• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Machado to Padres....

floplag

I think it’s great that the Padres are showing some interest in building a winner.  You can wait around for prospects and the perfect moment ad nauseam, or you can actively move the ball forward.  Which in my view, the Padres are doing.  Manny Machado is a great player and the Padres are a better team today with him.  If they have any faith in their system yielding results any time soon why wouldn’t you do this ? It’s a 26 year old star.  The market was wide open for them.  Good for Padres fans. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

1 minute ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think it’s great that the Padres are showing some interest in building a winner.  You can wait around for prospects and the perfect moment ad nauseam, or you can actively move the ball forward.  Which in my view, the Padres are doing.  Manny Machado is a great player and the Padres are a better team today with him.  If they have any faith in their system yielding results any time soon why wouldn’t you do this ? It’s a 26 year old star.  The market was wide open for them.  Good for Padres fans. 

26 is the key.  He fits right into now AND the future.

He is kind of douchy but he absolutely fits the Angels for today and the future.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

26 is the key.  He fits right into now AND the future.

He is kind of douchy but he absolutely fits the Angels for today and the future.

Ya I don’t give a f*ck about any of the supposed “douche” stuff.  The Dodgers somehow managed to make it to the World Series despite his “malignant” presence.  I don’t recall his orioles teammates bitching about him.  There’s a narrative that’s on him that I could care less about.  The Angels have their money in guys already.  It is what it is.  Machado would have been an amazing get for us. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Ya I don’t give a f*ck about any of the supposed “douche” stuff.  The Dodgers somehow managed to make it to the World Series despite his “malignant” presence.  I don’t recall his orioles teammates bitching about him.  There’s a narrative that’s on him that I could care less about.  The Angels have their money in guys already.  It is what it is.  Machado would have been an amazing get for us. 

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/ct-spt-white-sox-dodgers-manny-machado-20190215-story.html

Dodgers loved him.

BTW, you stated you could care less about the narrative which means you do care, at least a little.

9 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

How exactly? Look at Machado's WAR. He's also only 26. He is worth 30 million a year.

he'll be playing half his games in Petco instead of Camden. how big of a hit will his stats take as a result?  his career road ops is .761, and that's playing a boatload of games in NY and Boston. 

last year, his ops was 138 pts lower in LA than it was in Baltimore. 

6 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

the Dodgers would have made the WS without him 

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Opt out at 5 years.

The Padres probably just got Machado for 5/150.

Doubtful. Its not like he had a million offers this time around, when the whole catch was his youth.

5 years from now he'll be in his 30s, with 5 years of NL west hitting stats behind him, not AL east 

Just now, ten ocho recon scout said:

Doubtful. Its not like he had a million offers this time around, when the whole catch was his youth.

5 years from now he'll be in his 30s, with 5 years of NL west hitting stats behind him, not AL east 

Players don't need a million offers.  They only need minimum of one.

And what we can't project is what will be "normal" for salaries at that time.

fan
2:10
Do you think the Padres did the right thing? For their team? In relation to Machado's real value?

Tim Dierkes
2:11
Yes I do.  This is not the Hosmer signing; Machado is a star player.  Say he's good for 42 WAR and we value a win at a mere $8MM, and we use only 1% inflation.  Even then he's worth $350MM over ten years.  If I had signed Machado to this deal, I'd feel that I got both surplus value and one of the ten best position players in baseball.  Yes please.

32 minutes ago, Lou said:

he'll be playing half his games in Petco instead of Camden. how big of a hit will his stats take as a result?  his career road ops is .761, and that's playing a boatload of games in NY and Boston. 

last year, his ops was 138 pts lower in LA than it was in Baltimore. 

Yep, and now a total of about 100 games a season will be played in pitchers' parks (Petco, the Latrine, and whatever AT&T is now named).

Has any hitter ever flourished in Petco Park?   Great stadium, but the dense nighttime air cuts drives down.

First 2019 prediction:  Machado will have a sub .800 OPS.

Padres need to make up 25 games to reach the 91 wins....just to catch the Rockies.

Do the reach 25 more wins?  Not sure, but with the DBacks and Giants on a down trend...and if you are building for the next five years...the NL West, with the Rockies, Dodgers and Padres is going to be some exciting ball to watch.

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Yep, and now a total of about 100 games a season will be played in pitchers' parks (Petco, the Latrine, and whatever AT&T is now named).

Has any hitter ever flourished in Petco Park?   Great stadium, but the dense nighttime air cuts drives down.

First 2019 prediction:  Machado will have a sub .800 OPS.

I'll take that bet for $50, I'll take over .800 OPS

It won't be much under .800, but he will find the going tougher in that dense cool air in SD.   18 at bats is a small sample.

He's already had a recent sub .800 season in 2017, with all of those hitting friendly AL East parks.

In fact, 3 of his first 6 full seasons (2013-2018) produced a sub .800 OPS, playing a lot of games in those hitting friendly parks.

$300 million is a lot of cash for that.

Imagine Trout hitting in those AL East parks for some 115-120 games/season.