• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Democratic Field

12 hours ago, LAAMike said:

I do not know if this is the right thread to comment on many Democrats seemingly supporting Social Security for illegal immigrants.  This is even crazier than Reparations.  

Yep, this is the right thread, and your comment is appreciated.

2 hours ago, yvangelfan said:

Yep, this is the right thread, and your comment is appreciated.

And now Biden is supposedly naming his running mate as Abrams from Georgia and he hasn't even yet formally entered the race.  More craziness!

18 hours ago, LAAMike said:

I do not know if this is the right thread to comment on many Democrats seemingly supporting Social Security for illegal immigrants.  This is even crazier than Reparations.  

What makes you think that any large number of democrats support social security for illegal immigrants ? I doubt there’s a strong plurality that support reparations.  I am aware that Buttieg (I may have botched his name) is a reparations guy.  

I can only speak for myself, I’m quite progressive.  But I do not support either of those things.  I think that in a perfect world there’s a moral argument to be made for reparations being just - hypothetically.  But we don’t live a perfect world.  There’s no way to quantify the damages owed.  How do you identify who’s owed something ? There are other groups that have also been terribly abused in our countries history.  So what about them ?   I don’t view it as realistic.  I think it would be source of severe social discord.  I just don’t think it’s something that would be positive.  I think the greater good is to focus on programs that help everyone.    

I do support the idea that permanent residents or other legal aliens who pay taxes, including into social security should have a right to claim benefits (and I believe they do)  if they’ll be living here in their retirement years.  That only seems fair to me. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

What makes you think that any large number of democrats support social security for illegal immigrants ? I doubt there’s a strong plurality that support reparations.  I am aware that Buttieg (I may have botched his name) is a reparations guy.  

I can only speak for myself, I’m quite progressive.  But I do not support either of those things.  I think that in a perfect world there’s a moral argument to be made for reparations being just - hypothetically.  But we don’t live a perfect world.  There’s no way to quantify the damages owed.  How do you identify who’s owed something ? There are other groups that have also been terribly abused in our countries history.  So what about them ?   I don’t view it as realistic.  I think it would be source of severe social discord.  I just don’t think it’s something that would be positive.  I think the greater good is to focus on programs that help everyone.    

I do support the idea that permanent residents or other legal aliens who pay taxes, including into social security should have a right to claim benefits (and I believe they do)  if they’ll be living here in their retirement years.  That only seems fair to me. 

Neither permanent residents nor legal aliens are illegal immigrants.  I do agree that if you paid into social security you should be able to receive the benefits you have earned.  

27 minutes ago, LAAMike said:

Neither permanent residents nor legal aliens are illegal immigrants.  I do agree that if you paid into social security you should be able to receive the benefits you have earned.  

Right, I’m just saying I don’t think there’s really strong support for that among democrats generally.  Even among fairly progressive voters. 

I was just giving an example of non citizens I feel should receive these kinds of entitlements. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

36 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Right, I’m just saying I don’t think there’s really strong support for that among democrats generally.  Even among fairly progressive voters. 

if this is true, who is actually supporting it? why is this even a consideration?