedule.

Aside from the fact youre on the road every other week, during the home week, you basically have time to get up, get lunch, and head to work. Most of those guys get to the park around 3 at the latest. 

You might head out for drinks at night, sure. But usually (not always) the position players call it after an hour or two. Especially being thst they usually dont leave the park until about 1030 or so. 

So its not like the magic of San Diego would have a huge appeal. Of that were the case, not only would more guys be signing there, but places like San Fran, Denver, Miami etc would be huge hot spots for FAs. 

NY and LA of course, but theres way more to it than the city. Ie money.

The weather for those 81 home games could factor into it.

34 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Today I learned that the Padres haven't been waiting for their farm to kick in....   Nope..   Truly a team to aspire to.

The last 11 years where they have refused to spend and been mired in two different rebuilds never happened -- Nope...   While the Angels have been dealing with "lean years" waiting on their farm, the Padres have gone through a glorious halcyon period that saw them win more than 77 games ONCE.   Again, truly they are a franchise to be envied.

If only the Angels would have have the guts to run out bottom five payrolls for half that time... then maybe they would have been trying to win.

Damn the facts, push the narratives...

But people have opinions and stuff. 

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

No, you end up with slop at positions when you have a terrible farm that can't deliver any baseline, serviceable players.

Sure, absolutely true....that is part of it....and if you are weak at one position in the farm, you might trade from a position where you are strong....but, it's hard to be consistently strong, year in year out, across the board in the minors....guys develop or don't, you have a wave of guys come up and then there is a lull....dead weight in your payroll puts more pressure on the farm system and in making good trades.....if you want a model for year in, year out farm contribution to the bigs, mixed in with FA signings and trades, it might be the Cardinals...they seem to balance things pretty well, haven't had to do a full rebuild, like the Cubs and Astros...

Padres have been a worthless tank franchise as long as I can remember. I applaud them for making this move though. They need to try to win in the next few years with their farm system and Machado obviously has a VERY good chance of being worth the money, at least for the first 3 years of the deal.

Honestly this is the first time I can remember in my life time where the Padres have made a move that showed they're really interested in competing for a WS in coming years at some point. 

That's pretty pathetic

2 hours ago, floplag said:

The discussion on 1090 was adding Machado puts them $20+ million over their income from last season. There will be a revenue increase because of a ticket sales boost but even if they went to the World Series, adding Harper puts them further in debt per year. Justifying losing $30-50 million a year is hard to get past the investers/ownership if their prospect pool doesn't pan out and they don't reach the playoffs each season. 

22 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Padres have been a worthless tank franchise as long as I can remember. I applaud them for making this move though. They need to try to win in the next few years with their farm system and Machado obviously has a VERY good chance of being worth the money, at least for the first 3 years of the deal.

If he's only worth the money for 30% of the deal, is it a good deal?

Pujols notwithstanding. I don't think anyone (other than Pujols) still thinks that was a good deal.

Edited by Taylor

2 hours ago, floplag said:

They don’t have to let a bad contract cripple the team. There’s many ways to relieve the pain. I think this season they’ll use Pujols differently ... now that Scioscia has left the building.  :)

btw It was pitching that crippled the team the last few seasons. 

33 minutes ago, Taylor said:

If he's only worth the money for 30% of the deal, is it a good deal?

Pujols notwithstanding. I don't think anyone (other than Pujols) still thinks that was a good deal.

My point is he has a chance to be MORE than worth it the first 3 years, worth it the next 3, then overpaid the last 4.. So you get 6 good/great years during your WS window.

I know you all disagree

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

The discussion on 1090 was adding Machado puts them $20+ million over their income from last season. There will be a revenue increase because of a ticket sales boost but even if they went to the World Series, adding Harper puts them further in debt per year. Justifying losing $30-50 million a year is hard to get past the investers/ownership if their prospect pool doesn't pan out and they don't reach the playoffs each season. 

of course, assuming those numbers to be accurate.  Im not suggesting anything other than i like the fact that they are being aggressive, having some faith in what they are doing, and going for it.  

Can you just imagine the collective boner on 1090 that grew when they heard the Machado news?

San Diego has strictly become a minor league town.  Minor league hockey, minor league football, no basketball, not even MLS.  And their MLB baseball team would be 30th out of 30 teams as far as recognition.